Fixing the playoffs

jjakq27

I propose that the top two teams in each conference get the automatic first round bye as it's done now. They deserve some type of reward for their efforts.

But I would seed the remaining 4 teams based on their records. No automatic home game for the other two division winners unless they have the better record.

The Saints are 11-5 and finished second in their division to the No. 1 NFC seed (Atlanta) yet they must travel to Seattle (7-9) for the first game since they get the automatic home game for winning their division. Same for the Ravens (12-4) and the Jets (11-5) who have to travel to Indy (10-6) and KC (10-6) in the AFC.

It would add interest to the final game of the season because of tiebreakers and teams wouldn't have the luxury of resting guys if they've already been pegged to a spot.

/>http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

I propose that the top two teams in each conference get the automatic first round bye as it's done now. They deserve some type of reward for their efforts.

But I would seed the remaining 4 teams based on their records. No automatic home game for the other two division winners unless they have the better record.

The Saints are 11-5 and finished second in their division to the No. 1 NFC seed (Atlanta) yet they must travel to Seattle (7-9) for the first game since they get the automatic home game for winning their division. Same for the Ravens (12-4) and the Jets (11-5) who have to travel to Indy (10-6) and KC (10-6) in the AFC.

It would add interest to the final game of the season because of tiebreakers and teams wouldn't have the luxury of resting guys if they've already been pegged to a spot.

/>http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

I don't think that's a terrible idea but consider this:

Teams are and should be built to win their division. 6 of the 16 games are played against those teams.

If they do go to the format you have proposed, then what happens when next year a mediocre Rams team makes a wild card at 10-6 and plays at home against a better Falcons, Saints, or Bucs team that fought to win their division at 9-7?

What do we do when that happens? Honestly, I say keep it the way it is. If this keeps happening then change it. Don't change it all based on one freak year. Teams are built to win their divisions. If a wild card team that gets in the playoffs is better than that division winner, they will beat them anyway.

Don't blame the Seahawks for the Saints playing on the road, blame the Falcons who beat them out to win the division. If the Seahawks were 11-5, nobody would be pittying the Saints.

I think everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath. The playoff format has worked, and worked well, for many years now. No need to rush into a knee jerk reaction because of one fluke scenario.

Maybe it could be improved...I'm not opposed to that. It's just like everything else in the NFL, though. We see something out of the ordinary, rush to fix it, and end up going too far *cough* roughing the passer *cough*

I agree the 3rd and 4th division winners earned something for winning their division but almost every year there is a 1a/1b from a division that are heads above the rest. I wouldn't mind seeing the 1b team benefit too beside a 5th seed.

If you really want to get extreme with it, take the top 6 teams per conference. I know the Giants screwed the pooch in that last game againt the Eagels which cost them in the end but does anyone believe that they are not better than the Seahawks? Seems like a three game difference is hard to dismiss very easily.

I must admit that i like the divisional head-to-head match-ups during week 17. It seemed to liven things up a little.

I don't think much needs to be changed. I'd propose the following:

If a division winner has a .500 or worse record, they lose the advantage of being a division winner, hence they'll likely lose home field advantage. This rarely happens so this change wouldn't affect things very often

LOL NO! Way to defend the title.

So almost beating the world champs last month suddenly doesn't seem so impressive. :sadwalk:

They looked very beatable when we played them but I am surprised they lost to the Seahawks. Give Seattle credit though because they seemed to play with much more energy once they got down 17-7. Key stop by the Hawks defense inside the 5 on third down and a curious call by Peyton on 4th inside their own 40. Hmmm.

Honestly there seems to be such a letdown from year to year I can't see anyone repeating in the near future. Especially if they go to 18 games.

LOL NO! Way to defend the title.

So almost beating the world champs last month suddenly doesn't seem so impressive. :sadwalk:

They looked very beatable when we played them but I am surprised they lost to the Seahawks. Give Seattle credit though because they seemed to play with much more energy once they got down 17-7. Key stop by the Hawks defense inside the 5 on third down and a curious call by Peyton on 4th inside their own 40. Hmmm.

Honestly there seems to be such a letdown from year to year I can't see anyone repeating in the near future. Especially if they go to 18 games.

The Saints defense started to look like the Bengals defense circa 2005-2007.