Levi being shopped ?

Kazkal

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/ex...s_at_tackl.html

Levi Jones-T- Bengals Mar. 16 - 2:08 pm et

The Bengals are "actively" working to trade LT Levi Jones, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

Jones has knee and back problems, a pricey contract, and turns 30 in 2009. The Bengals also lack a natural left tackle behind him, which will cost them leverage. Former guard Andrew Whitworth would probably start on Carson Palmer's blind side if the season began today.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Related: Bears

Not a shocker...

The offesensive line on this team is such a mess right now and they havnt done anything to fix to this point. I sure hope they decided to address this issue some how. No center right now and tackle postion is not looking so good. Lets hope they decide to do something so Carson has time to throw, and benson can have holes to run though.

A little nugget from Hobson.

"But according to Biggs, people in the league are telling him the Bengals' asking price isn't all that high."

Note: Biggs is the source of the Chicago Sun Times trade rumors.

Former Bears T John Tait was just moved to the Reserve/Retired list and Chris Williams is going to be playing RT next season in his place. The Bears are also looking to replace incumbent LT John St. Clair and many mocks have them selecting an OT at #16 from amongst Britton, Beatty and Oher.

Coincidence??

Give me a second round pick

More like sixth or seventh...

That's probably about right if you figure the Patriots are only going to have to give up a 2nd for Peppers (Sorry to the Chad for a 1st rounder fanatics). The Vikings only had to give up a 4th for Sage Rosenfels, too.

If the Bengals are only able to MAYBE get a 6th or a 5th (at the very best for him), why trade him at all? Further impacting a trade is the fact that the Bengals are stand to only net about 500K in trading him. It'll cost much more than that to sign his replacement, who might not even be a better player. The quandary is that his value will likely diminish even more after the draft, so if a move is to be made, it better be made soon.

"Mike Ditka...Take your entire draft, all 9 picks, and shove 'em. I'll pass on your Dallas Cowboys-type Godfather trade because Akili Smith is the next John Elway."

- Mike Brown

Yeah. The Redskins have built an unprecedented dynasty with those picks that Ditka gave up, huh?

Let's not forget... the Bengals weren't the only ones to turn down that trade. The Eagles and Colts also turned down the Ditka offer. Now... when it comes to building franchises, who would you rather have something in common with? The Eagles and Colts, or the Redskins?

Not saying Brown should have turned down the deal. Anything would have been better than Akili... but let's not call Mike Brown an idiot because of refusing the trade. Let's call him an idiot for falling in love with Akili.

If it was such a Godfathereseque offer, there wouldn't have been 2 other teams to also tell him to "shove 'em."

"Mike Ditka...Take your entire draft, all 9 picks, and shove 'em. I'll pass on your Dallas Cowboys-type Godfather trade because Akili Smith is the next John Elway."

- Mike Brown

Yeah. The Redskins have built an unprecedented dynasty with those picks that Ditka gave up, huh?

Let's not forget... the Bengals weren't the only ones to turn down that trade. The Eagles and Colts also turned down the Ditka offer. Now... when it comes to building franchises, who would you rather have something in common with? The Eagles and Colts, or the Redskins?

Not saying Brown should have turned down the deal. Anything would have been better than Akili... but let's not call Mike Brown an idiot because of refusing the trade. Let's call him an idiot for falling in love with Akili.

If it was such a Godfathereseque offer, there wouldn't have been 2 other teams to also tell him to "shove 'em."

Who knows how that trade would've turned out for the Bengals but Casserly traded all but 3 of those picks to other teams like the Bears and the Broncos. I'm not even really saying that he's an idiot, but if you look at the NFL historically, the Dallas Cowboys dynasty was built on a similar trade that involved Herschel Walker.

- Mike Brown

Who knows how that trade would've turned out for the Bengals but Casserly traded all but 3 of those picks to other teams like the Bears and the Broncos. I'm not even really saying that he's an idiot, but if you look at the NFL historically, the Dallas Cowboys dynasty was built on a similar trade that involved Herschel Walker.

Yes... but if you look at the Cowboys trade, you'll find that they actually traded most of the picks they acquired. They moved up in the draft multiple times to gain quality over quantity. They moved up to get Emmitt Smith... swung and missed in the 2nd round with WR Alexander Wright, and traded more picks to move up in the 3rd round and got DT Jimmie Jones.

