kicker debate

richmond_mat

would shane graham?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shane graham would have made the 52 yard game winner?

• yes
    • no

I've been critical of brat and graham for awhile. The loss sunday made me think about this poll. Indeed kickers in San Diego have a lot of great weather to kick in, but I'm not certain if graham would/could have made the kick the charger's made.

Ok, there is a kicker thread at the VERY TOP of the list. You had to start a new one?

And Shayne has made 50% of his kicks beyond 50. Two this year, with one blocked due to the snapping fiasco timing issues.

Why is this "hypothetical" thread even necessary? He's shown he has the distance (as he NAILED down the middle with PLENTY of leg to spare the other 50+ kicks he made this year).

Sigh....

I've been critical of brat and graham for awhile. The loss sunday made me think about this poll. Indeed kickers in San Diego have a lot of great weather to kick in, but I'm not certain if graham would/could have made the kick the charger's made.

Ok, there is a kicker thread at the VERY TOP of the list. You had to start a new one?

And Shayne has made 50% of his kicks beyond 50. Two this year, with one blocked due to the snapping fiasco timing issues.

Why is this "hypothetical" thread even necessary? He's shown he has the distance (as he NAILED down the middle with PLENTY of leg to spare the other 50+ kicks he made this year).

Sigh....

Frankly SIS, I think this thread is here because everyone's happy about the team as a whole, and tired of the Chris Henry/the offense sucks threads, so this is a different direction. I agree it wouldn't fall into the 'necessary' category. In San Diego, where it is always 72 with just a hint of a very gentle breeze, and Brad St. Louis watching at home, yeah I think Shayne O'Matic very possibly could have hit the same 52-yarder. It's also possible he couldn't have. No one knows, but I wish we'd had the chance to find out.

This question is about as pertinent at this point as 'Would the Bengals have scored a touchdown and won the game if Andre Caldwell hadn't squirted the ball backwards 20 yards like a ketchup bottle being run over by a truck?' Where's that poll?

This thread is teh stoopid.

Graham nails that kick in those conditions. Switch Graham with Kaeding in terms of city of employment, and you can switch their career accuracy numbers too, I think.

Graham is a fine kicker, and does a damn good job given what it is to kick in the AFC North, in four outdoor cold weather occasional wind issues stadiums.

This thread is teh stoopid.

Graham nails that kick in those conditions. Switch Graham with Kaeding in terms of city of employment, and you can switch their career accuracy numbers too, I think.

Graham is a fine kicker, and does a damn good job given what it is to kick in the AFC North, in four outdoor cold weather occasional wind issues stadiums.

Or let the Chargers sign St. Louis for about six games and see how that changes things. All moot in the grander scheme.

But to be Honest - Im not sure Graham is worth the Franchise tag again.

Im not sure his value is that high in the NFL where kickers are a dime a dozen these days.

But apparently we cant go with their made % because thats on the snapper and holder and wind.

Kickoffs are all on the kicker though - I still dont know how you kick the ball out of bounds after halftime in a dome. Thats not a veteran move.

Definite subpar year - but Shayne has made a few fgs for us.

I just hope the season doesnt come down to a long fg. But how this team plays not to lose instead of to win, I feel it will come down to a big kick.

C'mon - Shane - Lets do it!!!(assuming good snap and hold)

Man I cant believe kickers make millions.

Wow there is a lot of hate on here these days. This thread is different than the others. Maybe I should ask membengal's or bengalsis's approval before I start a thread. Especially if it might be critical of the chosen one.

I think Graham is the most over rated kicker in the nfl. yeah yeah he has the most accurate kicker title. SFW! It seems that Coach never asks him to try 50 yarders unless it's the end of the half or game. For a notoriously frugal franchise to spend so much on the kicker is mind blowing. Almost as mind blowing as all the man love for shane graham and his carrot top on this board. He is average at best but is getting paid like the best. I have absolutely no faith in him to make a game winner. I'll happily eat crow should the time come.

