Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

For some reason, I'm not nearly as interested in the the 1st round pick as I am in the 2nd round pick. The #4 overall pick has plenty of options available that I would be plenty happy with.

The 2nd round pick... well, I've been saying that Kyle Cook needs to be shut down since the '09 season. It's time to draft a true Center. Stefen Wisniewski (I also wouldn't mind Mike Pouncey - just to fan the flames of the Steelers/Bengals rivalry)

I agree its time for a center, and Pouncey would be a great pick there if he makes it out of the first rd.

I wonder how Kyle Cook would be at guard, i still think they need a guard also, Livings is horrible

Cook won't work as a guard.

I am not sold on Pouncey going to Center. He will be taken in the first two rounds (my guess) as a guard, and I would not waste the r2 pick on him. There are several good center prospects coming out, and I agree there is much room to improve there, so taking a look at guys like Zane Taylor from Utah and Kirkpatrick from TCU, both will be there from r4 on.

With departure of Ocho, get AJ Green and get Ingram at the top of r2 (granted he is there). If Ingram is not there, then take one of the OT's like Gilbert from FL or Ziemba from Auburn.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Luck is returning to Stanford.
/>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Is that what a Stanford education gives you? If you're projected to be the #1 overall pick it doesn't make good financial sense to go back to school. It's also likely that there'll be a rookie wage scale in 2012. I doubt they'll have it in place in time for this yrs draft.

I'm OK with the Bengals beating the Browns and Chargers now to end the yr

AJ Green has already shown us his love for money. I don't see anyway he'd pass up a pile of cash

Well, didn't you just mock Andrew Luck's intelligence based upon his decision to pass up an even bigger pile of cash? So why depict one player as being greedy if his only other choice would be based upon stupidity?

Sincere or not, Green has repeatedly said his decision to enter the NFL draft isn't a given due to several factors, including projections of where he'd be selected and who he'd play for. And Luck's choice could have a huge impact on that, right?

Is that what a Stanford education gives you? If you're projected to be the #1 overall pick it doesn't make good financial sense to go back to school. It's also likely that there'll be a rookie wage scale in 2012. I doubt they'll have it in place in time for this yrs draft.

Actually there is a chance the rookie wage scale will come into play this year. The cb ends in march and the draft isn't until late April. Plenty of time to get it covered in the new CB. Or no new CB is done and teams low ball the rookies....I could understand why some juniors would go back to school this year as opposed to going into the draft. Big question marks.

More so 1 years pay in the NFL will pay more his entire career doing anything else,It could be he doesn't want to entire because the teams selecting early?

Maybe he hopes Phins will tank this season so He can be reunited with Harbaugh.

Actually there is a chance the rookie wage scale will come into play this year. The cb ends in march and the draft isn't until late April. Plenty of time to get it covered in the new CB. Or no new CB is done and teams low ball the rookies....I could understand why some juniors would go back to school this year as opposed to going into the draft. Big question marks.

Exactly. The NFL is adamant there will be a draft regardless of if there's a new CBA. So the odds of rookie holdouts everywhere are greater than they've ever been, and maybe moreso in Carolina where that teams owner admitted the only reason he didn't fire the Panthers entire coaching staff before last season was the 12 million bucks he'd owe. That must have gone over well with Panther fans and players....not to mention Andrew Luck.

More to come. The deadline to declare is the 15th, right?

A-yup.

Re Green, I wonder if he starts getting more No. 1 overall consideration? Carolina needs a replacement for Steve Smith...

My first thought as well. I'm guessing Green or Bowers now becomes the favorite for 1st overall. Either way the value of Carolina's #1 slot just cratered.

AJ Green has already shown us his love for money. I don't see anyway he'd pass up a pile of cash

Well, didn't you just mock Andrew Luck's intelligence based upon his decision to pass up an even bigger pile of cash? So why depict one player as being greedy if his only other choice would be based upon stupidity?

