Your top 3 keys to the game and prediction

cincyhokie

For the Bengals to win they need to:

1. Generate a consistent pass rush and get Yates on the ground.

If the Bengals allow TJ Yates to find his receivers, most notably Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, it's going to be a long game. Forcing Yates to make mistakes and rush his throws is crucial. Having Dunlap healthy for this game is HUGE. With him in the game, Atkins and Peko can potentially have a huge impact in this game. Daniels is going to get his catches regardless, but they cannot let Andre Johnson have a big game. Taylor Mays who had some success covering Daniels because of his size and speed is still bothered by his hamstring injury and is questionable at best to play. Don't give Yates time to make big plays. Last meeting the Bengals had 5 sacks and contained Yates until the end of the game. They need to do this again for 60 minutes.

2. Stop the run.

The Bengals simply cannot allow Foster and Tate to dictate the pace of this game. Not only will big runs keep the Bengals defense on the field, it will open up the Bengals secondary to play action where Daniels and especially Andre Johnson thrive. In the last game, the Bengals held Foster to 41 yards on 15 carries and aside from one long run to Tate, kept him under control as well. The Bengals have done a poor job in maintaning their gap discipline the last half of the season. From my seat in the south end zone last Sunday it was interesting to see from that angle how may players were out of place on those long Rice TD runs. If the Bengals do that on Saturday, they are in trouble again.

3. Let Dalton and AJ take shots down the field and spread the ball around to Gresham and even Hawkins.

The Texans are almost unbeatable when they hold the opposing team under 20 points this season. The Bengals need to score some points and most importantly be effective in the red zone. The Bengals biggest threat to move the ball comes with AJ softening up the defense with big plays. Even if AJ does not catch everything thrown his way, he has to be accounted for and has had several big PI calls benefit from him being targeted. The more effective the Bengals are in getting the Texans off the line of scrimmage, the more they will be able to use Benson, eat up the clock, and get Gresham going underneath. The Bengals have discovered some out of the box ways of spreading defenses out by using Hawkins in the passing game. Also, with end arounds and screens to Hawkins and Green the Bengals can slow down an amped up and overaggressive Texans defense. Don't let the Texans crowd the line of scrimmage, take shots down the field, and spread the ball around, especially on first downs.

My prediction:

Texans 21

Bengals 17

The Bengals just don't have enough consistency right now to play a complete game which is what they will need to do to stop the Texans offense and score enough points to win. Their margin of error has been small all year and it's even smaller in the playoffs. The Texans are the better team and will be benefited by the home crowd. It's going to come down to turnovers. If the Bengals don't get any, which they've struggled with this seasons, they're in trouble. It's been a hell of a season and I am proud of this team regardless!!!! WHO DEY!!!!

I think stop the run should be on the top of your list at #1. Only reason why is because they know thats what Houston is going to do, so stop it, and if you let Yates beat you, then so be it you dont deserve to win then. I agree with pressure, but if they can make them one dimensional that help out more then ever.

Yea i agree with AJ, he needs to be more into this game, since hurting his shoulder you dont see much of him. So find a way to get him the ball.

Run the ball, i would love to see this team actully run the ball over 30 times, and let Dalton throw it just 20 times, something like that. He cant throw the ball over 40 times and expect to win, so i would love to see them pound the ball. You know what i want to see how about, using Benson and Scott in the backfield at the sametime, or Brian and Scott, or Brian and Benson, just something different. I think in the playoffs if the bengals can get the running game going, then can win some games!

I think stop the run should be on the top of your list at #1. Only reason why is because they know thats what Houston is going to do, so stop it, and if you let Yates beat you, then so be it you dont deserve to win then. I agree with pressure, but if they can make them one dimensional that help out more then ever.

Yea i agree with AJ, he needs to be more into this game, since hurting his shoulder you dont see much of him. So find a way to get him the ball.

Run the ball, i would love to see this team actully run the ball over 30 times, and let Dalton throw it just 20 times, something like that. He cant throw the ball over 40 times and expect to win, so i would love to see them pound the ball. You know what i want to see how about, using Benson and Scott in the backfield at the sametime, or Brian and Scott, or Brian and Benson, just something different. I think in the playoffs if the bengals can get the running game going, then can win some games!

Yep. Well said. I actually agree with this more than what I had previously written. Especially, not having Dalton throw more than 20 times. Think Sanchez vs. the Bengals in the 2009 AFC Wild Card Game. The "good Sanchez".

Yep. Well said. I actually agree with this more than what I had previously written. Especially, not having Dalton throw more than 20 times. Think Sanchez vs. the Bengals in the 2009 AFC Wild Card Game. The "good Sanchez".

Its the playoffs its time to play to win, not play to lose! I think last time these two teams played they played not to lose. We saw the defense go into prevent mode, and let the texans dink and dunk down the field. Its time to play to win!

If they can get the running game going, i think this team can more dangerous then ever, meaning keeping the other teams on the sideline. I just want to see some different lineups out there, maybe use 3 tightend sets, with 2 RBs things like that! The o-line needs to show up keep there pad levels, and off the ball fast and physcial, and i do think they can do it. Take your shots when they are givin, dont force things when they are not there. I think this game comes down to not turning the ball over, dont make the stupid penalties, and run the ball!

