So whats the deal with the two Washingtons?

Being from Canada i was just wondering whats the difference between Washington, and Washington D.C.? Which was first? why did they name 2 states the same thing? and why is DC not considered one of the continental states?

Im just oblivious to this i looked it up on wikipedia and it didn't really explain the history between why they are the same. I can understand George Washington having two cities named after him but two states? Sir John A McDonald was the first prime minister of Canada and he didn't even get one province lol.

Being from Canada i was just wondering whats the difference between Washington, and Washington D.C.? Which was first? why did they name 2 states the same thing? and why is DC not considered one of the continental states?

Im just oblivious to this i looked it up on wikipedia and it didn't really explain the history between why they are the same. I can understand George Washington having two cities named after him but two states? Sir John A McDonald was the first prime minister of Canada and he didn't even get one province lol.

Washington D.C. is not a state. It's a district. Really... just a city, but it is it's own entity because it isn't in a state. It is neutral. The reason for this was because early in United States history when states carried more power to run themselves without the federal government stepping in, it was thought that the capital existing within a state's borders would be a conflict of interest. This is why it has no elected members in Congress (and thus their license plates say "Taxation without representation."

The commissioners named the city "Washington" after George Washingon... but they also had to name the ten mile square the city was in, mandated by the Constitution, in which in 1791 there were already two existing towns, Georgetown and Alexandria. They chose the name "Columbia." Thus Washington D.C. (District of Columbia).

The land that is now Washington State was ceded to the United States from Great Britain in the Oregon Boundary Dispute. This property was originally known as the the "Oregon Territory" and because of conflicts with native Americans the "Washington Territory" was created. Washington didn't become a state until 1889, 99 years after Washington D.C. was named the nation's capital.

If memory serves correctly, Washington State was actually named after a different George Washington... a black pioneer (also known as George Washington Bush) who had a caucasian wife and went to the Oregon territory hoping to find a place where he could feel equal. I could be wrong on that last part though... as the naming of the state of Washington hasn't come up all that often in my research (I am a Social Studies teacher).

I will say though that for years I was confused by all of this... growing up thinking that the Washington Redskins played on the West Coast.

Actually, I'm not gonna hi-jack you AB, but will point out for Jungle D that his original premise of the oddity of two states being named the same isn't entirely correct.

You do, in fact, have two Dakotas, Carolinas and Virginias, differentiated brilliantly enough, by geographical placement.

The one that has always buffaloed me, however, is the fact we have a state named entirely after a foreign country (New Mexico). Not to mention you have a state named after a foreign city (New York), and a state named after an article of clothing (New Jersey, with no explanation as to where the Old Jersey may be).

When you throw in the confusion as to what to call those from Delaware (Delawarians or Delawarites???)....

Oh, crap. I DID hi-jack the thread, didn't I?

Sorry

:rolleyes:

Washington D.C. is not a state. It's a district. Really... just a city, but it is it's own entity because it isn't in a state. It is neutral. The reason for this was because early in United States history when states carried more power to run themselves without the federal government stepping in, it was thought that the capital existing within a state's borders would be a conflict of interest. This is why it has no elected members in Congress (and thus their license plates say "Taxation without representation."

The commissioners named the city "Washington" after George Washingon... but they also had to name the ten mile square the city was in, mandated by the Constitution, in which in 1791 there were already two existing towns, Georgetown and Alexandria. They chose the name "Columbia." Thus Washington D.C. (District of Columbia).

The land that is now Washington State was ceded to the United States from Great Britain in the Oregon Boundary Dispute. This property was originally known as the the "Oregon Territory" and because of conflicts with native Americans the "Washington Territory" was created. Washington didn't become a state until 1889, 99 years after Washington D.C. was named the nation's capital.

If memory serves correctly, Washington State was actually named after a different George Washington... a black pioneer (also known as George Washington Bush) who had a caucasian wife and went to the Oregon territory hoping to find a place where he could feel equal. I could be wrong on that last part though... as the naming of the state of Washington hasn't come up all that often in my research (I am a Social Studies teacher).

I will say though that for years I was confused by all of this... growing up thinking that the Washington Redskins played on the West Coast.

Thank you this pretty much clears it up. I was just really curious and thought this was the best place to ask ^_^