Oh-

Graham making that kick is a coin toss at best.

So you give your opinion, and when I disagree, you churlishly state that you have to ask my permission before starting a thread? And god forbid you use the already in place bash-a-kicker thread that was underway, but, hey, god knows you don't need my permission...

Awesome.

I have been critical of Shayne too, but the kick to tie SD was pretty clutch as well. Hopefully, he will have many more opportunities for big kicks this year.

I applaud the entire Bengals' offense (except Caldwell) on getting them back into field goal range to even make that happen. When Caldwell squirted that ball, I figured it was over.

Wow there is a lot of hate on here these days. This thread is different than the others. Maybe I should ask membengal's or bengalsis's approval before I start a thread. Especially if it might be critical of the chosen one.

I think Graham is the most over rated kicker in the nfl. yeah yeah he has the most accurate kicker title. SFW! It seems that Coach never asks him to try 50 yarders unless it's the end of the half or game. For a notoriously frugal franchise to spend so much on the kicker is mind blowing. Almost as mind blowing as all the man love for shane graham and his carrot top on this board. He is average at best but is getting paid like the best. I have absolutely no faith in him to make a game winner. I'll happily eat crow should the time come.

Oh-

Graham making that kick is a coin toss at best.

haha...funny you should say that. Shayne's % from over 50 (included a block durin St. Louis time, and a 62 yarder against the wind) is at 50%. A coin toss.

Why don't you check out the career % of many kickers at that distance. Add to that his % inside the 50.... and whataya got? A damn good kicker.

Already stated are the conditions he kicks under compared to the conditions the "better" kickers kick under.

A human kicker who makes mistakes, but who NEVER kicked off in college, and who has worked hard to get better. He has definitely not had his best year with kickoffs.

I don't really have a problem with Shayne's (in-bounds) kickoffs. The era of routine touchbacks on KOs ended years ago. Not being in Cincy I get to watch lots of other teams and I'm not seeing anything different anywhere else.

As for FGs, the biggest problem is that Shayne is kicking too many of them because our %^&*%$# offense can't punch it in. But that's not his fault.

But to be Honest - Im not sure Graham is worth the Franchise tag again.

Well depends if they wanna resign him or maybe look to Drafting one,we don't have any FA's think I can think of would be worth using franchise one

Bobbie Williams? Larry Johnson? Roy Williams? Tank Johnson? They could always use the Tag to see if Right kicker is there in draft and yank it after...

PS,If they decide to keep shayne long term that's fine he's a good kicker though Stronger kickoffs are desired but aslong coverage unit does a good job it's not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

haha...funny you should say that. Shayne's % from over 50 (included a block durin St. Louis time, and a 62 yarder against the wind) is at 50%. A coin toss.

Why don't you check out the career % of many kickers at that distance. Add to that his % inside the 50.... and whataya got? A damn good kicker.

Already stated are the conditions he kicks under compared to the conditions the "better" kickers kick under.

we're not debating the long shots... the points i take issue with are the following:

(6:29) 17-S.Graham 35 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-46-C.Harris, Holder-10-K.Huber.

(3:54) 17-S.Graham 28 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-46-C.Harris, Holder-10-K.Huber.

nothing personal, but i expect a man being paid more than a MILLION dollars a year just to kick a ball between two goal posts (which are over 18 feet apart) to be able to hit those kicks. every time. it's as simple as that.

I don't know what my vote was before, but I just made it no just in case it wasn't. If he can't even make a 28 yd field goal with 5 minutes left in a playoff game, how can we expect him to make a 52 yarder with less than 30 seconds on the clock?

I feel like crap for saying it because i really like shayne... But dang man. I couldve made those... Like i said in the draft thread we should get the kicker from florida. He's little but he can make a 50- 54 yarder and he's MONEY 20-40 yds out... And shayne will definately get a new gig. He's a great kicker. Very accurate if he gets on a roll