Season and draft pick

combatbengal

Our season is over and in a way I hope we lose out! Right now we have a top three pick (Lions and Bills have the same record as us) The Panthers are a shoe in for the 1st pick. The Bills beat us, so that gives us number two or three pick right now. Now, one guy isn't going to turn this team around, but M. Brown will have to shell out a butt load of money for that pick, which excites me. But then, ticket prices and concessions may go up too.

I think Lion & Bills finish higher then us,The only team that is worse is the Panthers...

Hopefully they decide to stick with Jimmy so we can take Andrew Luck otherwise I'd say best LT or DE available.

I agree with you!

I know Mikee won't do it -- as I've said before -- I'd like to trade down and get multiple picks in round one if we can't get Luck or maybe A.J. Green. Green with 2 may be too high for me.

I think Lion & Bills finish higher then us,The only team that is worse is the Panthers...

Hopefully they decide to stick with Jimmy so we can take Andrew Luck otherwise I'd say best LT or DE available.

I agree with you!

I know Mikee won't do it -- as I've said before -- I'd like to trade down and get multiple picks in round one if we can't get Luck or maybe A.J. Green. Green with 2 may be too high for me.

I'm all for trading down we could use the extra picks but like you said don't see it happening and I just feel if we have shot at luck Mikey will fall in love with blue chip prospect.

Question though How much money does it cost simply to cut Carson? Even if we Drafted a QB I wouldn't wanna see Carson cut but it could be a factor more so since he's making what 16million per season.

We lost to the Bills so if we lose out, we should pick a head of them. Carson isn't going to help this team in the future so I say cut ties with him and let him shop the market. There are other teams that would love to have him. AZ! SF! to name two. Maybe even trade him!! Hell make it a package, send him and chad together for some draft picks.

We lost to the Bills so if we lose out, we should pick a head of them. Carson isn't going to help this team in the future so I say cut ties with him and let him shop the market. There are other teams that would love to have him. AZ! SF! to name two. Maybe even trade him!! Hell make it a package, send him and chad together for some draft picks.

Arizona would jump at the chance to get Palmer!

I agree with you!

I'm all for trading down we could use the extra picks but like you said don't see it happening and I just feel if we have shot at luck Mikey will fall in love with blue chip prospect.

Question though How much money does it cost simply to cut Carson? Even if we Drafted a QB I wouldn't wanna see Carson cut but it could be a factor more so since he's making what 16million per season.

Today's paper said he is owed $11.5 M next season. I think there are four years left on the contract too.

I agree with you!

Today's paper said he is owed $11.5 M next season. I think there are four years left on the contract too.

Obviously we're not getting anything close to our money's worth with Carson.

It's sad that we have come full circle in the span of 8 years. It's ironic that we will likely finish 2-14 just like 2002.

Back then I was all for trading down for multiple picks. Then I saw Carson pick Iowa's top ranked defense apart in their bowl game and I was hooked on him. Obviously the pinnacle of his pro career was 2005-2006. It's basically been downhill since then.

I now feel the same way that I did in 2002. Drafting a top five guy will only lead to a holdout and a wasted season. Trading down and gaining multiple picks that include picks into 2012 would be my path. However, I don't have faith that we have the capability of making something like that happen.

When has Mikie ever traded down with a 1st round pick? :huh:

2004 they traded down from #16 two separate times I believe to land Chris Perry with the 24th pick overall.

Stellar move there huh? :lol:

Yeah, not really. Damn shame. I remember watching Chris Perry run for an 81 yard TD (got called back on a holding penalty) on a screen pass against the Vikings in 2005. I was watching him thinking he was the second coming of James Brooks. Then he broke his leg about 5 times.

When has Mikie ever traded down with a 1st round pick? :huh:

2004 they traded down from #16 two separate times I believe to land Chris Perry with the 24th pick overall.

Stellar move there huh? :lol:

Yeah, not really. Damn shame. I remember watching Chris Perry run for an 81 yard TD (got called back on a holding penalty) on a screen pass against the Vikings in 2005. I was watching him thinking he was the second coming of James Brooks. Then he broke his leg about 5 times.

I remember that play too. He had a pretty good year in 2005 but that's about it. Every time I see Stephen Jackson run, I shed a little tear.

That year (2004) was a good year as far as amassing players. With the Corey Dillon trade they got an extra pick which ended up being Madieu Williams. So I haven't seen any kind of draft savvy since then. Failure to move around to get guys rather then sitting back and taking what comes their way is a big issue. And as I have stated before, the top three draft picks should be good enough to start or contribute a lot every single season. Injuries, hold-outs and lack of development of top picks has been the recent trademark of their drafting.