If not for AJ Green's past I'd tend to agree with you. Fact is one player has been caught trying to sell his uniform and the other hasn't, making your comparison of the two invalid

That said, anything can happen with AJ Green until declaration day comes and goes. But given the fact that he needed the money from his jersey sale, I'd say he won't pass up NFL cash for another year. That's where I'm coming from

As to the wisdom of Luck returning to school, what about that massive O-line that he enjoyed this year? If memory serves, didn't he have 3 fifth yr seniors on that line? What's he going to have to work behind next year? I haven't heard anyone address that

If not for AJ Green's past I'd tend to agree with you. Fact is one player has been caught trying to sell his uniform and the other hasn't, making your comparison of the two invalid

The only thing invalid is your comparison. After all, you're the one mocking Andrew Luck's intelligence because he chose to continue his college education at one of the finest schools in the country. Do you really think the money won't be waiting for him next year? That he couldn't purchase injury insurance guaranteeing his financial future?

As for Green, what he did is pretty commonplace in college football, as plenty of Buckeye fans were just reminded of. Furthermore, Green's decision to stay or go will largely be based upon where he's projected to be selected and Luck's decision only serves to improve Green's draft stock. So yeah, he'll probably come out now just as it was always likely he'd come out. But how would that choice be any greedier than that of any other underclassmen who declares?

But given the fact that he needed the money from his jersey sale, I'd say he won't pass up NFL cash for another year.

Well make up your mind. In your rapidly shifting opinion is Green coming out because of some unseemly love of money or because of a real need for money?

That's where I'm coming from

It's becoming increasingly obvious where you're coming from. Just make sure you put the bedsheet back where it belongs when you're finished.

But given the fact that he needed the money from his jersey sale, I'd say he won't pass up NFL cash for another year.

Well make up your mind. In your rapidly shifting opinion is Green coming out because of some unseemly love of money or because of a real need for money?

I don't pretend to know if he "needs" the money or if he just plain wants it, but the end result is the same.

We agree that in the end he will make a different choice than Luck.

As for Luck, he's chancing a lot of money and I wish him the best. You're correct that he likely won't starve no matter what choice he makes but he'll likely never regain the money he could have made in 2011 either. He's also putting an undo beating on his body by playing another year.

Perhaps he doesn't like the situation in Carolina and if that's the case, good for him. He can control where he ends up to a certain extent at this point.

I don't pretend to know if he "needs" the money or if he just plain wants it, but the end result is the same.

Then say that much and be done with it. Why imply AJ Green is more greedy than any of the dozens of underclassmen who declare for the draft? Especially when you're so quick to brand someone else as stupid for remaining in school.

We agree that in the end he will make a different choice than Luck.

Different players, different situations. Suffice to say that I try not to judge any player as being greedy just because they leave college early to begin an NFL career, especially those who are projected to go as highly as Luck or Green.

Just say no to any "skill position" What this team needs are linemen, both O and D. A WR is a waste of a pick, a CB is a waste of a pick. A LB is a waste of a pick. A QB would be a flipping huge waste of a pick.

In saying that I wouldn't be shocked if they reached for a running back. :swear: :frustrated:

Here's a handy reminder many of you might find helpful.

The draft has seven rounds.

:blink:

Well 6foor us this year ;) since we traded our 6th rounder.

Of course.

Just saying. Some of you guys kill me with all of the talk about this guy or that guy is going to be a waste because of the position he plays. Both Bowers or Green could very easily end up being the highest rated players in the entire draft yet I'm supposed to believe this team couldn't use them simply because of the position they play?

Oh, hell no.

I agree Hair even if we have young Talent at WR & DE it's just to hard say no to that much Talent...it's part of the reason why I'm warming up to Fairley even though I've never really been pro DT(besides for Ngata)...

Go with most talented guy in rnd 1 we can address Oline and other positions later in the draft.

Different players, different situations. Suffice to say that I try not to judge any player as being greedy just because they leave college early to begin an NFL career, especially those who are projected to go as highly as Luck or Green.

So let's see, are you inferring that I think players coming out early are greedy and ones staying in school are stupid? Nope, to each his own. As per usual, you're just searching for an argument and as you know, I'm always game, but in this case I can't play 'cause I still don't see where we disagree