Barwin ran a 4.47 @ UC Pro Day Today

Since when does a QB drop back 40 yards for a pass. I don't care about 40 times with DE/OLB

Thats the distance that they time speed at. His speed would most likely be the same at a distance of 15-20 yards in terms of "time". That all dictates how quickly a LB can get to the ball carrier, the QB or drop back and play in coverage. Speed is important.

The first 10 yards are important. Carson wont be dropping back 40 yards any time soon(I HOPE NOT). That is why Tom Coughlin only times his defensive lineman and LB's for the first ten yards. The 40 yard dash doesn't really tell you anything.

All of those drills that players run are only used to gauge the overall athleticism of players.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I know but I am tired of players like that just getting love for their 40 time. Look at tape and see if they can play. Look at that 10 yard burst and see how quick they can be off the snap. That is key, you jump off the snap. The faster you are at that, the faster you'll be in the backfield.

Like I said Terrell Suggs ran a horrible 40 but had a quick burst. I think he turned out preetty well.

I know but I am tired of players like that just getting love for their 40 time. Look at tape and see if they can play. Look at that 10 yard burst and see how quick they can be off the snap. That is key, you jump off the snap. The faster you are at that, the faster you'll be in the backfield.

Like I said Terrell Suggs ran a horrible 40 but had a quick burst. I think he turned out preetty well.

I understand your point, but the faster 40 times will also help compensate for mistakes made on the field, in terms of recovery. All players make mistakes, can run past plays, or read the offense wrong, that speed though, helps to make up for any small mistakes........but then again, so does hustle.

I wouldn't bother trying to explain the value of speed to an utter dumbass like WCA.

He's denied the value of speed in football for as long as I can remember, and he's so entrenched in his fantasy world where speed doesn't matter that he's never gonna change his mind, much less admit to being wrong about this. The NFL is just wasting athlete's time, having them all run and evaluating them based on their running.

I mean, there's no running in football, right? C'mon.

His times for the 3 cone and shuttle were also best in the combine, only LBer that was better than him in the shuttle is Freeman from OSU and only LBer that was better in the 3 cone was Cushing (by 3 hundredths of a second) Dude is fast and quick, freakishly athletic for his size. 40.5" Vert, and 10' 8" Broad is just amazing for a person of Barwin's size.

He would be a great pick in the 2nd but I am worried thatwe may have bigger issues to address.

His times for the 3 cone and shuttle were also best in the combine, only LBer that was better than him in the shuttle is Freeman from OSU and only LBer that was better in the 3 cone was Cushing (by 3 hundredths of a second) Dude is fast and quick, freakishly athletic for his size. 40.5" Vert, and 10' 8" Broad is just amazing for a person of Barwin's size.

He would be a great pick in the 2nd but I am worried thatwe may have bigger issues to address.

I hate to gush about the guy but he's smart too - very committed and hard working, no BS.

One thing I didn't mention to WCA above is that he's got more experience as a TE and yes the 40" time matters for that position even more so.

When you look at what Celek and Cole are doing in Philly, you can't let another guy like that get away that's in your backyard.

But apparently the entire league is on to him now and who knows where he'll get drafted. His combine and workout has made him millions alone though I'm guessing.

I haven't bothered looking for them but players at the combine are electronically timed at ten, twenty, and forty yard intervals. Thus, the beepity, beepity, beep you hear when they run.

For whatever it might be worth, the fastest split times ever recorded by a Bengal were posted by....(gasp)....Curtis Keaton.

I wouldn't bother trying to explain the value of speed to an utter dumbass like WCA.

He's denied the value of speed in football for as long as I can remember, and he's so entrenched in his fantasy world where speed doesn't matter that he's never gonna change his mind, much less admit to being wrong about this. The NFL is just wasting athlete's time, having them all run and evaluating them based on their running.

I mean, there's no running in football, right? C'mon.

No, I just don't sit here and masturbate over 40 times like you do. And I actually played football on the collegiate level, Defensive End. I know more about on field speed and track speed than you ever will. I have played. All you have ever done is sit in front of a computer and act like you know s**t but you dont. So go get your bottle of hand lotion go watch vids of dudes running the 40.

A Good Workout is not the end all be all of draft evaluation it is not even the fourth or fifth most important thing about draft evaluation but the kid has skills and has put them to good use on both sides of the ball. 11 sacks in a BCS conference is nothing to sneeze at particularly since it was his first time playing the position.

Well, I guess that is all in what they determine is his best position. If FOR ANY REASON the Bengals view him a the pass rush guy they could use at either DE or OLB, he would be a GREAT pick to grab in the 2nd. Especially if they took OT in the first. They could then go Center in the third along with a RB and get Brinkley in the 4th. Happy Happy by me...

If they view him as a Tight End and nothing more, pass...

Well, I guess that is all in what they determine is his best position. If FOR ANY REASON the Bengals view him a the pass rush guy they could use at either DE or OLB, he would be a GREAT pick to grab in the 2nd. Especially if they took OT in the first. They could then go Center in the third along with a RB and get Brinkley in the 4th. Happy Happy by me...

If they view him as a Tight End and nothing more, pass...

Yeah, the Bengals had the first crack at him at the Senior Bowl and practiced/played him very minimally at DE. They obviously feel his best position is TE, or maybe it is they are so looking at a game-breaking TE that they wanted to see how he stands at the position. It's easy to assume he'll be a LB/DE on most teams.

Based on what I mentioned above, I don't see the Bengals making a play for him.

Like I said, QB's don't drop back 40 yards for a pass. It is all about the 10 yard burst(which I am sure he was fast). I don't know why we don't see those times more and more. Terrell Suggs had a horrible 40 time, but had a quick burst and that is all that matters for OLB/DE's

Whur Math At?

how wide is an NFL football field?

I guess you do not consider it important for your DE/LB's to have pursuit speed.

From what it looks of Barwin, he has all the tools. 40 is just one measure. Take it for what it speaks to... ability to run flat out and sustain long enough to cross the field and make a tackle... or, the skills to compete on STs, up and down the field.