Roy Williams

ArmyBengal

This is a new article from the DDN about Williams and his story coming to the Bengals that I rather enjoyed reading.

I also like the way the safety position is looking heading into camps. There should be a good competition for the starters spots and we should also have solid depth.

BENGALS SAFETY, WILLIAMS, COMMITTED TO PERFORM:

By Carlos 'Big C' Holmes, Staff Writer

Updated 7:52 AM Monday, July 20, 2009

When the Cincinnati Bengals signed veteran safety Roy Williams this offseason fans knew instantly the impact player the team was adding on defense. But what Bengal fans might be intrigued to learn is the high standard that the player holds himself to both on and off the field.

While many of the leagues players are off vacationing and resting up before training camp opens, Williams is in Cincinnati hard at work training with Clif Marshall, performance director of Ignition Athletics Performance Group in Mason, Ohio.

It was at Ignition where I had the opportunity to sit down and chat with Williams about the things that are important to him. One of the first things I learned was his commitment to playing at a high level for the Bengals.

I had all the vacation I needed sitting out from football last season, Williams said. I felt that it was more important for me to get back in shape and get where I need to be. Our strength coach, Chip Morton, told me about Clifs energy and thats why Im here. Its a good fit for me and I hope to make the most of it.

Williams missed 13 games last season due to a broken forearm. Before that, he was a five time Pro Bowl selection (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007). The individual accolades seem to mean very little to Williams at this point in his career. Hes more focused on the here and now.

I am very blessed to have some Pro Bowls under my belt, but I dont get caught up in the hoopla of being a Pro Bowl safety, he said. It was an honor and I appreciate it, but thats the past. I cant worry about what happened then. I have to be able to produce on Sundays for the Bengals when they need me to perform.

I dont want people thinking that just because I played under coach Zimmer in Dallas that Im his boy. If he tells me to shut up I have to listen. Im working and fighting for this job. Theres nothing given to me and I am one of the guys trying to make the team. I just want to contribute. Im no better than anyone else on this team. Im not coming in here thinking that Im hot stuff and about to run things. I can be on the backseat and end up third-string.

Williams will be competing against the likes of Chris Crocker, Chinedum Ndukwe, Marvin White, Kyries Hebert and Corey Lynch during training camp.

You always have to come into situations humbled and understand your role, Williams said. Youre in here competing for a job to make the team better. If youre not making the team better you have to take a backseat or youre going to be out of here. I just want to be able to help and play to the level I was playing under Zim.

Williams played under Zimmer for five seasons while in Dallas where he had some of the best years of his seven-year career.

If minicamp was any indication of the role Williams will play in the Bengals defense this season, opposing offenses had better beware.

It was on one play during run drills where a small hole opened up along the line and Williams zoomed past linebacker Dhani Jones to make the play. Jones looked at the safety in amazement as if to say where the heck did you come from? Williams, of course, was just doing what he was brought in to do, make plays.

Williams is a player that leads by example and other players feed off his energy.

This little light of mine

We often see athletes praying before games or pointing to the heavens after making a fantastic play. What does it all mean and is it sincere?

Outwardly expressing ones Christian beliefs is deemed taboo in everyday life, but Williams has no qualms sharing his faith. I first became acquainted with Williams at Paul Brown Stadium where we crossed paths in the tunnel after minicamp. He was wearing a t-shirt that read I love my church.

In fact, you can also find him on Twitter delivering the inspirational word of God.

I dont shy away from my Christianity, Williams said. When people give me a compliment I say glory to God. Without him I wouldnt be recognized for my talent if God wasnt inside me. It is obvious, glory to God first for me.

Williams doesnt proclaim to be some modern day saint, but tries to live his life staying true to the word.

Youre either on the winning team which is God or the losing team which is the Devil, he said. Ive been on the losing team before and once I switched over to the winning team life became a little easier, but at the same time became a little harder. Once you make that push to do right, Satan gets mad.

In 2004, when I rededicated myself to Christ, thats when I caught the most persecution. Thats when the media started talking and fans started saying, Roy got soft because he gave his life to Christ. Its not that I got soft. Im not going to let words hurt me or deter me from doing what I love to do and that is love God and play football.

Before the change in Williams life he recalled a time when he used to carry $10,000 in his pocket. He was flashy, wearing expensive jewelry and flew all over the country to be a part of what he called the in crowd. Williams said he had to attend all the big parties and award ceremonies but never drank or smoked. It was just all about having a good old time.

It wasnt until Williams walked back into his church in Dallas, Texas that he had a humbling experience.

I felt the love, he said. They had mens fellowship on Friday and it was all of us coming together getting the word, laughing and joking around. It was something to do rather than going out on Friday nights. That was awesome for me and just being a part of something positive was the best for me. I had a great transformation and am happy where I am.

