Odom Earns AFC Defensive Player of the Week

ArmyBengal

Great effort rewarded !!!

To little surprise, Bengals defensive end Antwan Odom has been named the AFC defensive player of the week for Week Two.

He generated five -- five! -- sacks in Sunday's win over the Packers at Lambeau Field.

And so the 2008 free-agent acquisition from the Titans is delivering for the Bengals. His emergence, with seven total sacks, will force teams to game-plan to stop him, opening up one-on-one (or fewer) opportunities for the rest of the front seven.

The five sacks on Sunday were the most by any player since September 2007, when Osi Umenyiora of the Giants routinely passed through the Winston Justice turnstile.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/23/antwan-odom-wins-afc-defensive-honors/

Beat me to it.

The other nugget o' news was Tampa Bay claiming S Corey Lynch from the Bengals practice squad. The Bengals quickly ountered by signing Rico Murray to take Lynch's place.

So, a 6th round comp pick for Lynch, right?

He was not good enough to make the team and he has no upside. Good Luck in TB

A 6th rnd comp pick would be fine. It would come out evens. Me likey Tom Nelson. If he can prove he's not made of sugar glass he might last longer than the last two late rnd safety picks.

Found this video up on NFL.com. Gives some great looks at odom's sacks. Something to be excited about: look at all the other players who were one stop away from a sack on lots of these plays. Especially worth noting is how close ol' 93 is on several of these. Hope we've got a pass rush as dialed in this sunday.

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d812dc3af/NFL-Weekly-Countdown-8-Ode-to-Odom

A 6th rnd comp pick would be fine. It would come out evens. Me likey Tom Nelson. If he can prove he's not made of sugar glass he might last longer than the last two late rnd safety picks.

Found this video up on NFL.com. Gives some great looks at odom's sacks. Something to be excited about: look at all the other players who were one stop away from a sack on lots of these plays. Especially worth noting is how close ol' 93 is on several of these. Hope we've got a pass rush as dialed in this sunday.

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d812dc3af/NFL-Weekly-Countdown-8-Ode-to-Odom

That was a good video thanks for sharing. I noticed M. Johnson in those plays myself Rodgers had to step up a couple of time because of him and Odom got the sack. I think it will be pretty soon the Johnson gets his sacks, and i cant wait. Pretty soon they will have to double Odom which will leave room for the others to get sacks. I just hope it falls into place, and the sacks continue

Great video. This in no way diminishes Antwan's Herculean efforts but it goes to show that the whole line is playing well. On a couple of those someone was going to sack Rodgers if Antwan hadn't gotten there first. Good going DTs and nice stuff from the ends in beating their man on the line. Nice to see the LBs getting in on the act too when it comes to blitzing occasionally.

Really impressed with what Odom did over the summer. Putting on 30 lbs and adding a bull rush to his game without any discernible loss of speed is epic.

Found this video up on NFL.com. Gives some great looks at odom's sacks.

They broke down Odom's performance on last night's "Playbook" program. Long story short, Odom's first two sacks were described as grinding coverage style sacks that were the result of pure hustle. Then, after Chad Clifton is injured, Odom was shown repeatedly abusing the Packers backup during the transition from outside to inside rush....a simple handfighting trick that isn't likely to be productive against better competiton. That said, the final sack was said to be the most impressive of all, with Odom beating his blocker from the snap with a very quick first step.

Especially worth noting is how close ol' 93 is on several of these. Hope we've got a pass rush as dialed in this sunday.

Playbook also broke down Quan Cosby's two best returns and one was said to be the direct result of ol' 93 coming within a half step of blocking a punt, thereby rushing the kick.

Found this video up on NFL.com. Gives some great looks at odom's sacks.

They broke down Odom's performance on last night's "Playbook" program. Long story short, Odom's first two sacks were described as grinding coverage style sacks that were the result of pure hustle. Then, after Chad Clifton is injured, Odom was shown repeatedly abusing the Packers backup during the transition from outside to inside rush....a simple handfighting trick that isn't likely to be productive against better competiton. That said, the final sack was said to be the most impressive of all, with Odom beating his blocker from the snap with a very quick first step.

Especially worth noting is how close ol' 93 is on several of these. Hope we've got a pass rush as dialed in this sunday.

