What's up with this Jordan Palmer thing?

I've been watching this story for a few days now, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Jordan rounds up Bengals players for off season workouts, but does he think that now his brother is leaving town he is heir apparent for the starting QB spot? Possibly not seeing how Dan LeFevour is there as well. The article "unofficially" lists Jordan as #1!?! Unless I'm mistaken last season he was #3 behind LeFevour. All that aside, it good to see some Cincinnati players trying to do something positive.

Jordan Palmer corrals players

QB will host California workouts

Written by Joe Reedy

jreedy@enquirer.com

During a normal offseason, Jordan Palmer would be working on other things in addition to training for the upcoming season. That's not the case this year. With an opportunity to compete for the Bengals starting quarterback spot, Carson Palmer's younger brother has focused his attention on the season even with the current labor situation.

With Carson Palmer threatening to retire rather than return to the team and coach Marvin Lewis saying it's time to move on without him, Jordan Palmer is unofficially No. 1 on the depth chart. "I'm only focused on football whereas past offseasons I've had other things going on," Palmer said. "This is a great opportunity and that's exciting."

The first step comes next week when most of the wide receivers, running backs and tight ends, as well as quarterback Dan LeFevour gather in Mission Viejo, Calif., for workouts."We're going to throw and lift, talk some football and hang out," Palmer said. "A lot of teams are doing it. The younger guys are more willing to get going earlier and take advantage of the time."

The workouts are similar to what Carson Palmer did in the past, even down to setting up rental cars, a place to stay and hiring a trainer.

Are we allowed to talk about this now?

/>http://forums.bengalszone.com/topic/22678-palmer-grabs-leadership-reigns/

And...I still find it interesting. Glad that he is stepping into a void. Glad that he has invited Lefevour to come to it too. Glad that someone associated with this godforsaken team is trying to be a leader. Even if its Jordan. Like I said in the aborted thread on it, god forbid his brother have had half as much leadership. Still, good on Jordan Palmer for trying.

Are we allowed to talk about this now?

When weren't we? To me the story became suspect when Hobson was talking about it, and I guess I was wrong there. I just really don't like the guy. He just seems like a total a$$ kisser, and I hate a$$ kissers.

I've been watching this story for a few days now, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Jordan rounds up Bengals players for off season workouts, but does he think that now his brother is leaving town he is heir apparent for the starting QB spot? Possibly not seeing how Dan LeFevour is there as well. The article "unofficially" lists Jordan as #1!?! Unless I'm mistaken last season he was #3 behind LeFevour. All that aside, it good to see some Cincinnati players trying to do something positive.

Written by Joe Reedy

jreedy@enquirer.com

During a normal offseason, Jordan Palmer would be working on other things in addition to training for the upcoming season. That's not the case this year. With an opportunity to compete for the Bengals starting quarterback spot, Carson Palmer's younger brother has focused his attention on the season even with the current labor situation.

With Carson Palmer threatening to retire rather than return to the team and coach Marvin Lewis saying it's time to move on without him, Jordan Palmer is unofficially No. 1 on the depth chart. "I'm only focused on football whereas past offseasons I've had other things going on," Palmer said. "This is a great opportunity and that's exciting."

The first step comes next week when most of the wide receivers, running backs and tight ends, as well as quarterback Dan LeFevour gather in Mission Viejo, Calif., for workouts."We're going to throw and lift, talk some football and hang out," Palmer said. "A lot of teams are doing it. The younger guys are more willing to get going earlier and take advantage of the time."

The workouts are similar to what Carson Palmer did in the past, even down to setting up rental cars, a place to stay and hiring a trainer.

Yes, you are definitely mistaken. At no point was Dan Lefevour ever ahead of Jordan Palmer.

And I don't know how anyone could think he ever will be. I'd be pretty shocked if he was even on the team next season. The guy just isn't an NFL caliber player. Jordan Palmer at least has the tools to be pretty decent. He took some time to develop because of the type of offense he played in college. The NFL style offense was an adjustment, but he has physical ability, unlike Lefevour.

Written by Joe Reedy

jreedy@enquirer.com

Yes, you are definitely mistaken. At no point was Dan Lefevour ever ahead of Jordan Palmer.

And I don't know how anyone could think he ever will be. I'd be pretty shocked if he was even on the team next season. The guy just isn't an NFL caliber player. Jordan Palmer at least has the tools to be pretty decent. He took some time to develop because of the type of offense he played in college. The NFL style offense was an adjustment, but he has physical ability, unlike Lefevour.

You might want to check out some of Lefevour's college tape, he has all the ability needed to be a legit NFL QB. He has more potential than Jordan does, which is not saying a whole lot.