All of that to say, the Cowboys achieved greatness not merely because they traded Walker for a bunch of draft picks, but because some of their draft picks turned out to be hall of famers. (and by the way... most of it was not from that '90 draft) Had the Bengals been offered a similar trade in '02, I doubt they could have made their '05 playoff appearance, because so much of that success was built on the greatness of Carson Palmer... a player they would have traded away the rights to.

- Mike Brown

Yes... but if you look at the Cowboys trade, you'll find that they actually traded most of the picks they acquired. They moved up in the draft multiple times to gain quality over quantity. They moved up to get Emmitt Smith... swung and missed in the 2nd round with WR Alexander Wright, and traded more picks to move up in the 3rd round and got DT Jimmie Jones.

All of that to say, the Cowboys achieved greatness not merely because they traded Walker for a bunch of draft picks, but because some of their draft picks turned out to be hall of famers. (and by the way... most of it was not from that '90 draft) Had the Bengals been offered a similar trade in '02, I doubt they could have made their '05 playoff appearance, because so much of that success was built on the greatness of Carson Palmer... a player they would have traded away the rights to.

Good post and rebuttal. I would give you rep points, if I could. Even if we had acquired all of those picks, it's rather doubtful we'd be any better than we are now, it's just further impacted by the fact that Akili was such a colossal bust. What bothers me most is that he, like many others we've drafted high that didn't pan out, had all the makings of a high potential bust before they became a Bengal. Akili ended up setting the Franchise back 5 years.

I guess that's why I would rather have the safe pick in the first round these days. Take your chaces after the 3rd with the high-risk/high-reward guys.

A little nugget from Hobson.

"But according to Biggs, people in the league are telling him the Bengals' asking price isn't all that high."

Note: Biggs is the source of the Chicago Sun Times trade rumors.

i bet the offers are even lower. the bengals will be damn lucky if they get anything for him, kinda like pace teams will wait for him to be released.

So what do you guys think about how the line could possibly look at the start of the season if Levi is gone ??

I could envision this scenario:

Whitworth LT

Collins RT

Rookie LG

Williams RG

Rookie C

If the Bengals actually have a desire to have 2 rookies starting on the line, I could see them preferring it be Center and LG as opposed to Center and LT. This would also allow them to go ahead and take whatever defensive guy in the first and wait until later to take the Guard they want. Just a thought...

I'd rather see Collins at LT and Whitworth at RT

Left to right

Collins - Livings - New C - Williams - Whitworth

I'll say again that I fully believe the new C will be Andrew Crummey if they do not take a C at the top of r2 - if they take one later, he'll be developed for 2010. If on the other hand they get Mack or Wood - i think that's who starts for us at Center this year

So what do you guys think about how the line could possibly look at the start of the season if Levi is gone ??

I could envision this scenario:

Whitworth LT

Collins RT

Rookie LG

Williams RG

Rookie C

If the Bengals actually have a desire to have 2 rookies starting on the line, I could see them preferring it be Center and LG as opposed to Center and LT. This would also allow them to go ahead and take whatever defensive guy in the first and wait until later to take the Guard they want. Just a thought...

Yep, I could live with that except keep collins on the left side.

There are many thoughts of Whitworth not being able to handle LT, but as I was reading from the official site, I'm not sure the organization agrees:

As a footnote, there may be some out there that don't think Whitworth can play left tackle at a high level because of speed rushers. OK, as a rookie he had problems with Dwight Freeney and Elvis Dumervil. You can scheme for those rare times. Fact is, he started 10 games at left tackle in their last season as an offense that scored consistently.

From the official site:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7560

The Bengals' overrate all of their lineman for some reason.

They seem to be ok with average lineman - and it's why they usually have an average or below average team.

And no one should know what exactly "score consistently" means. FG's? Once a quarter? 1 out of every 5 posessions? What does that mean? How many of those were defensive Td's? How does it compare to the rest of the league?

Another superb piece of writing by Hobson - a guy I don't even bother with anymore, just awful fluff from a Bengal PR cronie - no matter how much he wants to deny that he is on the radio.

Well, if I am trying to think about what he meant, I would assume (I know, I know) that by "as an offense" that he probably wasn't thinking about how many of those were defensive TD's. I also don't think he was trying to say anything more than the fact of at the time Whit started at LT the offense was putting points on the board as opposed to recent efforts by this offense that has blown balls.

Just my thoughts...

Yup I'd be more fine with whitworth & collins on outside Livings & williams in the inside then draft center & guard(for future replacement for bobbie)

hey seem to be ok with average lineman - and it's why they usually have an average or below average team.

Steelers have pretty avg - below avg line.