Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number 6 pick signing a freaking 4 year deal is a f*cking waste of time and would piss me off. He's already lost so much time this year and is behind in his development and then you have one year in camp the following season, and then the next he's a RFA and then the money issue is right back there again. The following year he's an UFA and gets tagged or paid. Just do it now and be done.

If they wanted to get creative with it, I would rather them sign him to a 6 year deal and pay him more. That way the Bengals would have some guaranteed time with him since this year is so behind and then he could get more money without looking to stupid in the process. I'm just throwing stuff out there, but want nothing to do with a 4 year deal at #6. Just me...

The number 6 pick signing a freaking 4 year deal is a f*cking waste of time and would piss me off. He's already lost so much time this year and is behind in his development and then you have one year in camp the following season, and then the next he's a RFA and then the money issue is right back there again. The following year he's an UFA and gets tagged or paid. Just do it now and be done.

Well perk is being Loyal man Mr Brown is that they don't seem to have a problem when it comes to second contracts only first ones..With that being said I don't see it happening because The Browns forced Odell to take a 5 year deal no way they give Andre a four...The only Perk I could see in a four year deal is if Andre did happen to bust then we wouldn't be attached to him longer...

This kid has all type of controversy surrounding him from last season through the combine workout and after seeing him on Hardknocks this kids is looking for a payday and that is it....I had to laugh when I noticed that he looks like a cross between ReRun from (Whats Happening) and Urkel...This dude is out of shape and is not ready to step in a play like a first round player. Perhaps all who are busting Brown on this one can only bust him for selecting him rather than busting him for only wanting to pay him for so he can wait out the season and go back in the draft.

I am under the impression that this draft pick looked good on paper but when they finally met up with him in the spring after the draft they realized that he was a complete bust. So rather than look like an idiot they are trying to play the media by offering this guy money so low that he is willing to sit out the season and go back into the draft next year and they don't need to worry about paying for another stiff...

I could care less what happened at the combine, and he is working out you just have to remember he has always had those man tities. This guy is a beast, and when he plays he is great just watch games that he played in. I for one cant wait till he gets here starter or not he will be great. Now sign him please :rolleyes:

This kid has all type of controversy surrounding him from last season through the combine workout and after seeing him on Hardknocks this kids is looking for a payday and that is it....I had to laugh when I noticed that he looks like a cross between ReRun from (Whats Happening) and Urkel...This dude is out of shape and is not ready to step in a play like a first round player. Perhaps all who are busting Brown on this one can only bust him for selecting him rather than busting him for only wanting to pay him for so he can wait out the season and go back in the draft.

I am under the impression that this draft pick looked good on paper but when they finally met up with him in the spring after the draft they realized that he was a complete bust. So rather than look like an idiot they are trying to play the media by offering this guy money so low that he is willing to sit out the season and go back into the draft next year and they don't need to worry about paying for another stiff...

He's in better shape or just as good as when he played in college,so ya I'd say he's ready to start playing...Acourse Money is important as it is to every single player in the draft I get tired hearing people act like he's the only player who held out...He just had bad luck and has to deal with the Browns to get him signed and in camp....

People can question his decision making all they want. I have at times. However, what can't be done is question his on field production. You just can't do it. If you do that, then couple it with an explanation of how he could be considered the best player in the draft for the better portion of 4 months heading into the combine. It was those decisions that caused him to fall to us, NOT his abilities playing.

Also Saturday, the agent for first-round pick Andre Smith said he's coming into Cincinnati for face-to-face talks Sunday but there are no indications that Alvin Keels and the team are any closer than the huge $5-10 million gap that has been described in media reports.

Dotcom confirms Alvin Keels is coming in sunday

I'm to the point that I wish they would just trade out of the top 10 the next time around. It's just not worth it. Other than Carson, they have had minimal success in signing high picks on time. And how many of them have stepped on the field that first year and done anything noteworthy? I just think it is a flawed system and we seem to make it worse.

