Best Young Bengals Team Ever?

Sea Ray

Some of us are going to show our age here but I've been thinking, is this the best young Bengals team I've ever seen? I'm not sure but it's close. Perhaps the best young team was the 1973 Bengals where Jim LeClair, Tommy Casanova, Isaac Curtis, Len Elliott and Boobie Clark were all first or 2nd yr players. Ken Anderson was starting his third yr.

I'd say this year's team is the best young Bengals team since 1973. What do you folks think?

Some of us are going to show our age here but I've been thinking, is this the best young Bengals team I've ever seen? I'm not sure but it's close. Perhaps the best young team was the 1973 Bengals where Jim LeClair, Tommy Casanova, Isaac Curtis, Len Elliott and Boobie Clark were all first or 2nd yr players. Ken Anderson was starting his third yr.

I'd say this year's team is the best young Bengals team since 1973. What do you folks think?

What do I think? I think you're probably right on the money with that assessment.

The 1981 team was pretty young too.

I don't think they compare as well. In looking at the 1980/81 drafts the only notable players were Cris Collinsworth and Anthony Munoz. In fact they included complete busts in the 1st/2nd rds, David Verser/Kirby Criswell. Is Kirby Criswell the only (healthy) Bengal 2nd rounder to ever fail to make the team? I can't think of any other. Injuroes like Kenny Irons doesn't count

I hear what you're saying but Isaac Curtis highlights would look awfully impressive too. He's still the best WR I've ever seen in Bengal stripes but AJ Green may sway me eventualy

The 1981 team was pretty young too.

I don't think they compare as well. In looking at the 1980/81 drafts the only notable players were Cris Collinsworth and Anthony Munoz. In fact they included complete busts in the 1st/2nd rds, David Verser/Kirby Criswell. Is Kirby Criswell the only (healthy) Bengal 2nd rounder to ever fail to make the team? I can't think of any other. Injuroes like Kenny Irons doesn't count

But look at the 1979 draft where they had 4 starters, including Max Montoya and Charles Alexander.

I hear what you're saying but Isaac Curtis highlights would look awfully impressive too. He's still the best WR I've ever seen in Bengal stripes but AJ Green may sway me eventualy

The word "incomparable" doesn't proceed all usages of "Isaac Curtis" for nothing. That said, rookie v. rookie Green is outperforming Curtis, and pretty much every other rookie WR in team history.

Just to update some of those numbers through 8 games:

Green: 40/599/5

Scott: 24/516/4

Brown: 29/469/3

Collinsworth: 33/450/3

Curtis: 25/398/2

Dunno about teams, different era and all that. Do know I've never seen anything like this.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERcPppZe7g

I had to watch this 3 times to be sure of what I was seeing! Two rookies (in Bengals uniform no less) emerging as stars in this league. Andy and A.J. are going to be just fine together.

The word "incomparable" doesn't proceed all usages of "Isaac Curtis" for nothing. That said, rookie v. rookie Green is outperforming Curtis, and pretty much every other rookie WR in team history.

Just to update some of those numbers through 8 games:

Green: 40/599/5

Scott: 24/516/4

Brown: 29/469/3

Collinsworth: 33/450/3

Curtis: 25/398/2

It's so hard to make comparisons to different generations. There have been so many rule changes, system changes, etc. that it's just not an even playing field. For example back then, the pass interference penalties had to look like a street mugging to get a call. Lester Hayes wasn't called Lester 'The Molester' Hayes because of off the field activities.

It's so hard to make comparisons to different generations.

Absolutely. I think I even said that before. But if we're going to have a thread comparing this team to every other Bengals team, this is what you get.

Green is living up to every ounce of draft hype. And then some.

Absolutely. I think I even said that before. But if we're going to have a thread comparing this team to every other Bengals team, this is what you get.

I really think the biggest differences come from the changes in rules over the years. Back in the early 80's and before QBs had to worry about getting planted in the ground a'la Jim Burt on Joe Montanta. WRs also weren't given as much leeway as far as pass interference penalties as I mentioned with Lester Hayes. There used to be so much jersey pulling, arm bars, and everything else. Also the 5 yard chuck rule wasn't enforced which made it harder for WRs to get off the line. When you think about these things, it makes the stat that guys like Marino, Montanta, and Rice put up even more amazing.

More so Since factor in he has a "Rookie" QB throwing to him,Also may be different era on rules but you also have different breed of athletes in todays nfl..