Its the playoffs its time to play to win, not play to lose! I think last time these two teams played they played not to lose. We saw the defense go into prevent mode, and let the texans dink and dunk down the field. Its time to play to win!

If they can get the running game going, i think this team can more dangerous then ever, meaning keeping the other teams on the sideline. I just want to see some different lineups out there, maybe use 3 tightend sets, with 2 RBs things like that! The o-line needs to show up keep there pad levels, and off the ball fast and physcial, and i do think they can do it. Take your shots when they are givin, dont force things when they are not there. I think this game comes down to not turning the ball over, dont make the stupid penalties, and run the ball!

I liked the way the offense was moving the ball in the second half against the Ravens. The O-line was in synch and Benson was rumbling. You're exactly right about controling the line of scrimmage and keeping the pad level low. If the Bengals can run the ball like that in the first half and take control of this game early, the chances of us winning are much better. If they play from behind again, and this time on the road, it's going to be awfully tough to win.

What's your prediction?

1. Stop the run. The Bengals did not do it last week and have struggled consistently over the last half of the season. The defensive line has made a habit of getting manhandled early in games (primarily Geno Atkins) lately, and that simply cannot continue.

2. Be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I want to see the Bengals throw the ball, and maintain a consistent, quick tempo. I don't suggest they should ignore the running game obviously, but I don't think it's as essential as many others seem to. Houston's defense performs well against either typical methodology anyways. This means I am hoping for a strong pass-blocking performance from the offensive line, which they've done well all year (in cohorts with Dalton's quick reads).

Put pressure on Yates. Try to confuse him with disguised blitzes and atypical coverage schemes. Take the football away from him and produce opportunities for the offense to dictate the game.

3. Don't beat yourselves. The Bengals can't afford to lose easy fumble recoveries because they don't fall on the ball. They can't miss on short or intermediate field goal attempts. We can't have shanked or blocked punts. If the Texans punch us in the mouth in the first quarter, keep your head up and stay disciplined. Don't draw idiotic penalty flags.

Regarding my expectations:

Point number 1 will worry me until I see the Bengals performing well on Saturday. I don't trust the run defense very much right now and have seen little reason to change my attitude.

Point number 2 is a personal preference which may or may not reflect the Bengals' actual gameplan. Marvin has always been conservative though, so I am less than confident he'll give Gruden total free reign to go for the jugular. Zimmer's scheme seems to change every week, but he was pretty aggressive against the Texans last time until the infamous final drive.

Point number 3 is guesswork. I don't think the Bengals are especially guilty of screwing themselves over as compared to any other team. There's no reason to outright expect them to f**k it all up, I think, but that doesn't mean they won't. I'll remain optimistic on this front though and assume they'll play well.

Prediction:

Houston 17

Cincinnati 16

My two cents on the matter is based on the running games. Cincy finds one and contains Houston's, we got a game. Personally I have little faith in the Bengals running the ball, so I'm calling a 17-13 Texans win.

I wish I felt different.

f**k the texans, all their fans really think this is going to be a blow-out. This game will be too big for yates and he s**ts his pants. Team with best turn-over diff wins in an uber conservative contest.

Yates we can handle IF we play against the run. It's crazy to game plan otherwise. Make the 3rd string QB beat you.

1. Stop the run. We seem to all be in agreement here. The Texans offense is pretty pedestrian if they can't run the ball. Force Yates into 3rd and long to possibly get some turnovers, thus controlling the field position battle.

2. Target AJ Green so much that Houston is forced to double him. Joseph has been limited this week with an ankle injury. We all know that JJ can have a poor game from time to time based on his tenure with us. If we can force them to double AJ, that means he is beating their secondary. This will open up running lanes for Benson and Scott, as well as holes over the middle for Gresham. The one thing we haven't had recently is a dominating performance by a single player on offense. If we target AJ 12-15 times, he'll have a huge day because we know what he can do with those targets.

3. Snuff out the screen passes on defense. I figure we'll probably get decent pressure on Yates during the course of the game. If we succeed in my #1 key of stopping the run, then the only thing the Texans can do to nullify the pressure is to throw screen passes. Foster is extremely dangerous if he has a convoy of blockers out for him. I think the opposing teams screen game is what gets me the most frustrated on Sundays. Good tackling eliminates successful screen plays.

Prediction:

Bengals 24

Texans 14

Well he threw it 42 times, i said he cant throw it that much if they want to win. Damn they need a running game, and i cant wait till they find one, i think Dalton will be great under an awsome o-line that can run and pass block!

They key to this game was someone like Trent Richardson.

When Benson and Scott could not get it going, and not to dive into a rant about the weak line play of McGlynn and Livings, I was screaming for them to get Peerman into the game. We saw Leonard get some touches but that was garbage yards into prevent coverages.

Another key to the game, in hindsight, is defensive backs. Jones had as bad of a game possible. Bad tackling, poor coverage decisions and nothing to come in from the bench to help. That sucked. The lack of quality depth really bit them. Plus, Crocker blew a few coverages and generally tackled like a girl. That whole unit is in disarray with Leon in a lengthy rehab on his achilles, which begs many questions about his potential to gt back to a high level of play.

Running Game

O-line

Defensive Backs

Oh, and also, Marvin is a terrible coach. Must be said.