Gruden on Mike and Mike in the morning

kenyon1977

Was listening on my way into work this morning and Coach Gruden was asked if the Bengals were the second best team in the AFC. He had a ton of praise to heap on the team and especially the defense and said not only the AFC but one of the best teams in the NFL. If you get a chance to listen to their podcast today check it out.

Quick question, does anyone else enjoy watching the stout D of this yr more than the explosive offense of yrs past?

Absolutely. We went from being identifieed by crybabies like TJ and Chad to being a team full of Crockers, Johnsons, Fanenes, Ndukwes, Maualugas, Halls and Josephs. Guys who were cast aside and are playing with a chip on their shoulders the size of Dennis Roland. I LOVE it.

Glad I'm not alone. Give credit to Fatso and Schlereth too. Golic said true to the bengals being in the top two best AFC teams. Schlereth, you all might want to sit down for this, said he thinks we're playing the best football in the AFC and said we're #1 right now.

Yep. I heard that too. Incredible. I know Colts and Pats fans are used to this kind of praise... but it means a lot to us lowly Bengal fans.

Quick question, does anyone else enjoy watching the stout D of this yr more than the explosive offense of yrs past?

Oh hell yeah!

Absolutely

but I am not sure the typical fan likes WATCHING it better - there's a distinct difference between enjoying the game as it unfolds and enjoying the fact that the team is winning

I am sure everyone likes the W's

even Hair

Oh hell yeah!

Absolutely

but I am not sure the typical fan likes WATCHING it better - there's a distinct difference between enjoying the game as it unfolds and enjoying the fact that the team is winning

even Hair

Because the majority of my life as a football fan has endured the Bengals typically being bad (I was 8 during the '88 Super Bowl), some of my favorite football memories growing up were of the hard hitting Buckeye defense.

I know that most fans love high powered offense. It sells tickets. But I've always loved defense. I loved the Maualuga pick and the Roy Williams signing because of the violence and intimidation they bring.

I love defense, and can say I prefer watching this team to the '05 team without much hesitation.

Oh hell yeah!

Absolutely

even Hair

Because the majority of my life as a football fan has endured the Bengals typically being bad (I was 8 during the '88 Super Bowl), some of my favorite football memories growing up were of the hard hitting Buckeye defense.

I know that most fans love high powered offense. It sells tickets. But I've always loved defense. I loved the Maualuga pick and the Roy Williams signing because of the violence and intimidation they bring.

I love defense, and can say I prefer watching this team to the '05 team without much hesitation.

This D can be savored. There is very little to be unhappy about. Like a well made pot roast, with all the ingredients put together and cooked properly. Consistent and satisfying.

The 05 D was riskier, and while exciting, gave us all too much heartburn in the end. It was more like a spicy Thai noodle dish. In the right quantity, it is great, but not what you want for every Sunday dinner, every week.

Oh hell yeah!

Absolutely

even Hair

This D can be savored. There is very little to be unhappy about. Like a well made pot roast, with all the ingredients put together and cooked properly. Consistent and satisfying.

The 05 D was riskier, and while exciting, gave us all too much heartburn in the end. It was more like a spicy Thai noodle dish. In the right quantity, it is great, but not what you want for every Sunday dinner, every week.

Yeah... most people's main memories of that defense were the loads of interceptions. But when they didn't get those turnovers it was ugly. I think about the Indy game wher the Colts scored TDs in each of it's first 5 possessions. And a Chargers team that came back from a 21 point defecit at half time and scored 42 points in the 2nd half to win 49-41.

Exciting? Sure. Enjoyable? That's not the word I would use to describe it.

To me, defense is what football is all about. I've always felt that a good running game and a solid D were the keys to a good game of football, not just for the W, but for the pleasure of watching. While watching an explosive offense is fun too, I'll take an amazing running play over an amazing throw and catch any day.

even Hair

Good call. Because even more than the W's.....I like the way they're winning.

I've spent years and a few million keystrokes writing about the need to change this teams identity, not just it's fortunes on the field. I've screamed myself to sleep complaining about this team being fronted by a clown shoe wearing diva OR how it had sold it's collective souls chasing every skill position player it could draft. And who could forget my annual rant about the "Bastard Sons of Paul Brown" always throwing the ball around the yard instead of nutting up and punching the other guy in the throat?

Bottom Line: As a fan who appreciates the fine art of playing defense more than anything else....this has not been an easy to franchise to love.

Just heard this. No doubt Golic and Schlereth are fuming.

yup I had a patriots friend of mine comment about what b oring game bengals vs steelers was,I was like did you watch it? I was hella entertained.