5 Bengals Cut

mgilgris

Charlie Casserly said one of the most interesting things I heard during the entire draft when he lumped ORT with positions like P and PK, saying....."those are positions you don't need more than one of on your roster."

Not joking. He claimed most teams primary backup at RT will always be a backup OLT or OG rather than carrying another player on your roster who is a limited power player like a true ORT.

Just saying.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A George Foster signing could still be in play. The Bengals definitely need to sign an insurance policy, if the plan is to release Levi.

I think we need another RB, too. Who is the starter if Ced goes down or is ineffective? I think we'll be waiver-wire scouring as normal in August and New England, Jacksonville, NY Giants and Carolina seem to have ample RBs.

No, I am not scared. Why are you? Grow a pair.

Collins and Smith can actually block people. Just saying.

Are you serious? How can you be such a cocky bastard about an O-line that will consist of either a rookie center or second year one that has never started an NFL game? If that isn't enough, you have a rookie with questions about his work ethic starting at one tackle, and a second year 4th round pick at the other tackle.

Grow a pair eh? Well maybe you need to start thinking with the brain on your shoulders and not with the one above your nuts.

Because the one last year? The one with vets? It got Carson broken. Literally. Because they couldn't block people.

So, no, I don't care that they are young. I care that they can block people. Which they can. Watch and see.

I get so tired of the sniveling complaining on this site. God forbid they actually get better on the line. You want them older. I want them better. I am happy that my approach will be tried. Yours failed.

Charlie Casserly said one of the most interesting things I heard during the entire draft when he lumped ORT with positions like P and PK, saying....."those are positions you don't need more than one of on your roster."

Not joking. He claimed most teams primary backup at RT will always be a backup OLT or OG rather than carrying another player on your roster who is a limited power player like a true ORT.

Just saying.....

hence the value of a Kooistra (as back-up) or Whit (as starter).

I do like Roland.

This also make the Luigs pick that much more valuable as well.

Just saying.....

Ya not only that but part of the praise when we drafted whitworth was he could play any spot besdies center...so say Andre goes down kick him to RT Livings @ LG who played solid

The Bengals have waived HB Chris Perry, DE Eric Henderson.........

Thankfully, on a message board far far away....DontPushMe commits ritual suicide. Moments later his even less intelligent cousin WretchedMass follows him into the afterlife by leaping off of the nearest high ledge.

I hereby raise an imaginary glass to toast their memory and to give thanks for the blessed silence that follows.

:lol:

:lol: Too bad Pushy ain't around to help me celebrate Chrissy finally getting kicked to the curb. I feel somewhat vindicated about the absolute s**t fit I threw here back in 2004 when his name was announced as the Bengals first round pick. B)

Good good. If you're good enough, you're old enough. I feel more confident about our O-line than I did this time last yr. s**t, put a bag of sand in Guycheck's spot and we'll have improved. Collins, Whit, Smith, Kooistra and Roland as OT options. Whit will prove so valuable in his flexibility across the line and his wise head on youngish shoulders.

Smith - Whit - Luigs - Williams - Collins. Just look at it. So much better. Throw in a FB, whether it be Hong Kong Fui or a newly motivated Jeremi, to help pass protect and not just some poor bastard TE thrown in at the deep end. Take the pressure of Carson by asking him to throw about 10 time less each game with a run game. Get Benson's average up by half a yard or so by actually blocking some frigging defenders and let him bowl his way through the gaps.

Not to mention the hopeful improvements in our D.

We might just start playing some football round these here parts again.

No, I am not scared. Why are you? Grow a pair.

Collins and Smith can actually block people. Just saying.

Are you serious? How can you be such a cocky bastard about an O-line that will consist of either a rookie center or second year one that has never started an NFL game? If that isn't enough, you have a rookie with questions about his work ethic starting at one tackle, and a second year 4th round pick at the other tackle.

Grow a pair eh? Well maybe you need to start thinking with the brain on your shoulders and not with the one above your nuts.

Because the one last year? The one with vets? It got Carson broken. Literally. Because they couldn't block people.

So, no, I don't care that they are young. I care that they can block people. Which they can. Watch and see.

I get so tired of the sniveling complaining on this site. God forbid they actually get better on the line. You want them older. I want them better. I am happy that my approach will be tried. Yours failed.

I don't see how in the hell you can get any 'complaining or sniveling' from simply saying that I don't have great confidence in the O-line this year with such young starters.

This isn't a video game where everything is based off projected numbers. The NFL is real where things like experience do come into play, and these are two very important positions we are talking about. Not only are they not used to the speed of the NFL game, they have to learn a brand new playbook, all the new terminology, and all the nuances of their fellow teammates.

Failure is blind homerism when trying to discuss real football knowledge in a message forum. You sir, fall into that win/lose situation...you definitely win at being a homer, but you lose at knowing what the hell you are talking about.

I don't see how in the hell you can get any 'complaining or sniveling' from simply saying that I don't have great confidence in the O-line this year with such young starters.

