Palmer Intrigued By Simpson's Progress

Esiason#7

yeah well isn't WR like the second-hardest position (behind QB) when it comes to the difficulty of making the transition from college to pros? i think it's too early to judge these guys just now.

Exactly. If Simpson isn't doing a fair bit of damage in the 2010 season then it's time wheel out the the BUST/NOT BUST banners. There's no guarantee Crabtree will do much in his first yr anyway.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/sand...cb-b14ce475fcda

I don't want to sound overly critical here but there are portions of this story that cause me concern:

Palmer...."They've given up a lot of their offseason and been away from their families to get better."

huh?

oh lord....not....ther off-season?!?

I do acknowledge that I am pleased that both Caldwell and Simpson are working hard at this time of year. In the NFL, there may be times when you cycle through periods of less intensive training but what is Palmer talking about? Are these men not professionals? Especially for a guy like Simpson...he needs to work his AZZ off...

I am puzzled by this portion of a quote, especially for a guy who was inactive for 8 games..."We didn't do the routes right away because we hadn't run any since the end of the season."

again...huh? hadn't run ANY? i am puzzled....

Yes, the phenom camp is a good step however if I was Simpson, running would be a big priority. Just who is advising them on training habits?

Man, I am glad we have Coles.

So because it's March, you search harder to find something to bitch about? Turning good news into bad? How is Simpson and Caldwell going the extra mile to work on their own and improve a bad thing? Why does everything have to be s**t with you?

I think Simpson is going to be big for the Bengals this year, but that's just my opinion on it.

Where people need to be paying attention is when the coaches come out and say the same thing in regards to a player. That in and of itself is a pretty big indicator and I just can't see where the Bengals would have the thought of taking a WR at #6 or even at all with all the other more pressing needs on this team.

So because it's March, you search harder to find something to bitch about? Turning good news into bad? How is Simpson and Caldwell going the extra mile to work on their own and improve a bad thing? Why does everything have to be s**t with you?

I applaud the fact they are working, shouldn't that be what they are doing anyways? I raised valid question about the comments made. Those, to me, point to a mentality that what they are doing is the exception, not the norm. To me, the work they are putting in should be the norm, not something we should highlight and clap our hands about.

This team has botched the last several years when they had the talent to do more. I point to the comment that they had not run since the end of the season as an indicator that this complacent mentality is still around. the work they are putting in is great. I just wish we knew more about the workout habits of their teammates. That might point to why we have so many injuries, seem so underprepared and why the offense sucked it up last year.

These guys are professionals and their work is year-round in my opinion. You can't be in top form all year but "no running"? Or, we should be impressed with their "sacrifice"? that is crap.

I am glad they are putting the work in and hopefully we wil see results...only then will the mentality change....you know, hard work = results...go figure.

This reminds me of the stories about Jerry Rice and his famed workouts. I also have heard about LT's famed workouts...like when Reggie Bush went for a day and threw up.

At least for Simpson the light seems to have gone on: Talent is not enough and hard work, when everyone else is slacking, is how you improve.

Ask yourself this: Do you think this team works very hard? Even in the offseason? I don't. To me they work just enough to flirt with success.

I raised valid question about the comments made. Those, to me, point to a mentality that what they are doing is the exception, not the norm. To me, the work they are putting in should be the norm, not something we should highlight and clap our hands about.

Agreed.

It's hard to tell just what these guys do and don't do when the season is over or what kind of exercise regiment they follow. These guys are in far better shape than the majority of us that post on this board. Hell, I'm not an NFL quality athlete by any stretch, but I can recall many a days where I would go bouncing into work after bringing my butt in from the club not 2 hours earlier. That would be followed by some pretty intense physical training and I could still run my 2 mile fitness test in under 12:00 without much thought. That was when I was in my early 20's and couldn't dream of that these days.

My point is, these guys ARE superior athletes (for the most part) in their early to mid 20's and there is not much reason to think it would take that long to get into playing shape when it's still 5 months prior to the start of pre-season. I'm happy anybody on this team is doing anything that gets them ready for the start of the season. So sure, I will applaud the efforts of the youngsters who don't have much in the way of veteran leadership trying to improve themselves when there are so many already labeling them as busts...

So you slag on those who are?

And, frankly, I have no idea how hard they work or don't work in the off-season, and neither do you.

I do not think you are reading what I am fully writing.

I have a legitimate level of insight on this topic. I spent 9 years as a professional athlete in a sport that DID require year-round attention to fitness, nutrition, and periodized trainig that went from base-training to extreme intervals and extreme hours. Not tooting my own horn but it does give me greater insight than your average bear. I do not know what the Bengal players are doing but I have some connections in Boras Agency and several other athlete/agent/mgmt level connections (AEG, LA Kings, a couple of PGA tour players, and world-class athletes in several Olympic sports). It does vary, and the hardest workers do not always turn out to be the best but the cost of not working as hard as you can, throughout the year, is so high for ost professional-level athletes, one might as well step up as a pro and just do it. Hence my exasperated surprise.

My fear here, and it can be read between the lines in the story, is that Simpson and Caldwell are the exceptions given the way they are being lauded for their efforts.

I applaud the fact they are working, shouldn't that be what they are doing anyways? I raised valid question about the comments made. Those, to me, point to a mentality that what they are doing is the exception, not the norm. To me, the work they are putting in should be the norm, not something we should highlight and clap our hands about.

I just think you are reading way too much into the comments made. Palmer's comments had nothing to do with offseason conditioning, which as you mentioned is the norm. It has everything to do with working together as a team, even when they don't have to.

Even if you feel this should be the norm, it isn't. And I'm not just talking about the Bengals. Most teams, even the good ones, don't stay together during the offseason running routes. That's why they have the camps throughout the early part of the summer. These camps are not intended to get players into playing shape (as noted every year with Casey Hampton, and the level of disgust that it draws from the Steelers coaching staff). It is about getting into a groove with the team.

The fact that Palmer applauds the effort of these young players is because it is something he consistently lacked with the veteran WR's that he's played with in his career... and the Bengals are not an exception here. Most players go off and do their own conditioning regiment and come back together as a team either for voluntaries or for training camp. Simpson and Caldwell's presence this offseason is above and beyond and should be seen as such. That's all.