Written by Joe Reedy

jreedy@enquirer.com

LeFevour has no ability to play in the NFL, how do you figure? Has he played in a bunch of NFL games that i dont know of that backs up your statement? You cant say he will be good or not until he gets a shot to show something. He was a great college QB, that needs the chance, but not sure if he ever will.

Player News

Sunday, September 5, 2010 - 2:26 PM

Bengals claimed QB Dan LeFevour off waivers from the Bears.

Fantasy Spin: It looks like the Bengals have a thing for QBs with below average arm strength. Though productive in college, LeFevour hasn't shown that he's worthy of an NFL roster. J.T. O'Sullivan was released to make room for LeFevour.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 - 8:43 PM

Bears waived QB Dan LeFevour.

Fantasy Spin: The sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan showed well in the exhibition finale, but LeFevour lacks NFL-caliber arm strength. The practice squad isn't going to solve that problem, but it's still probably where he's headed.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 9:52 PM

The Chicago Sun Times' Sean Jensen observes that rookie QB Dan LeFevour's "arm just doesn't look like NFL material."

Fantasy Spin: This was our scouting report on LeFevour coming out of Central Michigan, too. Jensen suggests LeFevour might not make the team. He was 2-of-10 for 21 yards in Chicago's preseason opener.

What will the Bears do with LeFevour?

By Sean Jensen on August 14, 2010 12:12 PM

The Bears used a sixth-round pick in the NFL Draft to select Downers Grove native Dan LeFevour.

He was an intriguing player, given his brilliant career at Central Michigan, where he broke numerous records and made plays both with his feet and his arm.

But after two weeks of training camp, LeFevour has hardly looked ready to make a meaningful contribution to the 2010 Chicago Bears. LeFevour hasn't consistently made plays and, perhaps most alarming, his arm just doesn't look like NFL material.

What about his legs, which propelled him to nearly 3,000 rushing yards and 47 rushing touchdowns? He hasn't been running circles around the Bears first-, second-, or third-string defenses.

All of this presents the club with a difficult decision.

I could go on and on...

You could also have gone on and on endlessly about Jordan coming out of college, but he has had many years to sit and learn.

There's no reason to think LeFevour couldn't learn if given the same opportunity to Palmer light has been given.

There are many QB's who work with the west coast offense with a less than average arm.

It also can't be forgotten he was a 6th round pick. They all can't be Brady.

Welcome to the board Mobster...

You could also have gone on and on endlessly about Jordan coming out of college, but he has had many years to sit and learn.

There's no reason to think LeFevour couldn't learn if given the same opportunity to Palmer light has been given.

There are many QB's who work with the west coast offense with a less than average arm.

It also can't be forgotten he was a 6th round pick. They all can't be Brady.

Welcome to the board Mobster...

Jordan Palmer and Dan Lefevour were both 6th round picks. The difference I think is Palmer has all the physical tools, size, great arm strength, accuracy - he just came out of college with pretty bad, inconsistent mechanics and did not play in a pro-style offense. I saw him as a project that has potential. Good coaching can help out his mechanics, and the more experience he gets in an NFL offense, the better he will be. And proof of that is last season Marvin Lewis called Jordan the most improved player in training camp, and he beat out O'Sullivan and was promoted to the #1 backup.

Lefevour has some of the same issues - rally bad mechanics, coming from a spread offense, but he doesn't have the arm strength or the accuracy that Palmer has. I don't think he has same potential. If he had any kind of arm at all, he would have been drafted higher based on what he did in college. I remember people talking about how he was a possible 2nd round pick at one point (before the combine). Then, he refused to throw at the combnie with the other QBs. That was the first red flag. Then, when he finally threw for scouts, his stock dropped way down. Even in the article I quoted, the reporter says how obvious it was that Lefevour didn't have an NFL caliber arm. If watching a guy throw just one time is enough for scouts and reporters to think it was obvous that he wasn't much of a prospect, then that's pretty scary.

Glad that he's showing leadership, these types of things don't go unnoticed. It's good for the team. He'll be heartbroken when we sign Cam though lol.

I'm as big a Newton backer as you'll find here, but even I no longer see Cam falling past Carolina or Buffalo.

Hey, If Jordan wants to try and get some other players in shape earlier, along with establishing a rapport with the WR's, I'm all for it. THAT'S WHAT AN NFL QB SHOULD DO. I give him a 1% chance of being the starter this year, but hey, at least he wants to get better, and I for one, am NOT going to slam a guy for that.

Look, Cam Newton isn't going to be there at #4 and I don't see ANY other QB this year even being as good right off the bat as Jordan already is (NOT a compliment to Jordan, just acknowledging a weak QB class).

I still have hope Carson comes back, but if not they should go old free agent for 1 year until next years draft.