Revamped Bengals

Kazkal

Looks like the first set up of the Oline will be

LT:Whitworth

LG:Livings

C:Cook

RG:Williams

RT:A.Smith

Week one what would you like the Oline to look like?

Revamped Bengals take field

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 10 minutes ago

* a

* a

The Bengals take the field for the first time Tuesday with their widely acclaimed offseason acquisitions on display in an overhaul designed to rebound from their worst season with Marvin Lewis and Carson Palmer at the helm

Not only is it the first glimpse at a roster on which 40 players weren't a year ago. But in three workouts during each of the next four weeks (in which players wear helmets, shorts and no pads), the coaches get to expand what they've been working on since the offseason workouts began March 30. For instance, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and position coach Jay Hayes have made pass rush a point of emphasis a couple of times a week with the defensive line.

Here is a list of some of the best story lines of May and June:

Andre Smith's side: The conventional wisdom seems to be that the Bengals are going to move their most experienced left tackle, Andrew Whitworth, from left guard and put him back at tackle while opting to put their first-round pick at right tackle. That would suggest that Anthony Collins, who finished last season at left, may start out backing up both or they could start him at right. But the way the Bengals sounded on Draft Day, they want Smith playing right away.

You're going to be hearing this a lot in the coming weeks and months. The goal is going to be to get the best players on the field no matter the position. So if they’ve decided Whitworth and Smith are the two best tackles, that's why they're not going to keep Whitworth at left guard.

One subplot here is left guard. Nate Livings held up well there in the final six games when Scott Kooistra suffered a season-ending knee injury. Both are back and Kooistra seems healthy.

Center of it All: Let's face it; the offensive line is going to dominate Tuesday's news cycle. Gone are three tackles that were here last year at this time, as well as their starting center, Eric Ghiaciuc, and it's the first practice quarterback Carson Palmer has overseen since the lack of protection sent him into medical exile five games into last season.

The Bengals don't have a center on their roster with a NFL start, but they are hoping the May and June sessions reinforce what Kyle Cook has learned in the system for the past two years. They have six centers on the roster and one of them, Jonathan Luigs, is a fourth-round pick they hope gets acclimated at guard so he can play a couple of different spots.

Pitch Count: They've been saying Palmer's right elbow is ready to go for so long now that it's not even the top story line. He was cleared back in the winter and has been working in the offseason program. He figures his pitch count of 150 to 180 balls is what he would throw in a typical spring workout that lasts for about an hour and 50 minutes.

In the first public look at Palmer's recovery from a slight tear of the ulna collateral ligament, all eyes will be on his ability to get the ball down field.

Linebacker lineup: The Bengals were as nearly as adamant about getting second-round pick Rey Maualuga on the field as quickly as Smith. Although he played a ferocious middle linebacker at USC, they lined him up at SAM backer at the rookie camp and seem set on leaving Dhani Jones in the middle. That would put SAM backer Rashad Jeanty on the bench, a guy that has been, arguably, their best run player

It comes under the same heading of getting the best player on the field without a label. If Jones, Maualuga, and Keith Rivers are the three best linebackers, why make Maualuga sit and learn behind Jones?

Rush hour: The Bengals finished next to last in generating sacks per pass in '08 and Zimmer feels responsible because he spent so much time emphasizing stopping the run.

So every Tuesday and Thursday for about 30 and 40 minutes he and Hayes have been putting the line through drills solely focused on pass-rush fundamentals.

"It's not like we haven't been working on it, we're just emphasizing it more," said left end Robert Geathers. "Sometimes you get distracted just trying to get to the quarterback and you've got to remember what to use to get there. The things the great ones use to get there. Hands. First step. Pad level. Just focus on it. Watching a little more on film and go over it on the field. Not at a fast tempo but at coaches' speed. More teaching and the veterans get to put their two cents in. It will help us."

With Geathers rehabbing from microfracture knee surgery and not expected to be back until June, Frostee Rucker and Jonathan Fanene figure to get their shots at left end in the base defense as well as inside on passing downs. Rucker and his mates have been watching DVDs of Warren Sapp's D-Line the year the Bucs won the Super Bowl with Booger McFarland, Simeon Rice, and Greg Spires.

Second-year tackle Pat Sims has a DVD of Kevin Williams, the Vikings' four-time Pro Bowler with 42.5 career sacks. Rucker is also watching tape of Williams' teammate, end Jared Allen. Rucker is about three inches shorter than the 6-6 Allen, but he can pick up some things.

"He doesn't leave himself just one move. He's got a couple of different options," Rucker said. "He's got the all-time motor. He uses his inside rush as effective as his outside rush.

"Last year the whole emphasis was stopping the run and I think we made huge strides in that last year," Rucker said. "We get it. We know where our fits are. Now, let's not forget to rush the passer."

Roy In The Box: What exactly do you do with a five-time Pro Bowl safety that got here less than two weeks before the on-field workouts? With Roy Williams still picking up the system, you'd have to think that Chris Crocker and Chinedum Ndukwe are going to start in the base defense.

