Cosby vs. Nelson

mgi

I started out rooting for Cosby for the PR job, but then I watched the NE game and started to like how Nelson was contributing defensively. With the depth at WR, I started rooting for Nelson--which would also make room for Purify who seems to have had a good off-season. But then Cosby returned a punt, and everyone thought that would secure his job. But Nelson does the same (St. Louis' coverage must be bad.) But if Nelson makes the team, does that hurt Corey Lynch (both special-teamers who play safety?)

If it is between the two, who makes the team? Who are you rooting for and why?

Looking forward to all the insight (and eventual bickering, I presume)...

Nelson

For one reason: Versatility - He can play S, CB, teams and return punts.

Cosby can play WR and return. WR is about the deepest position on this team, he will rarely see the field playing WR. About all he can contribute is punt return.

Think of Nelson as Kilmer v2, without the injury cloud.

Nelson

For one reason: Versatility - He can play S, CB, teams and return punts.

Cosby can play WR and return. WR is about the deepest position on this team, he will rarely see the field playing WR. About all he can contribute is punt return.

Think of Nelson as Kilmer v2, without the injury cloud.

I agree with this. Cosby has an appointment with a human weeble-wobble.

With the depth at WR, I started rooting for Nelson--which would also make room for Purify who seems to have had a good off-season.

Nelson. We need safeties who can cover, not to mention his other skills. Also, Corey Lynch has looked really tentative ever since the NO preseason game. Nelson seems to really have a nose for the ball, and I like that.

I'd like to keep Purify too, just on the off-chance that the NFL decides to break ties by having WRs do Oklahoma drills. I still can't believe what he did to Roy Williams.

As much of a Cosby fan as I am, Nelson has to be the obvious choice. What he has to offer (secondary depth) to an area of the team that is considered weak and his return skills, he simply brings more to the table. I always thought the Bears would have drafted Cosby in the 7th with their need for WR's and the Bears considering not using Hester as much in the return game with him being considered their #1 WR. Anyway, Nelson. Sorry Cosby...

In cutting Fletcher today, it looks like the Bengals want to get a good, long look at Nelson at CB before the Sept. 5th cuts.

If Nelson makes it, I believe it's the end of Lynch as they're pretty comparable players.

Who becomes the 6th and final WR, though? Purify, maybe??

6th WR would be Purify by my estimate, or a FA...they didi try to sign Holt again.

give me cosby, he is a better player than nelson. nelson might play safety, corner, but his is in no way a nfl level db. cosby on the other could hold his own if he was to get some playing time at wo. then cosby is the more elusive and shifty runner, who would give us a better chance on getting some st's scores and field position.

give me cosby, he is a better player than nelson. nelson might play safety, corner, but his is in no way a nfl level db. cosby on the other could hold his own if he was to get some playing time at wo. then cosby is the more elusive and shifty runner, who would give us a better chance on getting some st's scores and field position.

I totally agree here.

I am less impressed with Nelson than some others. On most NFL teams, he would be a PS-type player at best, but we have some major questions at CB behind Hall and Joseph, and that probably boosts his stock some with the Bengals and the Bengals fan base, as a whole. All that said, It's obvious that the Bengals would prefer to use Crocker and David Jones in the Nickel and Dime, while Morgan Trent is a virtual lock to make the team as the 4th pure CB with some decent play in the Pre-Season. That would make Nelson the #6 CB on the playing depth chart (assuming Pope gets crunched in the numbers) and he's MAYBE the 4th S, so he would figure to contribute mostly on STs at this point.

I think the Bengals haven't had a great returner in so long, that the importance of having a return guy that can create short fields for the offense has been minimized. In the last 15 years, we've had exactly 2 punt returns for TDs; one by P-Dub and one by C-Saw, for the Bengals fans from the "dark ages". I like what I see in Cosby, who is just a football player and very similar to the two former Bengals who have those returned punts for TDs. He may not be the fastest or biggest, but he's always made plays. If he shows anything coverage wise, he should be the guy, but my gut still tells me that Marv will keep Old Semi-Faithful in Antonio Chatman, especially if we're only talking about a STs guy. The other two would make the PS and at least one would get activated once Chatman is injured, while we get to keep Darrin Simmons' new personal favorite in Lynch on the roster.