This isn't a video game where everything is based off projected numbers. The NFL is real where things like experience do come into play, and these are two very important positions we are talking about. Not only are they not used to the speed of the NFL game, they have to learn a brand new playbook, all the new terminology, and all the nuances of their fellow teammates.

Failure is blind homerism when trying to discuss real football knowledge in a message forum. You sir, fall into that win/lose situation...you definitely win at being a homer, but you lose at knowing what the hell you are talking about.

I think mem is coming from, and my apologies mem if I'm off base, the knowledge that our O-line sucked last yr. Flat out sucked. Who could see that happening huh, what with little quality FA activity and yrs of ignoring the O-line in the draft?

These guys may stink this yr too. But hell, at least they have potential now. They might just be better even. Considering the old farts on the line and their lack of production, I see reason to be optimistic. Personally speaking, I wasn't expecting much this yr even with a good draft. Still, respectability might not be out of the question now.

Playoffs and SBs can wait for a while. Now we some sort of foundation to build on and not just a motley crew of oddballs, skidmarks and injured vets to make do and mend week by week.

What would you rather have done? Stick with last yr's line?

These guys may stink this yr too. But hell, at least they have potential now. They might just be better even. Considering the old farts on the line and their lack of production, I see reason to be optimistic.

In regards to OLT I'd settle for anyone who isnt a walking cripple. For example: I thought the play at that position was upgraded in Collins very first start simply because he wasn't constantly diving and lunging like a broken down Levi Jones. And while Collins may or may not ever be as good as Jones was in his prime he was immediately better than what Jones had been reduced to.

well I wish Perry luck if he does happen to get another chance, and if not, I wish him health going forward. I won't miss any of the other four.

Levi is about to be gone as well. Another casualty to injuries that have plagued us over the past few years. Such a shame so much talent has gone to waste. I wish him well once he gets traded or cut.

These guys may stink this yr too. But hell, at least they have potential now. They might just be better even. Considering the old farts on the line and their lack of production, I see reason to be optimistic.

In regards to OLT I'd settle for anyone who isnt a walking cripple. For example: I thought the play at that position was upgraded in Collins very first start simply because he wasn't constantly diving and lunging like a broken down Levi Jones. And while Collins may or may not ever be as good as Jones was in his prime he was immediately better than what Jones had been reduced to.

Indeed. I expect the same to true of the center position too. It can't be any worse. It just can't be.

I think mem is coming from, and my apologies mem if I'm off base, the knowledge that our O-line sucked last yr. Flat out sucked. Who could see that happening huh, what with little quality FA activity and yrs of ignoring the O-line in the draft?

These guys may stink this yr too. But hell, at least they have potential now. They might just be better even. Considering the old farts on the line and their lack of production, I see reason to be optimistic. Personally speaking, I wasn't expecting much this yr even with a good draft. Still, respectability might not be out of the question now.

Playoffs and SBs can wait for a while. Now we some sort of foundation to build on and not just a motley crew of oddballs, skidmarks and injured vets to make do and mend week by week.

Yes. Thanks Pidge.

He wouldn't, I suspect. But it's damn easy to be a sniveling complainer, so when the Bengals DO get something done, you still get to posture oneself as a negative sumbitch who likes to scream "I told you so" and scream "homer" at people, regardless of their extensive 5-year posting history. Sportees, you are being a wuss. And sniveling. Not sure which is worse. Is anyone "scared" about players of genuine ability coming onto this team? No. They are each three year starters in the SEC. The C is an academic all-american on top of being an All-SEC performer. Smith is a genuine T prodigy, and built like a cement s**t-house. They can block. Now. Their skill-set and health offsets experience concerns. Except to you. Who apparently wants to watch Levi limp around and Ghuicac get blown up and Carson bloodied, but feels okay about that because they have experience...

Indeed.

Yes. Thanks Pidge.

He wouldn't, I suspect. But it's damn easy to be a sniveling complainer, so when the Bengals DO get something done, you still get to posture oneself as a negative sumbitch who likes to scream "I told you so" and scream "homer" at people, regardless of their extensive 5-year posting history. Sportees, you are being a wuss. And sniveling. Not sure which is worse. Is anyone "scared" about players of genuine ability coming onto this team? No. They are each three year starters in the SEC. The C is an academic all-american on top of being an All-SEC performer. Smith is a genuine T prodigy, and built like a cement s**t-house. They can block. Now. Their skill-set and health offsets experience concerns. Except to you. Who apparently wants to watch Levi limp around and Ghuicac get blown up and Carson bloodied, but feels okay about that because they have experience...

First off I don't see how you can say I am complaining about drafting Smith and Luigs. And at no point did I say that last years line would be better than this years line. I simply said that it scares me a bit that so many young guys will be starting on the line that is going to be so crucial for the season.

So you have seen Levi lately? You have seen him limping around? From everything I have read by people that have actually seen him, is that he is the healthiest he has been in years. Secondly, I have been one of the biggest Ghiacic haters on this board. He is pathetic and only made the team because he came from the same college as the O-line coach.