But in another example of getting your best defenders on the field, the Bengals talked when Williams signed of having three safeties on the field in some packages.

Spring ball isn't exactly going to underscore Williams' strengths, which are tackling, hitting, and playing the run. But Zimmer and secondary coaches Kevin Coyle and Louie Cioffi insist he can still play the pass, the major knock against him in Dallas.

They should certainly get a good idea if he can cover in these practices because that's one thing you can see without pads.

And Coyle has had his own points of emphasis this spring. He's been walking around with two baseball gloves and some softballs in an effort to drill the DBs on playing and judging the ball in the air.

Hometown Huddle: Just how effective is rookie punter Kevin Huber going to be? The University of Cincinnati All-American is going to get plenty of chances because three days after they drafted him in the fifth round they cut the other two punters, including their regular over the last five seasons, Kyle Larson.

It is also Huber's first look in the operation with the long-time duo of long snapper Brad St. Louis and kicker Shayne Graham. St. Louis has snapped for all of his 154 field goals as a Bengal and Larson held for 132 of them.

Huber, the McNicholas High grad, is the second Cincinnati prep player to play at UC and be drafted by the Bengals. You have to go all the way back to 1969 when Woodward High's Clem Turner, a running back, was taken in the fourth round. Turner played one season and averaged 4.6 yards on 23 carries.

I'd be leaning towards

LT:Collins

LG:Whitworth

C:Cook or Luigs who ever they feel is best

+1

If Smith is the real deal and they feel comfortable with him at LT then shift Collins over to RT but other than that....

I'd be leaning towards

+1

If Smith is the real deal and they feel comfortable with him at LT then shift Collins over to RT but other than that....

Which would be fine just wanna put Andre in where he's going have biggest impact...

I'd be leaning towards

+1

Which would be fine just wanna put Andre in where he's going have biggest impact...

I agree with the above as well, Collins did as well as I have seen Whitworth do at OT last year, especially for a rookie... I think Whitworth is average at best as a OT, but almost dominant as an OG, while Collins could become a solid OT... Let's leave Whitworth where he may approach pro-bowl caliber since he really is not much, if at all, of an upgrade at OT over Collins...

I'd be just fine with Whit playing OT. I think he played better at LT his rookie year than Collins did last year. I'm not sure how much I trust Livings though... and am hoping Whitworth stays at LG for no other reason than he'll be a huge help to whatever Center they start.

I also like A. Smith at RT because of his run blocking skills, and think that the running game will get a big upgrade there with him starting. I'm a bit surprised to see Collins as a back-up. Perhaps he's not quite as ready to be a starting NFL OT as some think. If that's the case, you've got to at least like the Bengals depth at OT... given that the guy many want starting might be a back-up.

i think they should leave collins at LT, whit at LG cook/luigs C, bobbie RG Andre RT. like 44 said whitworth is a budding all-pro at guard and collins showed well last year. i also don't think collins is a prime candidate for RT as he doesn't quite have the measurables that RT's usually have, but is almost proto-type LT material.

I don't know. Everyone talks about how Collins performed last year but kind of ignored Livings. He played just as well. I think the guy is pretty good. The coaching staff may just really like him too, and they feel more comfortable with Whit at LT than Collins at this point.

It's all subject to change though if collins comes into camp and really impresses, or if livings struggles some.

i don't think that's true. he's big and strong sure but i don't think his feet are quick enough to match the speed rushers off the edge. he could be good against the 3-4 ends but i wouldn't want him to have to match up against the demarcus ware's of the world. collins is the closest thing to a true left tackle we have.

i don't think that's true. he's big and strong sure but i don't think his feet are quick enough to match the speed rushers off the edge. he could be good against the 3-4 ends but i wouldn't want him to have to match up against the demarcus ware's of the world. collins is the closest thing to a true left tackle we have.

Bulls**t bro! Did you watch Whitworth's rookie season. Whitworth was Levi's problem. He was better than Levi and Levi couldn't handle the compitition. It just so worked out that our LG went down and Whit had to step up. Whitworth is a better T than a G! \

I'm sure someone here can back me up on this one...

Bulls**t bro! Did you watch Whitworth's rookie season. Whitworth was Levi's problem. He was better than Levi and Levi couldn't handle the compitition. It just so worked out that our LG went down and Whit had to step up. Whitworth is a better T than a G! \

Nope. Sorry. You are wrong.

Per Hobs, the early line in OTAs is Whit - Livings - Cook - Williams - Smith.

FWIW.

For those that are actually, you know, literate....

First look at O-line

GEOFF HOBSON

Updated: 11:40 a.m.

As the Bengals opened their first of 12 organized team activity (OTA) sessions Tuesday, the offensive line was the center of attention.

» Early in practice Andrew Whitworth lined up at left tackle with first-round draft pick Andre Smith at right tackle. Nate Livings (left) and Bobbie Williams (right) manned the guard positions while Kyle Cook was the center.

