Joseph signs with Houston

walzav29

I suppose I thought too much of Palmer because I was just hoping for something good. I am glad the circus is over, and these new guys seem great. That whole quiet leadership from the QB position seems cowardly. I have the sense that Palmers wife calls the shots. He's just a spineless guy. New era has begun, and Andy Dalton seems like a true leader. It will be nice.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guy really need to find your relax button.

I am seriously confused over some of the anger. I had written this season off as a rebuilding year about three seconds after last season ended. Which was about the time that Palmer quit. Once Palmer quit, this die was cast. I am with bwilly (fat old), perhaps we are alone on this with Hair and Derek, but I am looking forward to turning the page. Jonathan Joseph was not going to change this team's trajectory in 2011, and given his frequent trips to the injured list, I always had questions as to how much of a tentpole he was for when this team is good again.

In the meantime, I am kinda psyched for seeing AJ Green and the rest of those young receivers work together without Chad. I am psyched to see them work with quarterbacks who both profile as actual leaders, as opposed to what we had here for Palmer era. And in terms of replacing Jonathan Joseph, well, I am somewhat content that he plays one position that is manned by a position coach and a defensive coordinator who are really good at their jobs. So I am guessing whatever FA they get in combination with what is still on the roster will fill the gap nicely.

Perhaps I am sanguine because this always looked like a 4-win season to me from the moment that Palmer quit. But it is, at least, a 4-win type season with a purpose, as opposed to the hell that was the Bengals last year. Or, really, the hell that was the Bengals in 2008. 2009 was a nice surprise, but, really, masked the prolonged death throes of that Chad/Carson era.

We have moved on now, and it pleases me. Best of luck to Joseph in Houston, hope he finds some health and is good. He was a good guy here. But he wasn't the tentpole some of you think, and I suspect he will disappoint Houston fans over time relative to his contract and the expectations he will come in with.

This sounds strangely famliar to what we all told ourselves when we let Steinbach go. Deja vu.

Now this time we lose a key part of the defense. And defense is supposed to be the strong side of the team just as the offense was in 2006. Go back and look at the way the team played in games Joseph wasn't in the game. He's much more important than many of you are giving him credit for.

They lost steinbsch and still made the playoffs in 2009. Life goes on. How many winning years has cleveland had with steinbach? And, to this day, I don't get the pining for steinbach. I have never really forgiven him for his ole block of kimo that arguably was the beginning of the end of the palmer era.

They lost steinbsch and still made the playoffs in 2009. Life goes on. How many winning years has cleveland had with steinbach? And, to this day, I don't get the pining for steinbach. I have never really forgiven him for his ole block of kimo that arguably was the beginning of the end of the palmer era.

I don't think it's really a concern what team did what with the player that left. What's important is the effect it had on this team when the player, in this case Steinbach, left. The offense slipped dramatically. Dominant offense in 2005 that wasn't kept in tact and we all saw what happened. Coincidentally, the Browns did go 10-6 that season when he arrived.

We can downplay Joseph's departure all we want. He was a huge reason for the the success we had on defense. I don't mind seeing some youth develop and going through a rebuilding year but you can't just lose all the pieces. Go look at the best teams in the league and how they maintain their strengths. This team is FAR BEHIND the curve as of now.

Maybe the Bengals can replace his productivity this season but I doubt it.

It's not that I thought JJoe was a "must have", but with money to burn, they had the ability to keep some consistency on the defense.

Sure he's been hurt, but if (as others have already said) he gives the Texans 13 games, he's a steal, then why wouldn't the Bengals offer that ??

Why ?? Because JJoe didn't want to play here.

It goes more to the thought of what this organization does that makes players think of playing elsewhere.

Mike Brown babbling on about Carson's word and committment doesn't help.

Again, when your plan is to build through the draft, you can't simply have your top round draft picks walk away.

You have to make an effort to build a winner and Mike Brown and company have failed at that. MISERABLY.

Until they can build a consistent winning organization, top end draftees will continue to leave.

Good luck JJoe...

This sounds strangely famliar to what we all told ourselves when we let Steinbach go. Deja vu.

It's what gets said every time a quality player walks:

We didn't need him anyway!

TKO, Steiny, Justin, Madieu, TJ, Joseph, heck even Palmer (he sucks! washed up! we were 4-12!)...the names change but the song remains the same.

When we lose Hall next March, suddenly he'll be a POS, too.

I thought madieu sucked in minny. Didn't they just cut him? I was one of the few that thought smith was a loss, but a lot of people on these boards HATED him and his play here. And he hasn't exactly led SF to glory, has he? Didn't tj suck in Seattle? And in baltimore?

In fact, in reviewing the list of Bengals FA losses, I am reminded again what a team game this is, and that one player doesn't tend to fix crappy teams.

I thought madieu sucked in minny. Didn't they just cut him? I was one of the few that thought smith was a loss, but a lot of people on these boards HATED him and his play here. And he hasn't exactly led SF to glory, has he? Didn't tj suck in Seattle? And in baltimore?

In fact, in reviewing the list of Bengals FA losses, I am reminded again what a team game this is, and that one player doesn't tend to fix crappy teams.

they do when you play man coverage :lmao:

MB knows how to manage a cap.

Compared to who? Seriously? Well then, it's a good thing we can win at managing the cap. It's evident we're not good at actually winning consistently.

Annnnd the rest of the competitive NFL zooms on by...

Business as usual, folks. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm not sure what your problem with my comment is.

