Who Could Have Been the Next Big Thing?

Spor_tees

After Bengalpimp's accusations that Ki-Jana Carter could have been special had he not been injured, gave me the idea to start this thread.

Who do you think would have been one of the greatest Bengals of all time had not their career been derailed for some reason or another? You can't use Greg Cook because SEVERAL of us would agree he could have been something special had he not blown out his shoulder.

This is actually a pretty hard question to answer. I am going to go with a not so obvious answer. I think Reggie Rembert could have been something special had he not had his attitude problems and addiction to alcohol. Reggie had the skills and size to be Randy Moss before there ever was a Randy Moss. It was a true shame to see a career takes such a quick and downward spiral. Maybe if they had the same type of off the field help like they do now, his career could have been semi-resurrected like Chris Henry's was.

I'll throw out 3 kind of obvious ones.

Ki-Jana Carter

Ickey Woods

and Odell Thurman (I mean, just going off his rookie year, who knows how good he could have been)

***Honorable mention (Special Teams): Tab Perry......Who doesn't still carry the image of him on that kick return, carrying Steelers on his back for the last 30 yards all the way down to the 3 ? They had plans to convert him to TE because of his size, but that was all derailed by a hip injury.....He was a special teams demon, both Kickoff AND Return....

I think Pollock would have been a beast.

Ki-Jana could have been special maybe but to what degree I don't really think Is aw that much of him to make a judgement.

Dennis Weatherby??? ....how's he doing these days???

I think Pollock would have been a beast.

Ki-Jana could have been special maybe but to what degree I don't really think Is aw that much of him to make a judgement.

Dennis Weatherby??? ....how's he doing these days???

I haven't heard anything about Weathersby since he came out of the hospital after his bad car accident. That guy has had a lot of tragedy in his life.

Bo Jackson ?? The name springs to mind but i don't know much about him at all.

Bo Jackson ?? The name springs to mind but i don't know much about him at all.

Haha come on we are only talking about Bengals guys! The Bengals actually put Bo Jackson out of commition. They say the reason the Bengals haven't won a playoff game is the curse of Bo Jackson!

David Pollack.

I was not sold on Pollack, I think he was too much of a tweener. All of a sudden we started hearing about that his arms were too short to get away from the offensive tackles and stuff like that (didn't they measure that at the combine). He looked to robotic when they tried to convert him to straight linebacker (Vice hybrid linebacker/DE) which IMO led to him getting that neck broke because his tackling technique was clearly not right. This is just my opinion nobody will be proven right or wrong when it comes to these subjects because it's all a guess game when discussing stuff like this. I know he would have been eventually better but it was just a shock to me that a first round pick in the NFL was learning the proper technique to tackle, seems like that was bad scouting on our part and that he should have been drafted a little bit later.

David Pollack.

I was not sold on Pollack, I think he was too much of a tweener. All of a sudden we started hearing about that his arms were too short to get away from the offensive tackles and stuff like that (didn't they measure that at the combine). He looked to robotic when they tried to convert him to straight linebacker (Vice hybrid linebacker/DE) which IMO led to him getting that neck broke because his tackling technique was clearly not right. This is just my opinion nobody will be proven right or wrong when it comes to these subjects because it's all a guess game when discussing stuff like this. I know he would have been eventually better but it was just a shock to me that a first round pick in the NFL was learning the proper technique to tackle, seems like that was bad scouting on our part and that he should have been drafted a little bit later.

I was also not a Pollack fan. Anytime the Bengals drafted a player and then tried to change his position it was a failure. Ask Reinard Wilson as well. Pollack was big enough to play end in college and fast enough to beat the tackles to make plays. In the NFL he wasn't big enough to be an end but not fast enough to be an affective linebacker. He was a stand up guy and I hate that his career ended the way it did, but I don't see him being 'great.'