Top 10 Wish List

I'm not interested in putting together a full draft board... but I thought it would be fun to rank my top 10 players that I'm hoping the Bengals take with their two 1st round picks.

It's surprising to me how quickly I start to get disappointed after the first few names start dropping - but if the Bengals get two of these guys, I think they will have done pretty well for themselves.

1) Trent Richardson - I don't think he'll be there. But if he is, he by far represents the BPA. Top 5 talent who falls because of the position he plays, and just so happens to be a position of major need for the Bengals.

2) David DeCastro - Also not expected to be there at #17... and again, if he falls it is because he's a OG, not a OT. But he is one mean son of a bitch, and would go a long way toward remaking the Bengals O-Line.

3) Cordy Glenn - Dude's a beast of a man, and would be an instant upgrade to whichever OG spot they put him at (hopefully LG, with Bobbie Williams returning for one more season).

4) Dre Kirkpatrick - I struggle with this one. If he falls, he'll represent a top 10 talent... but he's also not a perfect fit in a press man coverage scheme. Even still, he's the #2 CB in this draft, so if he's the BPA, he should probably be the pick.

5) Alshon Jeffery - I don't feel very good about this. But at the same time... if my top 4 guys are all gone, Jeffery represents the best talent on the board (and you don't get top 10 WRs this late in the draft very often). He's the best deep threat in this draft, and lining him up opposite AJ Green makes this offense a very dangerous for a very long time.

6) Jamell Fleming - I know I'm probably in the minority on this guy... but he fits what the Bengals ask of their CBs perfectly. If he's the pick at #21, I'm happy as a clam.

7) Chris Polk - I love this guy. He makes my heart flutter. The only reason I don't have him in my top 5 is that I don't think he represents a great value at #17 or #21. But if he's the pick, I'll quickly get over that complaint, because he's going to be an absolute stud.

8) Janoris Jenkins - I'm not a fan. I think he's a head case, and too much of a risk. That said... he's a stud. He's the best press coverage corner in this draft. He's only an average tackler, but he's physical at the line of scrimmage, and has all the tools to create a Revis Island effect. I hope he's not the pick... but if all of the previous 7 guys are gone, he's the BPA, and it's not close.

9) Peter Konz - I'm a big Cook fan... but the Bengals don't have any depth at the position. Konz would be a fantastic LG, and it's nice to have a guy who can naturally move to Center if injuries warrant it.

10) Melvin Ingram - This guy is good. He doesn't represent a need... but a lot of the best talent in the 15-25 pick range is D-Line. He can play some LB too... and with question marks surrounding Dontay Moch, this might be an opportunity to enact the old "You can never have too many pass rushers" axiom.

Love the picks Derek and agree with everything you wrote there.

I think people are truly underestimating how huge it would be to add another top talent to the WR position. Don't get me wrong, it's not a "must have", but look at what happened when teams starting focusing all their efforts towards Green. If Dalton had another WR to take the pressure off, it would be a field day. Give him a RB to boot and I become even more excited about what this team is going to do come next season.

I won't be upset with almost anything they do in the first round unless they pass up an obvious BPA at a position of need like Richardson.

Like you though, I don't expect him to be there.

I think everything depends on what they do in FA. If they get themselves a big name guard or a starter at Guard, then i dont see them taking one early in the draft.

The WR class this year is pretty big, and i think they can get a pretty good one in the 3rd round if they want one. Im not sure they will be looking at a WR early, but i love the Alshon Jeffery pick, he was my favorite WR this year.

I still think they will be looking at CB early in this draft, so i expect one there.

It also wouldnt suprise me to see them take a LB early.

Since imintation is the sincerest form of flattery I copied your post without premission to make my changes.

1) Trent Richardson - I don't think he'll be there. But if he is, he by far represents the BPA. Top 5 talent who falls because of the position he plays, and just so happens to be a position of major need for the Bengals.

2) David DeCastro - Also not expected to be there at #17... and again, if he falls it is because he's a OG, not a OT. But he is one mean son of a bitch, and would go a long way toward remaking the Bengals O-Line.