I didn't say I love the way the offseason is going. I think Joseph should have been re-signed. I'm simply saying that MB won't be forced into bad contracts with mediocre players to make it to the cap floor.

MB does know how to manage the cap, and will reach the cap floor one way or the other without being forced to pay big money to lackluster FAs. The new CBA won't force MB to change the way he does things. He'll continue business as usual. It's the other owners that will be forced to adapt.

MB knows how to manage a cap.

Compared to who? Seriously? Well then, it's a good thing we can win at managing the cap. It's evident we're not good at actually winning consistently.

Annnnd the rest of the competitive NFL zooms on by...

Business as usual, folks. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm not sure what your problem with my comment is.

I didn't say I love the way the offseason is going. I think Joseph should have been re-signed. I'm simply saying that MB won't be forced into bad contracts with mediocre players to make it to the cap floor.

MB does know how to manage the cap, and will reach the cap floor one way or the other without being forced to pay big money to lackluster FAs. The new CBA won't force MB to change the way he does things. He'll continue business as usual. It's the other owners that will be forced to adapt.

I misunderstood you then.

Why ?? Because JJoe didn't want to play here.

I dunno. JT has had some interesting comments over on his blog, and the bottom line is that it looks like the Bengals blew it. Joseph indeed was willing to play in Cincy and JT knows what he was asking for in terms of a new contract last year. He says it "shocked him" that it was so low.

Thornton also think this will have repercussions in the locker room. JJoe was liked and respected, he says, and everyone was fully expecting the Bengals to re-sign him.

Thornton also think this will have repercussions in the locker room.

Meaning exactly what?

That we'll see an angrier version of players going through the motions?

Clock watching with more of an attitude?

Even more acts of highly principled quitting?

Frankly, I think I could openly embrace the loss of Joseph if it somehow resulted in this teams roster developing a pulse.

Per Reedy, Zim's not happy...

joereedy Joe Reedy

More Zim on Joseph: "I've been in the tank since 6 last night but I have to get out of it now."

2 minutes ago

Joe Reedy

joereedy Joe Reedy

Zimmer on Joseph: "I was under the assumption from all conversations that he would be back."

4 minutes ago

nothing new a guy the bengals drafted leaves after his first contract. we have been there done that before. everyone is pissed at mikey boy but seems to me like j-joe did not want to be here. if that's the case as with carson you don't want to be here, we don't want you here period! we will be fine it not like we are or ever will be championship contender any way so business as usual.

Ever stop to think why they don't want to be here or are we ok with "if they don't want to be here, then good" ??

While it's certainly arguable to say JJoe should have been brought back, there's something else that you don't hear the talking heads discuss.

What the hell is going on in Cincinnati ??

Expanded Zim quotes from CBS...

"I was pretty much told we were going to get him back. It's more frustrating if he just leaves, that's a different feeling. I have been in the tank since six o'clock yesterday."

"We got to figure out who the next guy is, whether he is here at training camp or on the street somewhere or in Canada, who knows? But we got to find somebody."

It's what gets said every time a quality player walks:

We didn't need him anyway!

TKO, Steiny, Justin, Madieu, TJ, Joseph, heck even Palmer (he sucks! washed up! we were 4-12!)...the names change but the song remains the same.

When we lose Hall next March, suddenly he'll be a POS, too.

Yep, like clockwork, soon as a player leaves they were garbage that we didn't need. Whatever, J.Joe wasn't garbage and isn't a POS, he and Hall held the backfield down on their own, God knows Mikey won't ever give them any help at safety.

Ever stop to think why they don't want to be here or are we ok with "if they don't want to be here, then good" ??

While it's certainly arguable to say JJoe should have been brought back, there's something else that you don't hear the talking heads discuss.

What the hell is going on in Cincinnati ??

What the hell is going on? The same thing that has always went on. At the moment? According to Reedy and ESPN the salary cap minimum doesn't kick in until 2013, Mike is lowballing guys and unloading high priced players one last time to bank as much money as he can.

Hobs passes along more from Zim, who says the D may have to make some scheme changes because of the loss:

"I'm upset, disappointed, frustrated," Zimmer said. "It's disappointing. You get good guys off the field, they work hard in the weight room and on the practice field and you kind of mold them what you want them to look like and they get out of here."

Zimmer said pursuit of the next guy is going to be all over the place and hinted it may impact what they do if they can't find a decent man-to-man guy.

"I was under the assumption in the conversations I've had since before the lockout that we were going to get him back. I was pretty much told we were going to get him back," Zimmer said. "It will be interesting to see what the next guy is. Whether he's here, or at training camp, or on the street somewhere, or if he's on another team, or Canada. Who knows? You have to find somebody out there and play and if we can't find a guy exactly what we're looking for, we'll have to alter some of the things we're looking to do."

http://www.wlwt.com/...563/detail.html

Check out photo #11.

Looks like Zimmer wasn't alone. It seems like the Bengals front office thought Joseph would be back too.

Zim looks pissed in 26.

I wonder if they were led to believe by the player and/or the agent that they had a deal and Houston came in at the last minute and overpaid.

/>http://www.wlwt.com/slideshow/sports/28706563/detail.html

Check out photo #11.

Looks like Zimmer wasn't alone. It seems like the Bengals front office thought Joseph would be back too.

What an F'N joke this front office is. No wonder why they lose alot fans all the time, no wonder why Gold Star Chilli dosnt want to support this team anymore its crap like this.

Now Mike and company just sit back while any good player gets taken off the board, this team just has no idea what do when it comes to free agency!!!!