Last stop

Williams was drafted by Dallas with the eighth overall pick in the 2002 draft and released by the team this offseason upon his request. A number of teams showed interest in the former Pro Bowler, but none more so than the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles where looking to replace longtime safety Brian Dawkins who bolted to Denver during free agency.

Williams passed on more lucrative offers from other teams and signed with Cincinnati.

I really wasnt moved by any team until coach Zim called me, Williams said. It wasnt about riches. I feel this defense has a lot of upside. To do the things they did under coach Zim last year its only going to get better. Im really looking forward to this season. Im very excited to step in and be a part of whats going to happen here.

When asked if he wanted to finish his career in Cincinnati, Williams didnt mix words.

I do, he said. It just depends on how well the season goes. I would love to be back here. In fact, Im going to claim it. Its going to happen. I dont want to be anywhere else. Im very comfortable here and I feel the people are great. Im here for a reason, to play football.

/>http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-safety-williams-committed-to-perform-211925.html

Nice read. I like Williams more and more. He has his head and straight and is saying all the right things. I hope he's still got some left in the tank, because we'll need him to step up this year badly.

I really like this. Work ethic. Attitude. Pedigree. He may have some coverage issues to some, but I believe he does nothing but strenghten this team both on the field and in the locker room. Maybe he can have some chats with a certain receiver we all know and...well.

I'm actually kinda hoping he lays a couple hits on him in minicamp to wake him up. Then tell him to stop being such a jackass and play the game.

I really like this. Work ethic. Attitude. Pedigree. He may have some coverage issues to some, but I believe he does nothing but strenghten this team both on the field and in the locker room. Maybe he can have some chats with a certain receiver we all know and...well.

I'm actually kinda hoping he lays a couple hits on him in minicamp to wake him up. Then tell him to stop being such a jackass and play the game.

Yeah, I actually should have put the word chats in quotes, i.e. 'chats', because, like you, I don't really care if those 'chats' are verbal or perhaps a little more emphatic. Whatever it takes.

Look forward to seeing how they use the safeties,Since Ndukwe has been one of the brighter spots on our defense if they'll sit him or just try form different packages to rotate them..Nickle packages should be easy since they'll more then likely be placing Crocker in at Cornerback.

Williams will be competing against the likes of Chris Crocker, Chinedum Ndukwe, Marvin White, Kyries Hebert and Corey Lynch during training camp.

That is a part of the article that I liked to see. Easily able to get two good starters and the depth behind them will be better than average as well along with some special teams tough guys. Hard to complain about a bunch of safeties like that.

Yo, why the name change from Ickey44?

Well, me and my buddy were making fun of Mike Vick the other day, and the whole Ron Mexico thing and I thought it'd be funny to change my name to Ron Mexico in light of the fact that the NFL put a ban on the custom #7 Mexico jerseys.

Basically, I was just being a dumbass and thought it might get a laugh or two here......I was wrong apparently. Oh well, there's always next year.

I hate the Cowboyz and i have alot of friends that are Cowboyz fans, and I used to ribbed them about RWilliams getting toasted and causing them to lose some games late in the 4th qtr...Man how things change when that person is playing for your team, I hope that he still has something in the tank also and for what he was saying he sounds like he is playing with an a chip on his soldier...I like our DB coaches and maybe they can teach a better technique than what he had in Dallas and he won't be a liabilty in passing situations...There is no doubt about his ability to stop the run...

That is a part of the article that I liked to see. Easily able to get two good starters and the depth behind them will be better than average as well along with some special teams tough guys. Hard to complain about a bunch of safeties like that.

I'm actually pleased with our depth all the way around on defense except for DE and nickel back. I truly think Jones will be alright as the third corner, he got progressively better with each game last year. Our DE's however, especially that back ups, leave a little to be desired, I think. Rucker flashed at times last year. Fanene I haven't seen anything from. Johnson is a rookie and we're not sure which way he will go. Hell, ever Odom and Geathers are suspect. I'm hoping with the strength of the DT's we have now with Tank, Sims, and Peko that the DE's will benefit from that and be able to get to the QB more often.

He sounds like he is playing with an a chip on his soldier......

On what Soldier ?? Well someone help him already !!!

Just kidding, I mess up my words as well.

Anyway, I agree with the DE depth concerns as well, but we will just have to deal with what we've got at this point. The 3rd corner is still a concern for me, but it appears we have no other options and will just have to hope for the best and no injuries to the starters.

He sounds like he is playing with an a chip on his soldier......

On what Soldier ?? Well someone help him already !!!

Just kidding, I mess up my words as well.

Anyway, I agree with the DE depth concerns as well, but we will just have to deal with what we've got at this point. The 3rd corner is still a concern for me, but it appears we have no other options and will just have to hope for the best and no injuries to the starters.

:lol: