Orien Harris re-signed

Pidge

/>http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

This is the dude we traded for Leonard I think?

Same dude. It's also the same dude that was released by the Rams, signed by the Lions, and dumped by the Lions, so...

We've signed a guy that's not good enough to play for two of the worst teams in the NFL. But, on the other hand, we got Leonard for free.

:huh:

Best.

Trade.

Ever.

Anytime you can get something for nothing and that something has made your team better...Leonard is a stud and has been a very good addition.

No kidding. This is why the Rams are the Rams. Hard for me to believe a sane person couldn't see the value that Leonard brings to the team.

Honestly, and this might just be way off etc so my apologies in advance - he's white. Gotta be a FB right? Coming out of college he was a good RB. Sure he's not a home run hitter but quickness, good hands and a smart player. Let's use him as a lead f**king blocker and destroy his shoulders? Other than him being white, I see no reason why anyone, especially someone getting paid cash money to evaluate football players, would think of playing him at FB.

Best.

Trade.

Ever.

Anytime you can get something for nothing and that something has made your team better...Leonard is a stud and has been a very good addition.

No kidding. This is why the Rams are the Rams. Hard for me to believe a sane person couldn't see the value that Leonard brings to the team.

Honestly, and this might just be way off etc so my apologies in advance - he's white. Gotta be a FB right? Coming out of college he was a good RB. Sure he's not a home run hitter but quickness, good hands and a smart player. Let's use him as a lead f**king blocker and destroy his shoulders? Other than him being white, I see no reason why anyone, especially someone getting paid cash money to evaluate football players, would think of playing him at FB.

Wasnt he a FB at Rutgers?

Best.

Trade.

Ever.

Wasnt he a FB at Rutgers?

His last yr he was. Ray Rice was the better RB that yr for sure but before that he was used as a RB and effectively too. 4th all-time rush yards at Rutgers. 4th all-time rush TDs. 6th all-time receiving yards. 1st all-time receptions. 4th all-time receiving TDs. 2nd all-time all purpose yards. 1st all-time combined TDs. 1st all time points scored.

Those stats just scream lead blocker don't they?

This move is the one that puts us over the top! <_<

It was the best trade of all time for gettin a guy like my boy BLeonard, plus I liked Orien Harris, but you gotta be kiddin me! This is what you do when you lose your leading pass rusher? This pretty much makes this D like the D's of old, Swiss Cheese!

I guess I should not be surprised. It is a predictable move, I even mentioned it as one of the options they were probably considering.

We did not think enough of Harris to keep him on the team. Harris could not make the Rams or the Lions. Does not bode well for improving our D-line. Also, he is a DT, not an end, so they must feel good about Fanaene, Rucker, Geathers, MJ. DT group of Tank, Sims, Peko and now Harris... OK, so this is how they will roll. the trade dealine passed, so this is what they will go with.

kind of a let-down. not a "seize the opportunity" signing to say the least.

It's not flashy but Harris knows Zimmer's system even though he was cut by the Lions and Rams. Players are moved or let go all the time and work out better in other teams systems. Need to look no further than how the Rams gave up on Leonard by trading him. He's done pretty well here so far.

Harris did pretty well here last year and from what I remember came onto the team in the second half of the season when the team went 4-3-1. It's not the trade or move we may have wanted but it may be the smartest move. Peko is out for this week and it's good we got someone in that knows the defense NOW.

It's not flashy but Harris knows Zimmer's system even though he was cut by the Lions and Rams. Players are moved or let go all the time and work out better in other teams systems. Need to look no further than how the Rams gave up on Leonard by trading him. He's done pretty well here so far.

Harris did pretty well here last year and from what I remember came onto the team in the second half of the season when the team went 4-3-1. It's not the trade or move we may have wanted but it may be the smartest move. Peko is out for this week and it's good we got someone in that knows the defense NOW.

The more I think about it, the happier I am to have Harris back. Not that I believe he's going to be an instant stud or anything, but he is a guy I liked coming out in '06 who has never really been in a situation where he could be developed.

Harris was an above-average prospect in '06 who had the misfortune of being drafted by Pitt in the 4th round. No, Pitt isn't a bad organization to be chosen by, but breaking into the defensive ranks there is tough even for first-round picks (ask Timmons or Hood). From there it was Cleveland in '07, NO and Cincy in '08, and Cincy, St. Louis and Detroit, and now Cincy again, in '09. Little surprise he's played in 16 whole games, 14 of them last season for the Bengals. And little surprise he hasn't shown a whole lot. Hard to do that when you're learning a new playbook every week.

So what the heck. Let's see if he learned anything last year.