3) Morris Claiborne - Assuming you didn't put him here because you were assuming he would be gone, probably will be gone but he is clearly the best DB prospect.

4) Kelechi Osemele - Cordy Glenn is a beast, Osemele is beastier. They both have nearly identicle size. My problem with Glenn is that he was abused last year in a couple/three games (Boise State, Alabama and LSU) and while he was playing out of position, I like Osemele better because he consistently dominated last year.

5) Cordy Glenn - Dude's a beast of a man, and would be an instant upgrade to whichever OG spot they put him at (hopefully LG, with Bobbie Williams returning for one more season).

6) Dre Kirkpatrick - I DON'T struggle with this one. LOVE Kirkpatrick and totally agree he could be either a CB or a Safety, will be interesting to see how fast he runs at the combine.

X) Alshon Jeffery - Don't want a first round WR.

7) Jamell Fleming - I know I'm probably in the minority on this guy... but he fits what the Bengals ask of their CBs perfectly. If he's the pick at #21, I'm happy as a clam.

X) Janoris Jenkins - I'm not a fan.

8) Peter Konz - I'm a big Cook fan... but the Bengals don't have any depth at the position. Konz would be a fantastic LG, and it's nice to have a guy who can naturally move to Center if injuries warrant it.

9) Melvin Ingram - This guy is good. He doesn't represent a need... but a lot of the best talent in the 15-25 pick range is D-Line. He can play some LB too... and with question marks surrounding Dontay Moch, this might be an opportunity to enact the old "You can never have too many pass rushers" axiom.

10) Mark Barron - Leader on the best D in College Football, it is a moot point because two of these guys will be available by the time we pick but if he is our pick at #21 I will be "happy as a clam".

Not a Fan of Drafting a RB in the first whose name is not Trent Richardson.

3) Morris Claiborne - Assuming you didn't put him here because you were assuming he would be gone, probably will be gone but he is clearly the best DB prospect.

Yes... that was my reasoning. Furthermore, I would put him ahead of both DeCastro and Richardson. However, there are experts out there that think Richardson or DeCastro "might" fall to #17... but I can't find a single human being who thinks Claiborne lasts past the #5 pick... so I didn't figure it was worth my time to include him on the list.

4) Kelechi Osemele - Cordy Glenn is a beast, Osemele is beastier. They both have nearly identicle size. My problem with Glenn is that he was abused last year in a couple/three games (Boise State, Alabama and LSU) and while he was playing out of position, I like Osemele better because he consistently dominated last year.

I like him... just not more than Cordy Glenn. Osemele looked really good at the Senior Bowl, so he may have bumped himself into the 1st round, but until recently, he was thought of as a mid-2nd round guy. Glenn on the other hand has quicker feet, the versatility that the Bengals like in the O-Linemen, and was a former teammate of both AJ Green and Clint Boling (not to mention the higher level of competition throughout the season).

X) Alshon Jeffery - Don't want a first round WR.

I get where you're coming from. But I don't think you can dismiss the BPA just because of the position he plays. Especially when that position is one of need. If the Bengals sign Robert Meachem (or someone like him) in FA, I'll change my tune... but right now, I think you have to at least consider this pick.

X) Janoris Jenkins - I'm not a fan.

Why aren't you a fan? Is it his height? Is it his off-the-field stuff? Is it that he's only an average tackler?

I can respect all of that. My only argument is that if all the other guys I like ahead of him are gone, he'd certainly be the best value pick.

10) Mark Barron - Leader on the best D in College Football, it is a moot point because two of these guys will be available by the time we pick but if he is our pick at #21 I will be "happy as a clam".

Barron is a Strong Safety who is average at best in coverage. It makes a lot more sense to bring back Reggie Nelson and fill other needs in the draft. Besides... FS is where the Bengals really needed the upgrade this year and that's something that Barron doesn't provide.

Barron might be the best safety in this draft... but that's mostly because this is such a weak class. I don't think he carries a 1st round grade, so I'd be much more likely to trade the #21 and take Markelle Martin in the middle of the 2nd round.

