1st Round: Andre Smith

ArmyBengal

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe that they would even consider using a 1st rnd pick on a RT they, are a dime a dozen.

If I wanted a RT I would have traded down and drafted Phil Loadholt,who is the best RT in the draft.

Correction: The guy you'd draft as a RT is a dime a dozen and will never be more than that. Ever. Meanwhile, Andre Smith could immediately step into the RT spot and make everyone forget Willie Anderson ever played a down. And yeah, that's exactly what they hope they do.

That said, I'm a little bit worried about Smith's paycheck being the deciding factor.

ok, having read this thread so far...I am fine with the Smith pick. Guy can simply play.

Throw a TE on his right and that side of the field will be flattened. Think of it this way; is there any reason to think with Williams and Smith on the right, and Benson running the ball, they won't pck up at least 5 ypc?

For passing downs, chip the RB as back-up and he will be just fine.

Let's not make more out of this than it is...He is a very good RT. It does mean we can look at Collins and Whit on the left side....

Now, we really need a C!

Very content. The Bengals clearly did their due diligence on him, listening to the press conferences afterwards, and spent a LOT of time with him. He apparently really likes to play football, talk football, etc. Smith gets it. I am not looking for a guy to win shirtless contests, I am looking for a guy who can block. I think they can put him at RT and forget about it for a decade, with some of those years being pro bowls. If they put him at LT, I think he can handle it too. I think Smith was as talented and high upside a prospect as existed in this draft. No brainer pick, and I am glad they got it right.

I think the first time I mentioned Smith on this board was back in October. Some dickhead told me he sucked. Off to find that thread and figure out who I want to make fun of...

I cant figure out why everyone is so mad about this pick, did you ever watch the games he played did you watch the films that came out about this guy, he is a beast that can pancake even the DE in the league. Sure Monroe is on the board, but theres a guy with leg problems, and with the crappy training staff we have here, Monroe would never play. Give me the big beast over Monroe anyday, if comes in here ready to play look out for all the pancakes on the field. I for one am excited, and anybody who isnt should really watch some of the games he played.

Still with the bra sized comments and "tons" of character flaws. By tons, I mean one bad decision...

As for Monroe being the best OT in the draft, that was a gift given to both him and Jason Smith when Andre made the poor decision at the Combine, but had nothing to do with how they played the game. Keep hating !!!

typical bengals first rd. gaffe.

smith is a fat @ss with a a bra size that makes morganna jealous. monroe was the more solid pick at that point.

he'll spend a year or two as a turnstyle at LT before they move to G.

we essentially picked an overwieght, immature guard with the sixth pick of the draft.

hell, if you didn't like monroe at that pick you may as well took crabtree instead of some buffet wrecking, bust-in-waiting.

I continue to feel bad for carson palmer for being selected by mike brown.

get your season tix today, suckers...

oh, sorry homers.

by all means, gimme the award. I don't care. actually I'd love to be proved wrong by andre. I've loved this team longer than most of you have been alive. I hope I'm wrong. I suspect I'm not.

RT, LT, whatever. it was a bad pick. he has displayed legendary stupidy. you should not pick risk if you are in the shape this team is in. we don't have the leaders in the locker room and in the front office to turn a sloppy, immature,

child into a hard working professional.

you don't roll the dice on someone who has proven to be an idiot when it comes to protecting carson palmer. anyone who doesn't think this is a major roll of the dice hasn't been paying attention.

I can't see how anyone could be happy with this pick... but then again, alot of you continue to fork over your money

to mike brown.

C'mon JJ, you'll have to better than the above if you're trying to win the award for the dumbest thing said today.

I'm ready to give him the award right now! :rolleyes:

Hey, jjvolt:

I am not familiar with you work, but it is amusing me.

He displayed legendary stupidy? That is hilarious on a lot of different levels. Thanks for your brand of genius. I am dumber for reading you.

I'm guessing Smith goes to RT and they let Collins/Levi compete for the LT job going into the season.

I'm not sure why they think Whit is such a good G, but whatever.

I don't understand your beef with Whitworth. If there's anything that eases my concerns about lining up Smith on the left side it's the idea of teaming him with Whitworth. Whit's practically a coach on the field and he's got a mean streak as wide as his back. In other words a perfect mentor.