Lastly I have to point out one glaring thing, you actually went so far as to access your football knowledge by the length of time posting on a message board? You are a hot headed homer who I have no respect for whatsoever. I have seen you attack people like this more than enough times for me to make that statement. It is one thing to have a back and forth jab fest with Hair who simple takes a person's shortcomings and grinds them over and over, but with you, it's just arrogance, ignorance, and homerism. In short, you sir, fail.

Yes. Thanks Pidge.

First off I don't see how you can say I am complaining about drafting Smith and Luigs. And at no point did I say that last years line would be better than this years line. I simply said that it scares me a bit that so many young guys will be starting on the line that is going to be so crucial for the season.

So you have seen Levi lately? You have seen him limping around? From everything I have read by people that have actually seen him, is that he is the healthiest he has been in years. Secondly, I have been one of the biggest Ghiacic haters on this board. He is pathetic and only made the team because he came from the same college as the O-line coach.

Lastly I have to point out one glaring thing, you actually went so far as to access your football knowledge by the length of time posting on a message board? You are a hot headed homer who I have no respect for whatsoever. I have seen you attack people like this more than enough times for me to make that statement. It is one thing to have a back and forth jab fest with Hair who simple takes a person's shortcomings and grinds them over and over, but with you, it's just arrogance, ignorance, and homerism. In short, you sir, fail.

Alright, let's not let this degenerate into a personality clash. Get it back in line and civil or I shut this puppy down.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Hey, he called me a "homer", greg. I referenced the five-year posting history in reference to that, not my acumen. But he is too f**kawful stupid to read and comprehend, I suppose. I will type slower for him.

Sportees. Before you say "homer", why don't you check my posts. In five years here, I have had a LOT of opinions, and don't think the slur "homer" fits. I also think you are a sniveling whiner who would have whined regardless what the bengals did.

I also think you are a sniveling whiner who would have whined regardless what the bengals did.

:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't complain about a single pick, and in fact still haven't complained about what they have done except to point out that I am not confident in a youth movement being the solution THIS year. I have been here 3 years so what? And in those 3 years I have seen you jump off the handle in this same fashion more times than TJ has referred to Hair as 'sweetie,' with almost everytime being unjust and unwarranted. You started this whole thing right from the get go when you took my statement and made a personal attack towards me, which seems to be your MMO.

Your biggest argument for success this year from the Bengals new look line is the success these players had in college...well either you just got off the boat or you haven't been paying much attention over the years. When it comes to the NFL nothing matters that happened in college, it only maters what you do on the field now. There are only a few things that are certain, sure these guys have talents, and yes they are athletes, but how this will translate to the NFL game is yet to be seen. I am, and always have been on the side of easing talent into the pro game and not putting your season on the line with a bunch of rookies. Do I expect rookies to contribute? Sure I do, but I don't like the idea of having your Franchise QB's blind side protected by a rookie and then having the other tackle be a second year guy that only started half of the season. I also don't like combing all that with the anchor of your line that makes all the adjustments, be a guy that has never taken an NFL snap. Can these guys succeed? Sure they can. Do I hope they succeed? Sure I do. But to blindly say that they are going to be great because of what they did in college, yeah that is homerism.

Hope and Believe are two totally different concepts.

Show me where I said they would be "great" by week 1. In fact, show me where I said they would be "great". I opined that I was glad the bengals had employed a few large gentlemen who could actually block other large gentlemen. And you can dismiss their collegiate track record if you want, I suppose, but I can tell you, from living down this way, that achieving success in the SEC is as good an indication for potential NFL success as you can find at this point. Smith and Luigs have been through enough games against NFL caliber opponents that plenty of film is out there to allow one to draw a few conclusions.

Here are the facts:

1. The line last year couldn't block s**te.

That's it. That's the departure point. We start from that. So, what are the options?

1. Sign free agents. I would have preferred that for the C position, and believe I said as much.

2. Build through the draft. I preferred this for the T position. I can't advocate the bengals trying to address such an important position through FA for two reasons, (1) I am not sure the guys on the market were good enough, and (2) even if they were, the Bengals were likley not going to win any bidding wars.

So, given that, am I happy with where the Bengals are now versus where they were in December? Yes. Luigs may be raw, but he is smart as hell, and seems a decent bet to pick things up quickly. Quick enough to start game 1? Perhaps not. Which is why I wanted a vet C in free agency. Failing that, if it is between Santucci and Luigs, I am guessing I will be rooting for Luigs to get up to speed quickly. As for Smith, he is a massive talent (pun intended). Absolutley envelops defenders at the point of attack. And tackles have historically stepped in and been assets right from the get go. I don't think it remotely a stretch to expect that from a guy that may be the best player in the draft. Scared? I am not. Will it be a seamless transition? No, but that will have as much to do with new guys getting used to each other as youth. And by week four, I am guessing we will be crowing over how good they are blocking.

I just don't get the second-guessing here. Levi re-defined uninterested, injured, and generally useless last year. I am getting awfully tired of this team hitcing its wagon to uninterested, injured and generally useless players. Damn tired. What would "scare" me? Counting on Levi being anything other than uninterested, injured, and generally useless. So, youth be damned, I can clear-eyed, with no homer tendencies, tell you that this team is markedly better in the trenches than it was five days ago and it makes me pleased.