Anybody watch the Brown/Panther game?

John Fox and Eric Mangini seemed to swapping dumb coaching moves all day and the officials seemed to be doing everything they could to screw the Panthers. But Fox's own decision to kick a PAT instead of going for 2 points followed later by a last second potentially game winning kick that bounced off the upright denies the Bengals their rightful spot at the very top of the coming draft.

Idiots.

.....and as I've said before, the Bengals cannot pull off such a trade because they don't have a GM to orchestrate such a deal. They need to hire an experienced GM, because even if Mikey boy does pull off a trade for additonal picks, YOU CAN BE DAMN SURE HE WON'T GET FULL VALUE FOR THE HIGH PICK HE IS TRADING......The GM needs to know the market, what other teams behind them need, play that pick/potential player against teams in need of such a player...Create a demand, while not looking overly desperate to trade that pick....MIKE BROWN IS NOT CAPABLE OF PULLING ANY OF THAT OFF......If no new GM is hired, you can be sure the Bengals will draft a player too high to fit a specific need....It's not like our scouting department will help any (i don't even know if you can call 3 people a "department")

Arizona would jump at the chance to get Palmer!

offer Carson to AZ for a 3rd and a 2nd pick that starts out as a 7th but turns in to a 1st if he has probowl like year :>

I now feel the same way that I did in 2002. Drafting a top five guy will only lead to a holdout and a wasted season. Trading down and gaining multiple picks that include picks into 2012 would be my path. However, I don't have faith that we have the capability of making something like that happen.

Well there should be something to help with Rookies in the next CB,I've seen some say we have 2many oles to take QB well thats why I'd say take one now so he can learn because I don't see us fixxing things in one year so wannna see us for the long haul improvement.

For all who advocate dealing out of a top pick, you need to acknowledge that has been next to impossible to accomplish in the last ten years since salaries for top picks skyrocketed. That has nothing to do with mike brown, and everything to do w/ the system. Perhaps the new cba will make deals more possible, but if nothing changes that top 5 pick is one we are stuck with.

For all who advocate dealing out of a top pick, you need to acknowledge that has been next to impossible to accomplish in the last ten years since salaries for top picks skyrocketed. That has nothing to do with mike brown, and everything to do w/ the system. Perhaps the new cba will make deals more possible, but if nothing changes that top 5 pick is one we are stuck with.

Ya with the new agreement gets done it would be one thing but not like trading out top 3 is easy,5-10 different story

=

Ya with the new agreement gets done it would be one thing but not like trading out top 3 is easy,5-10 different story

=

It's not easy (with Mike Brown), but if you have a savvy GM, you can trade and get good value for that pick.

I'll give you an example:

Say Carolina gets #1 and Bengals get #2.....First, your GM has to be aware that Luck will probably be the guy everyone else would be trading up to get, SO, knowing Carolina won't take Luck at #1 after having drafted Claussen, he would have to have contingency deals in place with teams looking to land Luck. I say contingency deals because if Carolina trades down from #1, the Bengals #2 pick has almost Zero Trade value. So these potential deals have to be in place already, and ready to be finalized as soon as Carolina makes their selection (Detroit may have the #3 pick, but are not a threat to take a QB with Stafford on board) So the Bengals have a very attractive pick if Carolina keeps theirs and takes anybody other than Luck.....Trust me when I say that a team like Arizona, San Francisco, or even Buffalo who all look like they'll be selecting in the Top 8 will gladly move up to #2 if it means they will be getting a Franchise QB. The difference in money between say #5 or 6 and #2 isnt that big to where a QB starved team won't pull the trigger. Now the difference betweeen #2 and say #12, That's huge.

I'll say it again, a trade has absolutely no possibility of getting done with Mike Brown as GM......The thing is, this could be a potentially actractive job for a GM considering Mike Brown would be willing to step aside, the Bengals cupboard is far from bare (they do have talent) and a potential Top 3 pick.....Not to mention, it would do nothing but improve someone's resume/reputation. If the new GM tanks...it's just "It's the Bengals, what did you expect?" but if he succeeds in turning around a historically bad Franchise....Sh*t, he can write his owns checks...

Yup. Top picks are nothing more than booby prizes (appropriate since this team is owned by a boob).

Pimp, it's not that it's not easy, under the current CBA, it has been next to impossible. Facts are facts. Hoosier is correct, a top 5 pick is a finanical albatross, and teams are not lining up to take on that kind of risk.

It's another devastating consequence of what the Bengals have done to themselves this year.