Jason Shirley moved to LG?

Walrus

According to the .com

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/monday-update-watson-cut/728c77eb-0726-4ff2-9c50-fd9d7eaff78c

» Jason Shirley has taken off his No. 97 jersey and put on a No. 70 jersey. He has permanently made the move from defensive tackle to left guard.

I'm surprised. Hobson says "permanently" as though he had spent some time there in camp, but if he has, I wasn't aware of it... What's the success rate for moves like this across the line? Is this just a last-ditch effort to make something of Shirley's short career?

Did not see it coming, but count me as pleasantly surprised and supportive of this.

New England does this kind of stuff all the time. Well worth a look, especially if the Bengals are happy with what they have at the DT rotation...

Did not see it coming, but count me as pleasantly surprised and supportive of this.

New England does this kind of stuff all the time. Well worth a look, especially if the Bengals are happy with what they have at the DT rotation...

I guess if they think they can continue to develop a guy likely to be cut from a deeper position by moving him to a thinner position ... good idea. At least they're being creative! Besides, being such a tall guy Shirley seems to have a better physique for the Oline than Dline.

Any examples of guys who have been successful w/ this from New England?

I was always hoping Shirley would be able to figure it out at DT, because he's so d*mn big, but I guess that's over with.

I guess I can keep hoping he'll be able to figure it out on the o-line, but can't say as I'm anywhere near thrilled with this move for HIM.

He doesn't have any experience doing this that I am aware of, outside of them tinkering in camp. I think this is the way for the Bengals to keep another player on the defensive line without getting rid of Shirley completely. I also think this elevates the possibility of them taking one of the few good DT's coming out in the draft next year.

At least the team is being creative...

I don't have a problem with a guy switching positions, btw, my problem has always been their lack of high draft picks or quality FA's for the interior o-line over the years. Steinbach and Williams - that's been it since Marvin took over 6+ years ago. The rest have been fodder, and of course Steinbach is elsewhere.

So this move just demonstrates how lightly they continue to view those positions in terms of importance (and maybe why their QB is hurt almost every year and their running game was abysmal most of last year and the year before).

Just tired of the constant musical chairs at LG and C. Alexander is a doofus.

And oh yeah, pay Andre Smith already.

I don't have a problem with a guy switching positions, btw, my problem has always been their lack of high draft picks or quality FA's for the interior o-line over the years.

There are advantages and disadvantages though. I agree, there have been some great IOLs to be had in the first round in recent yrs. Unfortunately we've been picking so near the top it would be a bit foolish to waste a top 10 pick on an IOL. What would be nice is for them to identify some solid mid round tackles who would be able to transition into being a good G at the NFL level.

Well, I must admit I just read the article and see where injuries to other o-lineman and a hard charging rookie in McDonald made this an option, but I'm thinking it's his last shot as opposed to getting cut outright.

But isn't that the strange thing about this move? If they already knew he wasn't going to make the team at his natural position, why not just cut him outright? If the move is an indication at how badly the Bengals are in need of O-Line depth, why not just sign someone who actually plays OG?

This is just too strange. It's not as if they just tried him out on the O-Line just to see how he'd do, like they did with Stacy Andrews at DT for a handful of practices. They actually changed his jersey number, and moved him on the depth chart. Maybe he actually has some skill on that side of the ball and they thought it was worth it to give him a shot... because I can't think of many other reasonable options that make sense.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN

Has tidbit about him not playing Oline fulltime since highschool...which makes sound like he mind messed around with it here and there in college.

...or maybe it's just a reference to his time as an OL on the scout team last fall, as per Hobson. Who knows... I did some searches this morning looking for anything about him playing on OL in college but came up empty.

Hobson updated his article (again) and fleshed things out a bit more...

Offensive line coach Paul Alexander told Shirley the story of right tackle Stacy Andrews, which has a happy ending but not for the Bengals. They took Andrews in the fourth round of the 2004 draft even though he had played just 70 snaps of football. Andrews became the Bengals franchise free agent in 2008 before the Eagles paid him $7 million per year in free agency.

"I think he has a lot of skills that would define a pretty good offensive line prospect. It will be fun to work with him," Alexander said. "We're down in numbers so he's going to get work and an opportunity. I told him he's played more football, even offensive football, in his life than Stacy Andrews has."

They didn't waste any time. On Monday morning he took a few snaps in goal line, no-huddle, and 9-on-seven.

"I don't think the coaches would have moved me if they didn't think I could contribute. Out there today I felt cool with the techniques," Shirley said. "I just have to get them under my belt. You can use your hands. You just have to wait to punch instead of automatic hands first. I've got to go hands second, feet first. It's kind of switched over.

"I've got to pick the brains of Bobbie Williams and some of the other veterans as fast as I can to contribute to the team or whatever they want me to do."

The knock on Shirley at Fresno State and with the Bengals has been his inconsistent motor. He was on the roster last year but didn't make his debut until the 11th game and only played in three.

There is some thought that he has more of an O-lineman's mentality. It just could be the last move before he gets cut, or they may try to develop him on the practice squad. It looks like a tough haul to make the 53-man roster for him on offense. They usually keep nine offensive linemen and even without No. 1 pick Andre Smith signed it is tight.

There are the five starters plus backup center Jonathan Luigs, backup guard-tackle Scott Kooistra and backup right tackle Dennis Roland. That leaves one spot and there are guards like Mathis and Andrew Crummey with more experience. There is a fear that Santucci has another serious foot problem.

As always, one of Shirley's new mentors, Williams, the starting right guard, had his broad smile working after practice.

"It never ceases to amaze me coming to work," Williams said. "It might turn out to be a good thing. As practice went on and he spent more time with Paul and some of the older guys, he started to pick it up. I'm telling you, he was looking pretty good."

Williams' advice is as straight forward as the position.

"In that guard position, everything happens a lot quicker," Williams said. "He has good feet. The transition might not be that bad. He just has to stick to the technique, learn the plays and don't slack on the intensity. You've got to have intensity."

Had to chuckle at Bobbie's comments there. Sounds like this is as surprising to the players as it was to anyone.

They've been saying good things about McDonald for a while, so we will have to see how he plays in the preseason. That and how about carrying one of the others as a DE/DT guy that they probably would have had to cut without making this move ?? If not for the injuries, it sounds like Shirley would have been cut and sounds like that is still a probably thing. He is a BIG guy and I am a bit disappointed he didn't work out at DT as well.

Shaun Smith as someone suggested ?? Not just no, but F*CK NO !!! Sounds like the Lions have a hard on for him anyway and I'm ok with that...