I have to tell you that after I whatch a game I go back and break it down to see who missed their assignments, why a play didnt work, ect.

And Whitworth was horrid and he caused alot of sacks(some times indirectly) and offensive miscues by blowing his assignments.

I think that part of his problem is that he is best suited to RT or back up LT , I think that he has looked better as a T than he has ever looked at G.

A couple of years ago the draft was deep in T's and I wanted us to take Marcus McNeal and if he wasnt there to take Whithworh so I realy liked his play in colleage but , I just dont know if he is a G.

If you ever go down to camp he is one of the coolest guys there -he damn near wants to sign autographs for you.

Hey, jjvolt:

I am not familiar with you work, but it is amusing me.

He displayed legendary stupidy? That is hilarious on a lot of different levels. Thanks for your brand of genius. I am dumber for reading you.

he got in trouble for talking to an agent while still in college. then, he failed to take one to the combine and had no guidance, obviously.

he appearently forgot to workout and stay in, at least, respectable shape, in the transition from college to the pro workouts.

he ran a 40 yd. dash with his shirt off displaying his pendulous man-boobs. it was gross.

what will he do with a loaded bank account, in a shaky organization, in a town full of goldstar and skyline chilli franchises?

has anyone payed any attention to the last few months or have they just flicked on espn and watched a couple of hi-lites?

makes sense the bengals would pick a player with the most character flaws in the draft. sorry i want o-line help but not this guy.

Have you seen some of the red flags of the other guys lol? The guy left the combine early that's the sum of his character flaws....Wow

let see the guys got suspended for the biggest game of his college career, was out of shape when he showed up for the draft , in which he blew off like it was no big deal. had a terrible proday, a joke in most peoples eyes, did not even compare to any of the top 10 tackles when he was worked out. this guy did nothing to prepare for the draft or his proday. so if he can't get up for that, you think he will give a damn in the future? i see a fat lazy person only looking for a payday and i question if he really cares about football.

jj, I know the litany of his sins.

I am enjoying your spelling of "stupidy". It is "stupidy" in its own right.

Smith can block. In the final analysis, he was born to knock other large men to the ground and humiliate them. That's what he does. That's what he will do for Cincinnati. He's potentially the best player in the draft. I refuse to accept that three years of game film and dominance in the SEC, against a variety of future NFL players, are negated by this spring. If you are fine with that, cool. I am just glad you are not running the draft board for an NFL team. Stupidy is as stupidy does.

Still with the bra sized comments and "tons" of character flaws. By tons, I mean one bad decision...

As for Monroe being the best OT in the draft, that was a gift given to both him and Jason Smith when Andre made the poor decision at the Combine, but had nothing to do with how they played the game. Keep hating !!!

one bad decision?

getting horribly out of shape just before your entire fortune depends upon your current physical conditon is one mistake. one BIG mistake.

getting barred from a bowl game for illegal contact with an agent is another mistake.

going to the combine with no agent and with no plan and then walking out is another mistake.

we are not the right team to take players who need leaders to shape them . we need leaders or, at least, players who have some clue as to what is happening to themselves.

Wow lets not pick this guy because he big "man boobs" and obviously you never saw this guy play before, you guys are unreal. Give me a break, how could you not want this guy blocking for you, and you must know this guy uh just coming here for a pay check, when did you talk to him last.

jj, I know the litany of his sins.

I am enjoying your spelling of "stupidy". It is "stupidy" in its own right.

Smith can block. In the final analysis, he was born to knock other large men to the ground and humiliate them. That's what he does. That's what he will do for Cincinnati. He's potentially the best player in the draft. I refuse to accept that three years of game film and dominance in the SEC, against a variety of future NFL players, are negated by this spring. If you are fine with that, cool. I am just glad you are not running the draft board for an NFL team. Stupidy is as stupidy does.

I'm so sorry for I have commited a typo. please forgive me.

Hey I got the guy I have been talking about since forever and I am happy.

I'll tell you guys what though, keep talking about his boobs if you choose and while you are at it, watch the kid play.