I am not a fan of Janoris Jenkins because he is a 5'9 1/2" CB in a league where WRs keep getting bigger and stronger. I do not believe he can jam some of the larger WRs (see Johnson, Calvin and Andre) nor can he compete in the red zone with guys like that. I am not a fan because he does not seem to be a complete football player, not supporting the run and allowing YAC if a WR does catch the ball. I am not a fan because he has been arrested 5 times int he last 3 years and seems to put himself over the team.

As for Mark Barron, I like him for his leadership ability. Polamalu was knocked for his ability to cover as well but he was a student of the game and improved himself. I like Barron to do the same thing, he is a complete football player, he has the ability to do everything he needs to do he just needs to practice it a little, what impresses me the most are his intangibles. Mark Barron can be the QB of our defense, something we are sorely lacking IMHO. As I said however, it is a moot point because @ #10 there will be others I regard higher than him that will be available at both #17 and #21.

At 5'9 I really lost a lot of excitement for Jenkins. I think it's to much of a risk for many reasons. If he's the pick, I will find a way to be happy, but deep down won't be. I'm stuck with the safety position, but have a feeling the coaches are going to stand pat with trying to resign Nelson and hope we have Crocker's replacement on the roster. They have said as much to start and then when looking at our needs, I don't see us taking a safety before the 4th round. If we do that, how much of an upgrade would they present over what we already have. Yes, it would have to be a free safety, we are full of strong safeties.

Everything will depend on free agency, but if we were drafting based on what we have right now, my first three picks would be OG, CB, and RB, but not necessarily in that order. My 4th round pick would be the best route running WR. If they do their homework, those four picks are starters this coming season.

You could argue OLB, but I think they resign some guys and go with what they have. Same for the DT spot.

Oh yeah, resign Chris Pressley please...

What about Stephon Gilmore, im starting to like this guy. From what i see he could be that physical CB if Kirkpatrick is not there. He is not afraid to tackle, and watching some videos on him he looked pretty good. Just another guy to keep your eye on.

Gilmore is probably the 2nd CB in this draft... but he's not great in man coverage. He's a zone guy, and that doesn't fit well for what the Bengals ask their CBs to do.

So Derek, I was looking at mocks and was wondering if you happened to see the new one on the Walter Football site?

The reason I ask is I looked at your original post again and then saw where Charlie Campbell had all of your top 4 available when we start picking at #17 ?? Funny thing is, he had us taking Richardson, but then had us passing on Kirkpatrick and went with Mark Barron.

I would be going crazy if all of those guys were there, but then pissed off if we picked Barron.

Anyway, just another mock....

So Derek, I was looking at mocks and was wondering if you happened to see the new one on the Walter Football site?

The reason I ask is I looked at your original post again and then saw where Charlie Campbell had all of your top 4 available when we start picking at #17 ?? Funny thing is, he had us taking Richardson, but then had us passing on Kirkpatrick and went with Mark Barron.

I would be going crazy if all of those guys were there, but then pissed off if we picked Barron.

Anyway, just another mock....

Agreed.

First of all, if the Bengals don't take a CB in 1st round, my jaw will hit the floor.

Secondly, the Bengals might need a Safety... but not a SS. Barron doesn't really even fill a need.

If the 1st round does fall like that, and the Bengals don't want Kirkpatrick for some reason, I would still be quite content with Jamell Flemming - because while he might not have quite as much talent as Kirkpatrick, I think he might be the best fit in Cincy... and that matters.

Richardson and Kirkpatrick is an awsome first round

Decastro and Kirckpatrick is a great first round

As you can tell im starting to really like Kirkpatrick, the more i read on him the more i like. He will fit really well in Zims system. Flemming is also good, he had a senior bowl and wouldnt mind that pick at all.

I just read that Chris Polk saw his stock drop after the Senior Bowl, because he "looked slow" in practice.

I don't get that rationale... but I hope it's true. He's still my favorite RB not named Trent Richardson, because while he might not have elite top end speed (neither does Richardson), he does hit the hole with explosion and power, has excellent vision/patience, and has very soft hands as a receiver.