Playbook also broke down Quan Cosby's two best returns and one was said to be the direct result of ol' 93 coming within a half step of blocking a punt, thereby rushing the kick.

Watched it as well.

Odom's transformation in size should also make him a bit more durable. Looks like he got serious and started to work at his trade.

As for the punt returns, it was clear Quan had good blocking and vision spring him on the first but they outkicked the coverage on the second, due to the near-block, and he got to the corner.

Lots to be excited about.

As for the punt returns, it was clear Quan had good blocking and vision spring him on the first but they outkicked the coverage on the second, due to the near-block, and he got to the corner.

Lots to be excited about.

Agreed. And the most interesting thing about Michael Johnson's near miss was how routine it looked. For those who missed it, Johnson, and I think Jeanty, run a simple crossing stunt before Johnson slips into the backfield and engages the last blocker. That blocker only mangages to knock Johnson a half step off line, and after a split second recovery Johnson elevates, and continues elevating, eventually rising through the clouds to plant a kiss on the left cheek of an unsuspecting angel.

Then again, it may have only seemed like he got that much lift.

Regardless, it was easy to see how MJ's length could very easily result in numerous blocked kicks in the near future....as well as the type of rushed punt that resulted in a long Quan Cosby return.

Props to MJ for a great play that won't show in his personal stat line.

No question that the entire line is to be congratulated on all of Antwan's sacks. It was a team effort. But I was impressed that once Antwan got his hands on the QB, he actually brought him down. In other words, he "tackled". How many times have we seen our Bengals blow sacks after getting their hands on a QB? Kudos to Antwan for finishing off the sack.

No question that the entire line is to be congratulated on all of Antwan's sacks. It was a team effort. But I was impressed that once Antwan got his hands on the QB, he actually brought him down. In other words, he "tackled". How many times have we seen our Bengals blow sacks after getting their hands on a QB? Kudos to Antwan for finishing off the sack.

Oh yeah, Justin Smith says "hi".

He was a man among boys out there, a wreckin' machine, just swallowing people on the way to the QB. Hopefully we have a whole lot more success against him... we'll need it.

I think most just hope it was not just some anomoly. Odom was fragile last year and was a big let-down after coming in as the highest paid free agent ever.

I think the steelers line will adjust and it could be Geathers or Johnson who gets their mitts on Benny.

As GB's WR are superior to Pitt's, I expect Hall and Joseph to give the D-line a chance to pad their sack stats and bruise ben's kidneys.

He was a man among boys out there, a wreckin' machine, just swallowing people on the way to the QB. Hopefully we have a whole lot more success against him... we'll need it.

If I'm the guy calling the shots for dem' Bengals....(pause for laughter to subside).....my pass rush game planning would be crafted, from start to finish, with Trai Essex in mind.

If I'm the guy calling the shots for dem' Bengals....(pause for laughter to subside).....my pass rush game planning would be crafted, from start to finish, with Trai Essex in mind.

Not a bad place to start, but really, any of tham can be abused. OL is clearly the weakness of our football team, and with Ben's tendancy to hold the ball and extend plays your boys will have their chances at him. That's a virtual certainty. The question is how many times can the get him and how many times will he get away and make the play. Should be interesting to watch.

That was a good video thanks for sharing. I noticed M. Johnson in those plays myself Rodgers had to step up a couple of time because of him and Odom got the sack. I think it will be pretty soon the Johnson gets his sacks, and i cant wait. Pretty soon they will have to double Odom which will leave room for the others to get sacks. I just hope it falls into place, and the sacks continue

thing I loved was Michael Johnson was all over the Place even covering Donald Driver on a play.

Great effort by Odom....Now Geathers needs to get off his A$$, and do something on the other side.

Articles posted this week highlight that Geathers is facing double teams which gives Odom the opportunities to get these one on ones and get sacks.

So Geathers is contributing mightily without getting rewarded for it with sacks.

Great effort by Odom....Now Geathers needs to get off his A$$, and do something on the other side.

Articles posted this week highlight that Geathers is facing double teams which gives Odom the opportunities to get these one on ones and get sacks.

So Geathers is contributing mightily without getting rewarded for it with sacks.

I also submit that Hall and Joseph contirbuted mightily to Odom's success. WHen Greg Jennings catches ZERO passes, they are playing coverage very well. Rodgers had nowhere to throw and nowhere to run...what will Benji do?