Tank Johnson Released

jonahdsage

Not only that, but I flash back to the Hard Knocks episode where Zimmer is trying to tell Tank about his attitude and how he's perceived.

Tank looked clueless. Like a little boy being scolded by his school teacher.

With all the young guys being brought in, his attitude probably had a part in it along with his level of suck...

Not only that, but I flash back to the Hard Knocks episode where Zimmer is trying to tell Tank about his attitude and how he's perceived.

Tank looked clueless. Like a little boy being scolded by his school teacher.

With all the young guys being brought in, his attitude probably had a part in it along with his level of suck...

I agree with you on this. Does this appear to people that Marvin is having more of a say on roster decisions? If so (which I believe he is) that is a step in the right direction.

My memory of Tank Johnson? Only this:

Watching Marvin Lewis verbally abuse him on the sidelines for jumping offsides... then seeing him go out and do the same damn thing the very next game (followed by lots of smiling, trash talking, and gesturing as if he had done something good, or that the O-Line should fear him).

I was weary of him. It's time for Atkins to be a starter anyway.

I was weary of him. It's time for Atkins to be a starter anyway.

This.

Some time ago I graded out every snap by Bengal defensive lineman over a four game period and one of things that jumped out at me wasn't how little production the Bengals got from any of their DT's, but more specifically....how few snaps any of them played. Only Domata Peko played more than a dozen snaps in any game. Pat Sims was said to be uninjured, but declared inactive for half of the games during the time period. As for Tank Johnson, he averaged under 8 snaps per game, almost all of them on 1st down. That was barely more than the rookie Atkins averaged due to the latter players ability to contribute in the Bengals 3rd down pass rushing packages. And there's the rub because one of the things that jump out when you watch Tank Johnson play is how little he has left beyond his trademark explosive first step. His initial burst petered out almost instantly.....like a fighter whose legs are gone.

"Out with the old, in with the new."

Those were words I typed multiple times as we saw the Bengals part ways with the likes of Willie, Rudi, Thornton, Deltha O'Neal, Dexter Jackson, and Levi Jones.

Many of those moves were viewed as premature because there were no proven players behind them to step in. But the Bengals got younger. And a very short time later... better.

Watching this offseason seems familiar. Under a variety of circumstances, I've seen the Bengals part ways with Palmer, Chad, Dhani Jones, Reggie Kelly, Tank Johnson, and Roy Williams.

"Out with the old, in with the new."

Perhaps the Bengals are the worst team in the NFL. Who knows? They were in the running for the honor back in '08... But the last time this happened, they were also only a year away from sweeping the AFCN.

Yeah, I agree with that Derek. I don't know how far away they are from taking the North, but i'm happy they are making moves like this and look forward to watching these young guys develop. Hopefully next draft they address both lines and safety position with their first three picks. Take as many of the remaining picks to move back up again and target someone they actually can use, as opposed to additional fodder. I say this because it's not like they are going to go after someone worth while in free agency.

Tank was a stalwart in 2009, and he is tough as nails. A good signing for this team. Now Geno,Clinton, and Shirley need the reps and Tank wasn't a practice regular. Sorry to see Tank go, but it was to be expected,