I hope his stock plummets and he's available in the 2nd round... because he's going to be a stud.

I just read that Chris Polk saw his stock drop after the Senior Bowl, because he "looked slow" in practice.

I don't get that rationale... but I hope it's true. He's still my favorite RB not named Trent Richardson, because while he might not have elite top end speed (neither does Richardson), he does hit the hole with explosion and power, has excellent vision/patience, and has very soft hands as a receiver.

I hope his stock plummets and he's available in the 2nd round... because he's going to be a stud.

Ah something i have not seen in sometime from Benson hitting the hole with explosion, i love that. Not to mention a good pair of hands, i agree he will be a great WCO running back. Not sure if he will be there though in the second when the bengals pick, but if they use it on him it will be a great pick.

Derek, it seems we are of the same mind heading into this draft and will admit that having Polk fall to us in the 2nd would be equally as exciting as who we draft with our first two picks. Everything I have seen from Polk (i've watched a bunch of his games) is something I would love to watch alot more of in stripes. So if they want to say he's slow or whatever makes him fall is nothing but music to my ears and when the second round comes run to the podium !!!

10) Melvin Ingram - This guy is good. He doesn't represent a need... but a lot of the best talent in the 15-25 pick range is D-Line. He can play some LB too... and with question marks surrounding Dontay Moch, this might be an opportunity to enact the old "You can never have too many pass rushers" axiom.

Yeah, I am starting to see more mocks projecting him to Cincinnati at 17. He seems like a prototypical Marvin pick: potential "joker" type guy whose "upside" will make the LB coach in Marvin drool like Niagara Falls.

• 2 months later...

Ok... I made my first wish list 2 and a half months ago. I thought I would update it now with just a couple weeks before the draft.

1) David DeCastro - He's the top guy I'm hoping is there at #17. Plug DeCastro in at RG along with the upgrade at LG Wharton provides... and this O-Line immediately becomes the strength of the offense. (Previous pick: Trent Richardson)

2) Stephon Gilmore - Not a perfect fit for the Bengals scheme (better in zone than press coverage)... but a fantastic athlete who should only get better. Also can help as a punt returner, where the Bengals struggled last year. (Previous pick: David DeCastro)

3) Trent Richardson - He's still my favorite overall player in this draft. He falls to my 3rd favorite option because in order to leapfrog the Browns, Cincinnati would have to give up both first round picks and next year's 2nd round pick to get him. Two of those picks were gifts from Oakland... so it's free money. It would probably be worth it... but it's still a lot to give up, and thus not my first choice. (Previous pick: Cordy Glenn)

4) Melvin Ingram - He is not expected to fall to #17... but if he does, I'd jump on it. The Bengals have some very good interior pass-rushers, but MJ has disappointed as an edge rusher. Ingram, Atkins, and Dunlap could become the most feared pass rushing D-Line in the NFL. I like that. (Previous pick: Dre Kirkpatrick)

5) Michael Floyd - I still don't love the idea of taking a WR at #17... But if my top 4 guys are all gone, Floyd will represent the best talent on the board. I'm not sold on Floyd as a true #1 WR... but the Bengals have AJ Green. He should not have trouble finding success as a #2. (Previous Pick: Alshon Jeffery)

6) Cordy Glenn - If the Bengals grab Gilmore at #17 and manage to get Glenn at #21, I'll be smiling ear to ear. The dude is massive, but very light on his feet. Can also become a good OT when the time comes. (Previous Pick: Jamell Fleming)

7) Dre Kirkpatrick - I'm not a huge Kirkpatrick fan. In fact... I think I might like Jamell Fleming more. But Kirkpatrick is certainly physical. I still like him more as a FS than a CB, but if his off-the-field problems check out, he's probably worth the pick at #21. (Previous Pick: Chris Polk)

8) Courtney Upshaw - Copy/Paste what I wrote for Ingram... except for the #21 pick instead of #17. (Previous Pick: Janoris Jenkins)