» In the three wide receiver set, Laveranues Coles and Chris Henry lined up as the two wides with Andre Caldwell in the slot. Chad Ochocinco is not participating in the voluntary session.

» Stretching without their helmets and apparently not taking part in today's session were defensive end Robert Geathers (knee), safety Marvin White (knee), rookie tight end Chase Coffman (foot), and cornerback Simeon Castille (unknown). Also not on the field was Jeremi Johnson. Working at fullback are rookies Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley.

» Any concerns about quarterback Carson Palmer's elbow were dispelled early when Palmer threw an easy 45-yard floater on the money downfield to Henry, who caught it in stride.

I wouldn't rule out adding a Guard off the waiver wire.

On this issue, Collins is a tackle and played very well for us last year. I just don't see letting him ride the pine, when you could put your best 5 linemen in the game simultaneously.

My vote FWIW would be Collins at LT, Whitworth at LG, Cook/Luigs at C, Williams at RG, Smith at RT. That way we have our best linemen on the field together. Whitworth may be a better LT than Collins but Whitworth is a better LG than LT IMHO and Collins is only a Tackle.

I would feel best of all if Smith comes in a wows them at LT. Then everybody could be playing their best position...Smith at LT, Whitworth at LG, Luigs at C (if he is the best of the six), Williams at RG, and Collins at RT, but this only works if Smith is capable of coming in right away and play LT at a very high level which is asking alot from any rookie.

Nope. Sorry. You are wrong.

Would you care to elaborate?

It seems you forgot how nice Whitworth is at LT. Here's a little background for ya....

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Whitworth

NFL (He's listed as a T): http://www.nfl.com/players/andrewwhitworth...le?id=WHI825900

And here ya go just in case you don't feel like doing the research yourself broseph (straight from Bengals.com):

2006 - Made NFL debut on special teams Sept. 10 at Kansas City ... Started at LG in his second game, Sept. 17 vs. Cleveland, as part of a line shuffle that saw LG Eric Steinbach replace injured Levi Jones at LT ... Whitworth helped Bengals pile up 481 yards against Browns, including 145 rushing yards by Rudi Johnson ... Started at LG on Oct. 15 at Tampa Bay, but moved to LT in second half, replacing injured Jones ... Began a 10-game stretch as starting LOT on Oct. 22 vs. Carolina, and aided line effort that produced 101 rushing yards for Johnson ... On Nov. 12 vs. San Diego, helped offense produce season-high 545 yards and career-high 440 yards passing from Carson Palmer, and had a key block on Johnson seven-yard TD run in first quarter ... On Nov. 19 at New Orleans, part of line effort which produced 385 yards, including 111 rushing yards from Johnson, while only allowing one sack ... On Nov. 26 at Cleveland, aided 388-yard net-offense effort, with season-high 37:50 time of possession ... On Dec. 10 vs. Oakland, helped key line performance of no sacks allowed while supporting 117 rushing yards from Johnson, and had a key block on nine-yard Johnson TD run in first quarter ... On Dec. 24 at Denver, played most of first quarter before giving way to Jones at LT ... On Dec. 31 vs. Pittsburgh, entered game at LT after injury to Jones and played most of game.

10 games at LT his rookie year... When he made that lead block for Johnson against San Diego I knew he was going to be special.

He played College as a Left Tackle.

Whitworth is a better LT than a LG, fact. I'm not saying he can't play G, the boy could probably play anywhere, but LT is where it is extra special.

Also not on the field was Jeremi Johnson.

Quick, someone go check McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts before it's to late !!!

Good gogo Pressley & Fui ^_^

he could be good against the 3-4 ends but i wouldn't want him to have to match up against the demarcus ware's of the world. collins is the closest thing to a true left tackle we have.

Um the 34 Defense ends line up against the Guards & the tackles take care of the OLB's if i'm not mistaken.

I would feel best of all if Smith comes in a wows them at LT

I just rather see him wow on the right side because he looks to be the most dominate run blocker we have,So why not play him to his strengths ....

Also not on the field was Jeremi Johnson.

Quick, someone go check McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts before it's to late !!!

Good gogo Pressley & Fui ^_^

he could be good against the 3-4 ends but i wouldn't want him to have to match up against the demarcus ware's of the world. collins is the closest thing to a true left tackle we have.

Um the 34 Defense ends line up against the Guards & the tackles take care of the OLB's if i'm not mistaken.

I would feel best of all if Smith comes in a wows them at LT

I just rather see him wow on the right side because he looks to be the most dominate run blocker we have,So why not play him to his strengths ....

um that was the pont i was making . . . sort of

edit: i still haven't figured out how to only reply to part of a post. any help would be swell

I've been at this site forever and still don't get the multiple quotes in a single response thing that Hair seem to do so nicely.

That and pictures, I'm not the picture posting type...

So as not to completely highjack a thread, the Bengals do in fact look revamped. There....