Bengals waived DB Geoffrey Pope.

Kazkal

Slant and Go posted the following chewy nuggets on Go Bengals. I hereby offer props and pass it along.

Football Outsiders tracks each team's pass defense vs different receiver types. As most of us have probably observed during the first 4 games, the Bengals D is playing to prevent the opposing team's #1 WR from beating us. Our rankings in terms of defense vs different receiver types:

vs #1 WR: 1st (best in the league), 6.2 attempts/game

vs #2 WR: 30th, 6.1

vs #3 WR: 27th, 8.5

vs TE: 13th, 9.7

vs RB: 10th, 6.0

Overall the pass defense is ranked 14th. Opposing teams are throwing to the #1 WR less often than average (compared to other teams' defenses) and more to the #3 WR and TE. To get the full stats, go to http://www.footballo...m/stats/teamdef

Although it's only 4 games, I think this shows a change in strategy from last year, where we were bad at pass D across the board except to TEs. Last years rankings:

vs #1 WR: 26th, 8.3

vs #2 WR: 25th, 6.1

vs #3 WR: 23rd, 3.7

vs TE: 2nd, 6.8

vs RB: 17th, 6.0

The breakdown from the Bresnahan years much like last year's except for 2005 where we somehow defended the #1 WR really well also.

The breakdown from the Bresnahan years much like last year's except for 2005 where we somehow defended the #1 WR really well also.

Deltha Oneal had one of the best single seasons for a CB in Bengal history that year. If I remember correctly, Deltha allowed 0 passes of 40 yards or more. That is crazy over a 16 game season.

I'm not all that troubled about the #3 WRs stat, because those guys usually only get good stats when other guys are being shut down... but the #2 WR needs to be a little better in my opinion.

I'm not all that troubled about the #3 WRs stat, because those guys usually only get good stats when other guys are being shut down... but the #2 WR needs to be a little better in my opinion.

Chris Henry? ^_^

Not sure what you mean. We're talking about the Bengal defense. I don't think Henry can play the Tab Perry role. :lol:

As for my comments on the #2 WR stats... as long as they keep shutting down #1s, the #2 guys will be getting a lot of looks. I just am hoping Joseph can lock down the #2 guys a little better.

If the defense gets beat by a #3, so be it. But there are only so many #3s out there that can really hurt you.

Chris Henry? ^_^

Not sure what you mean. We're talking about the Bengal defense. I don't think Henry can play the Tab Perry role. :lol:

As for my comments on the #2 WR stats... as long as they keep shutting down #1s, the #2 guys will be getting a lot of looks. I just am hoping Joseph can lock down the #2 guys a little better.

If the defense gets beat by a #3, so be it. But there are only so many #3s out there that can really hurt you.

JJoe, doesnt have to shutdown the #2. He just needs to contain the damage and get a couple of picks every now and than. Oh, wait that is how it has been working out. Hopefully, the lacking talents of the WR's in Balti,will allow for a better showing from the Bengals secondary. The big problem here is Heap at TE, can Roy cover him? Can Rey cover him? Guess we will find out.

Chris Henry? ^_^

Was aimed at 3# WR having good stats since Chris tends to produce in 3 & 4 WR sets.

Agreed. In fact, for all of the talk about how the Bengals now have a top tandem of CB's the truth is a little less stirring when you see how productive the opposing teams #2 wideouts have been. Simply put, Jonathan Joseph's play has improved greatly after bottoming out last season, but remains too hit or miss.

As for the #3 WR's, much like you I'm not as troubled by those stats, but only because the player who the Bengals always intended to play in the nickleback role is finally returning to health. Thus, despite my reservations about David Jones, I keep telling myself the fix to the problem may already be on the roster and might be close to solving THAT problem.

Last, in regards to cutting Geoffry Pope, the move seems to be made soley due to special teams considerations, and has very little short or long term impact in the secondary. That said, current practice squad warrior Rico Murray, who I know almost NOTHING about, impressed me during preseason....so there's that.

As for the #3 WR's, much like you I'm not as troubled by those stats, but only because the player who the Bengals always intended to play in the nickleback role is finally returning to health. Thus, despite my reservations about David Jones, I keep telling myself the fix to the problem may already be on the roster and might be close to solving THAT problem.

Even if David Jones wasn't on the roster, it's not terribly concerning. No team is going to be in the top 10 in all of those categories. And if the 3rd WR is your most productive WR, it simply means the other guys didn't perform. So, if the Bengals are shutting down the 1s and 2s, the 3s numbers will be inflated.

Unfortunately, the 2s aren't getting shut down. And it wouldn't bother me that much if it didn't seem like it was usually a big play.

So, with the talk of who is or isn't on the roster to help this team and the trading deadline coming up (Oct 20) do any of you see the Bengals making moves ??

I don't think they will, but it's intriguing to sit and think about. I suppose I could look at who was going to be a free agent next year and looking to walk away from their team without thought of the tag being applied, but honestly, I'm feeling a bit lazy...