He's the best OT in this draft and was rated the top player in the draft for better than 4 months straight for a reason.

Bottomline is all his poor decisions surrounded the Combine, but if you want to be upset with his contact with an agent, whatever.

Maybe you want to be upset due to some other stupid thing that shouldn't be an issue whatsoever to begin with.

he was good in college, so was ryan leaf, akilli smith, lawernce phillips, todd marinovich and a host of other shady characters.

I hope I'm wrong, but in 2 or 3 years we'll be talking about him as a "bust". (no "manboob" pun intended)

If he had stayed in shape, answered every question at the combine, not been suspended for his bowl game, he would have been the top pick in the whole draft.

Thank your lucky stars he hits some bumps before the draft and FALLS to us at 6....It is like getting a Ferrari on discount becasue it had a door ding...still is a Ferrari!

You can get him straightened out and he will be one of the best OT's in the NFL in 2 years...but you cannot make the other OT's in this draft as good as Smith, no matter how good the decisions they make are..

I am thinking you will be wrong and he will be a pro bowl T in a year or two. He is just a flat out stud.

As for the examples you cite, Leaf was a dunce, SMith was a one-year-wonder, Philips was a criminal and Marinovich was a drug addict....Mr. Smith's issues do not rise to the level of any of those.

Hey I got the guy I have been talking about since forever and I am happy.

I'll tell you guys what though, keep talking about his boobs if you choose and while you are at it, watch the kid play.

He's the best OT in this draft and was rated the top player in the draft for better than 4 months straight for a reason.

Bottomline is all his poor decisions surrounded the Combine, but if you want to be upset with his contact with an agent, whatever.

Maybe you want to be upset due to some other stupid thing that shouldn't be an issue whatsoever to begin with.

I want solid players that have learned that pro athletes must take care of their bodies. I can't see that fat @ss

taking on speed rushers in the nfl unless the bengals can magically go out of character and whip him into a professional instead of a paycheck receptacle.

we shall see.

he was good in college, so was ryan leaf, akilli smith, lawernce phillips, todd marinovich and a host of other shady characters.

I hope I'm wrong, but in 2 or 3 years we'll be talking about him as a "bust". (no "manboob" pun intended)

If he had stayed in shape, answered every question at the combine, not been suspended for his bowl game, he would have been the top pick in the whole draft.

Thank your lucky stars he hits some bumps before the draft and FALLS to us at 6....It is like getting a Ferrari on discount becasue it had a door ding...still is a Ferrari!

You can get him straightened out and he will be one of the best OT's in the NFL in 2 years...but you cannot make the other OT's in this draft as good as Smith, no matter how good the decisions they make are..

I am thinking you will be wrong and he will be a pro bowl T in a year or two. He is just a flat out stud.

As for the examples you cite, Leaf was a dunce, SMith was a one-year-wonder, Philips was a criminal and Marinovich was a drug addict....Mr. Smith's issues do not rise to the level of any of those.

all those problems with the others players I mentioned boil down to one thing. STUPIDITY.

drugs, crime, laziness... choose your poison.

this is not college ball. you must play with mental prowess as well as physical.

bad pick, BAD pick.

choose your poison

Have you ever seen a lineman's body ?? They are all a bunch of fatass dudes.

Andre Smith has always been noted as having the quickest feet of all OT's in the draft even after his poor Combine effort.

Get over yourself already...

his playing wieght was billed in college at 340.

he came to the COMBINE 40-50 lbs. overwieght.

do the math, that would be nearly 400 lbs.

he has the quickest fork in the buffet line.

unreal.

Have you ever seen a lineman's body ?? They are all a bunch of fatass dudes.

Andre Smith has always been noted as having the quickest feet of all OT's in the draft even after his poor Combine effort.

Get over yourself already...

his playing wieght was billed in college at 340.

he came to the COMBINE 40-50 lbs. overwieght.

do the math, that would be nearly 400 lbs.

he has the quickest fork in the buffet line.

unreal.

So go back and check his weight at the combine and what his current weight is as well.

Are you making this sh*t up ??

The only thing unreal is that you apparently never watched this kid play but have a negative opinion of him...