9) Alshon Jeffery - I still think this guy is the best WR in this draft. I know there are weight concerns... and that's why he might be there at #21. But he's just a natural stud and represents a ton of value at a position of need. His best attribute is his ability to go get the ball even if it isn't thrown perfectly... so playing opposite AJ Green, there would be matchup problems all over the field. (Previous Pick: Peter Konz)

10) Chris Polk - A lot of people won't think this is good value... but I firmly believe Polk is a 1st round talent. If the Bengals want him, they'll either have to take him at #21, or trade up to early in the 2nd round. Polk is the best RB not named Richardson in this draft (although Doug Martin is not far behind). If Polk or Martin are drafted at #21, you won't hear me complain. (Previous Pick: Melvin Ingram)

Jamell Fleming, Janoris Jenkins, and Peter Konz all fell out of my top 10.

Fleming would be 11th on my wish list... but I imagine the Bengals will get either Gilmore or Kirkpatrick, so it's a non-issue.

Jenkins just scares the s**t out of me, and I don't want the headache unless it is with the #53 pick.

Konz just doesn't represent great value to me. If they don't take DeCastro or Glenn, there will be a good OG available in the 2nd round.

I find that when I sit down and think about who I'd like them to pick at 17 and 21, the final answer that keeps coming up is, I don't really care.

Not, I don't really care because it doesn't matter, the Bengals will screw it up somehow, etc. or anything like that. I mean, I don't really care because nearly every position group could stand improving and unless they do something totally screwy they will get two guys who can come in and help immediately.

Really, it's a pretty stress-free scenario. The Bengals just follow their board, take BPA at both spots, and then bask in Mel Kiper's praise.

Really, it's a pretty stress-free scenario. The Bengals just follow their board, take BPA at both spots, and then bask in Mel Kiper's praise.

I was pretty pleased with free agency for this very reason. The Bengals have some needs - but very few positions where they absolutely must get an immediate starter.

If that position exists, it's probably CB... and this is why I think they need to get a CB with one of the 1st round picks, even if it means slightly reaching (which I think would be the case for either Kirkpatrick or Fleming).

Other than that... yeah. D-Line, O-Line, LB, WR, RB - whoever the best player on the board is, I'll be happy enough.

I was pretty pleased with free agency for this very reason. The Bengals have some needs - but very few positions where they absolutely must get an immediate starter.

As you might imagine, I was displeased with free agency for this very reason. The Bengals have few positions at which they need an immediate starter - but at the cost of setting for a lot of mediocre, short-term solutions.

We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Count me in as being displeased. They signed a bunch of players that didn't allow them to cross off the position in the draft.

CB, OG, RB, and WR are still needs and still being discussed as first round options. I would have preferred they got at least a single starter that projects as a solution for more than a season or two at best. I would shore up whichever position they got in FA and free up the draft further enabling them to actually go BPA. I know they are considering the future, but that is still more than a single season away.

The top picks from this years draft will be in the same situation. What then ??

Was a single player really that much ??

I stopped asking for Carl Nicks soon into the process as well, so don't go there.

I won't be upset with almost anything they do in the first round unless they pass up an obvious BPA at a position of need like Richardson.

I just hope they don't pass on someone like David DeCastro because he's a guard and the Genius Paul Alexander

Tells em that Jacob Bell is going to be the best Guard in football...Otherwise may be RB,WR,DE,DT or LB if it's BPA I'll be okay with it over G & CB

I think they will take DeCastro if he is there at #17. Heard on NFL.com they think DeCastro will fall all the way to us at #21 and we will take a corner either Kirkpatrick or Gilmore @ #17....got to say if we end up with Gilmore and DeCastro in the first and take a WR or RB in the second or perhaps a guy like Bruce Irving you won't be able to slap the grin off my face.

I think they will take DeCastro if he is there at #17. Heard on NFL.com they think DeCastro will fall all the way to us at #21 and we will take a corner either Kirkpatrick or Gilmore @ #17....got to say if we end up with Gilmore and DeCastro in the first which ever way it falls and take a WR or RB in the second or perhaps a guy like Bruce Irving you won't be able to slap the grin off my face.