The more I think about it, the happier I am to have Harris back. Not that I believe he's going to be an instant stud or anything, but he is a guy I liked coming out in '06 who has never really been in a situation where he could be developed.

Harris was an above-average prospect in '06 who had the misfortune of being drafted by Pitt in the 4th round. No, Pitt isn't a bad organization to be chosen by, but breaking into the defensive ranks there is tough even for first-round picks (ask Timmons or Hood). From there it was Cleveland in '07, NO and Cincy in '08, and Cincy, St. Louis and Detroit, and now Cincy again, in '09. Little surprise he's played in 16 whole games, 14 of them last season for the Bengals. And little surprise he hasn't shown a whole lot. Hard to do that when you're learning a new playbook every week.

Right, and I kind of look at it like this: Zimmer's bringing Harris back because he knows the system which means we actually have a system. That's a great thing and it's a great reflection of Mike Zimmer. More proof is the success of Tank, R. Williams, and Crocker. All of which have played for Zimmer's defense in the past.

I am shocked there is not more negative reaction. Yes, they could have picked a WORSE substitution...maybe Shaun Smith?

They had a chance to make a serious move to improve the D and they did not take the chance.

Imagine if Benson went down and they brought Qunicy Wilson back? That is akin to what we have in signing Harris.

I think the lack of bold action in response to losing Odom will seriously hamper this team.

hooray. orien harris. at least it wasn't shaun smith. yippeee.

I am shocked there is not more negative reaction. Yes, they could have picked a WORSE substitution...maybe Shaun Smith?

They had a chance to make a serious move to improve the D and they did not take the chance.

Imagine if Benson went down and they brought Qunicy Wilson back? That is akin to what we have in signing Harris.

I think the lack of bold action in response to losing Odom will seriously hamper this team.

Let's look at it this way, it's Tuesday and we needed to fill Peko's spot for this Sunday. Practice starts up again tomorrow for the Bears game. Harris knows the system and was servicable last year. They may not be done making moves with the front 4 and signing Harris I think was the BEST move they could have made for the upcoming game in which they need to win.

In fact, this move I think was soley in response to Peko being injured for this week. When Peko comes back and can play I would assume they will make a move for a DE or sign McDonald. This may have nothing to do in response to losing Odom.

And what move, pray tell, is that? I'm not seeing too many Pro Bowl defensive linemen hanging around on the street.

a move, as in trade.

Philly made a deal with STL for Whitherspoon

Carolina made a deal with KC for DT Tank Tyler

Glen Dorsey could have been obtained...maybe a steep price but would rather have given up a couple of picks and gotten Dorsey than awaiting Harris. Well, at least we have our full complement of picks. Why not bing in Ventrell Jenkins...he was just here and is probably cheaper than Harris.

Many players were discussed in terms of going after. Adalius Thomas is a guy who I think could have been obtained by the pick-hoarding Patriots. Quentin Groves is another guy who fit the bill.

The Colts cut Ed Johnston....He is on the street.

The ONLY upside to Harris is he has sent time in Zimmer's defense recently.

Still not liking how this is turning out.

a move, as in trade.

Rank speculation. We have no idea what the price of a Dorsey might be, or whether he'd be any less of a bust here. Or if he was available in the first place.

Moreover, we need a player now, as cincyhokie points out. Our DT rotation is a wreck. Tank has a blown tread, Sims a busted wing and Peko looks to be out with a knee injury of undetermined severity.

Harris played 14 games here last year, where he played well but got caught in a numbers game, and was available immediately. What's not to like?

In fact, this move I think was soley in response to Peko being injured for this week. When Peko comes back and can play I would assume they will make a move for a DE or sign McDonald. This may have nothing to do in response to losing Odom.

It definitely has nothing to do with Odom, other than his departure leaving a roster spot open. Odom is being replaced by depth: Fanene, Rucker and Johnson. (And I think it's a big opportunity for Frostee if he can sack up and rub a little dirt on it.)

I don't think they make any more moves at DT unless there are more injuries or Harris just completely stinks.

I'm sad because I think our passrush is going to suffer big time but hopefully Fanene & MJ can get the job done....Fanene is our 2nd leading sacker with 2 >_<.....I guess 40+ Yard Completions or Thrown out of bounds are just as good as sacks :|

Harris was about as good as they could do off the street for a DT. Not terrible. The guy had his moments last season. Since he came out the U in 2006, the book on Orien Harris was that he had great,unrealized potential. Still not realized, I guess, but he might have some more "moments" in him. Who else was there? I guess McDonald would have been okay, but I suppose they wanted a true DT with Peko probably out until Baltimore, rather than a DT/DE 'tweener like Clinton. Whatever. Shaun Rogers wasn't available for trade.