I would rather have two solid picks with less risk than one guy that won't be ready until October or November and might take until next year to catch up.

I'm to the point that I wish they would just trade out of the top 10 the next time around. It's just not worth it. Other than Carson, they have had minimal success in signing high picks on time. And how many of them have stepped on the field that first year and done anything noteworthy? I just think it is a flawed system and we seem to make it worse.

I would rather have two solid picks with less risk than one guy that won't be ready until October or November and might take until next year to catch up.

Well I'll be quite happy once Andre reaches the field And I do enjoy having Keith Rivers on this team :P but ya they did do a good job getting Hall & Jjoe in asap since they were later picks...

# The #bengals and @alvinkeels met for four hours today where no progress was made in getting the first-round offensive tackle signed.13 minutes ago from TweetDeck

#

@smo513 With this franchise, you can never rule anything outabout 1 hour ago from TweetDeck in reply to smo513

#

@jsl413 Calls and e-mails are in to both parties without any response. That means they might be finally accomplishing somethingabout 2 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to jsl413

From Joereedys twitter.

Leaving Cinci. Not any closer on a deal for Andre Smith. Mike Brown says "the ship has sailed on the slotting system"

On one hand, it kind of sucks that they drafted him and he'll probably never be signed by the Bengals. On the other, I'm glad at least SOMEONE is trying to do something about the stupid slotting system. Oh well....

They knew he was going take more money then Vernon if they didn't wanna pay that much they should have traded down...>_<

Trading down isn't as easy as it sounds. Nobody wants to pay an unproven rookie that much money. Plus a lot of teams don't want to do business with Mikey...

They knew he was going take more money then Vernon if they didn't wanna pay that much they should have traded down...>_<

Trading down isn't as easy as it sounds. Nobody wants to pay an unproven rookie that much money. Plus a lot of teams don't want to do business with Mikey...

Easy way they don't call the pick in :| Or like said early do like Cleveland and trade down for nothing...

Paul Brown was Revolutionary for his impact on the game Mike brown is revolutionary for his shrewd business tactics...Why Sign Andre at all he can save even more that way...

Leaving Cinci. Not any closer on a deal for Andre Smith. Mike Brown says "the ship has sailed on the slotting system"

On one hand, it kind of sucks that they drafted him and he'll probably never be signed by the Bengals. On the other, I'm glad at least SOMEONE is trying to do something about the stupid slotting system. Oh well....

Uh...no.

This doesn't represent anyone "doing something" about the slotting system. There's no alternative being proposed, like say, a rookie salary cap. This is just Mike Brown being cheap.

Looking at the rest of the league, I dont see any other "sails" out on the "kill the slotting system" ocean.

Except Crabtree's of course. Now there's a pair: Michael Brown and Michael Crabtree. Peas in a pod...

Easy way they don't call the pick in :|

Exactly. I actually thought there was a good chance that would happen this year, and think there's even a better chance it will next year. I think top-7 or 8 picks actually have negative value. I'd respect a team dropping 5 picks, at least to #10, before turning in the card. But what I don't respect is taking a kid whom you have no intention of paying market rates. That's one reason I don't believe much in the draft system as-is - sure the kids get lots of money, but they have absolutely no freedom.

I think something needs to be done to keep some dink owner like Mike Brown from doing this. Maybe give the kids the option of taking a one-year deal at franchise tender money from the team of their choice instead of the guaranteed 6-year deal from the team that drafts them. That would force teams to negotiate fairly. I don't think many players would utilize it, because you'd be taking a lot of risk, but it would allow a kid like Smith to not be held hostage by a jackassed owner. Another notion - as long as you have a salary cap, get rid of the draft altogether. Let the rookies compete in FA with the vets and let teams decide how they want to build their rosters.

It's kind of funny - for months, I was worried about Keels being difficult to deal with, and it turns out Mike Brown makes him look completely reasonable. Crap like this is why big-time free agents NEVER sign with Cincinnati. You can't do business like this in such a small, heavily reported industry and not have it hurt you.