Quarterback Situation

Clackwoods

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always draft BPA. Always.

That worked wonders with Chris Perry didn't it?

I really don't think it was BPA with Chris.

Most mocks in 2004 had him listed as Cincy's BPA at that time. So much for that train of thoughtlessness.

Most mocks in 2004 had him listed as Cincy's BPA at that time. So much for that train of thoughtlessness.

And besides that I think that SJackson was also avaiable at that time...

we haven't been able to run the ball since JJ gained weight. yes we need a better center but we have a HORRIBLE FB right now. FB is by far our biggest weakness if you go by skill level. that is why i say that. If we want to have the running game we had in 05, we need a huge upgrade at FB. that is why i say that. Yes we have many positions that need upgrading badly, but my point is that I hope to god a FB is not forgotten. i could go without upgrading center for 1 more season. I also don't think Benson can carry the load for an entire season on a good team. If he does re-sign, i hope we get someone that can back him up reliably.

I have no doubt that the fullback position needs an upgrade, but like I said, you could upgrade what we have EASILY with an undrafted free agent fullback this draft. EASILY !!! The center position ?? Not so much. If we hold off for another season, who fills that hole THIS season ?? You can't think we'd be better off with Ghiaciuc back in there can you ?? In regards to looking at next year's Center class, I can tell you there isn't one guy at this point that breaks the 300lb mark. NOT what we need in the AFCN. I'll just agree to disagree in that the Center position is a bigger need than fullback...

I was just wondering where you were coming from.

Goodbye TJ. Hello TJ?

:lol:

Free agency update: Rex goes Jungle to Jungle; O'Sullivan visits

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 3, 2009

Updated: 2:15 p.m.

During a Tuesday appearance on the Jim Rome radio show, otherwise known as "The Jungle," Bears quarterback Rex Grossman said he's headed to Cincinnati Thursday for a visit as the Bengals search for a backup quarterback.

The Bengals confirmed Tuesday's visit of another No. 2 candidate with the arrival of 49ers quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan, 29, is coming off his busiest season since the 2002 Saints drafted him in the sixth round out of Cal-Davis. He threw 220 of his 246 career passes and completed 57.3 percent last year for a 73.6 passer rating with eight touchdowns and 11 interceptions in nine games. In 14 career games he's thrown nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

I have no doubt that the fullback position needs an upgrade, but like I said, you could upgrade what we have EASILY with an undrafted free agent fullback this draft. EASILY !!! The center position ?? Not so much. If we hold off for another season, who fills that hole THIS season ?? You can't think we'd be better off with Ghiaciuc back in there can you ?? In regards to looking at next year's Center class, I can tell you there isn't one guy at this point that breaks the 300lb mark. NOT what we need in the AFCN. I'll just agree to disagree in that the Center position is a bigger need than fullback...

I was just wondering where you were coming from.

we need to stop with the projects at FB. look what Lorenzo Neal did for us when we had him. We need a solid guy at the minimum, which is what Kuhn could be (NOT top of the line but very solid) and draft FB in the late rounds or take a undrafted free agent like u said to groom. I do not want guycheck around forever, but I can hold off on getting rid of him for another season IF that means we fill alot of other holes.

Lets just do a compare of those 2 positions for who started for us last season and if we kept it again:

Center - Guycheck

FB - Coats

Now if we ONLY replaced one of the two with a mid-tier player and had to keep the other starting which would make us better off? My opinion is keep guycheck and upgrade the FB spot. Guycheck is more capable at his position than Coats.

Rex Grossman to visit on Thursday.

I've gotta admit I'm curious about Cedric's opinion on this one.

They should go ahead and bring in Curtis Enis, David Terrell and Rashaan Salaam for visits, too. We've already had Bryan Robinson here. Perhaps we could field a team of all recent Chicago Bears busts.

Ron Rivera thinks that Grossman is mentally unflappable. :rolleyes:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/21110

we need to stop with the projects at FB. look what Lorenzo Neal did for us when we had him. We need a solid guy at the minimum, which is what Kuhn could be (NOT top of the line but very solid) and draft FB in the late rounds or take a undrafted free agent like u said to groom. I do not want guycheck around forever, but I can hold off on getting rid of him for another season IF that means we fill alot of other holes.

Lets just do a compare of those 2 positions for who started for us last season and if we kept it again:

Center - Guycheck

FB - Coats

Now if we ONLY replaced one of the two with a mid-tier player and had to keep the other starting which would make us better off? My opinion is keep guycheck and upgrade the FB spot. Guycheck is more capable at his position than Coats.

I don't think the top Fullback in the draft in the 5th round would be that much of a risk in the grand scheme of things. I will give you the thought that if Kuhn is truly that good, then fine. I've just never heard of that guy EVER.

In regards to Ghiaciuc being around for another season ?? I'm sure the AFCN opposing d-lines will be OVERJOYED !!!

They owned his ass ALL SEASON LONG. Carson should throw Ghiaciuc a beating...

And besides that I think that SJackson was also avaiable at that time...

Thoughtlessness? Interesting.

What mocks do you gather your information from related to the NFL draft, because all the ones I was able to find didn't even have Chris Perry projected as a 1st round pick! Here are some for you to sort through.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2004/mockdraft.shtml

http://www.askthecommish.com/2004nfldraft/

http://www.draftcountdown.com/archive/2004/2004-Mock.php

http://www.softycentral.com/stuff/2004mockdraft.htm

We had the 24th pick before traded down with St. Louis and they ended up picking Jackson, who was the highest rated player on the board and thought to be a Top-15 pick. I remember just KNOWING that Jackson would be a Bengal, especially after his monster combine and bowl game, and thinking he'd be a steal there at #24. After the draft, Marvin and co. suggested that Perry was the player they wanted all along, as being the best fit for their offense between the two and Kevin Jones (who was also reportedly considered). The Bengals knew he'd still be there because Green Bay was set on picking Batman Carroll at #25 and the Bengals had moved down from #24 to #26, while picking up another pick. The 117th pick that they acquired from the Rams ended up being Robert Geathers.

As far as the BPA talk goes, how did you rate Chris Gamble versus Perry that year? I remember how most Bengals fans thought that Gamble would be the pick and was not only the BPA but filled a major need at CB, at the time. He ended up going 28th.

I remember that VIVIDLY. I as at my buddy's house watching the draft and when our pick came up, they said "Chris" and I thought for sure is was Gamble, but NOOOOOOOOO !!! Chris freaking Perry. Oh well. They really just need to be done with that sad sack of a pick and move on.

I remember that VIVIDLY. I as at my buddy's house watching the draft and when our pick came up, they said "Chris" and I thought for sure is was Gamble, but NOOOOOOOOO !!! Chris freaking Perry. Oh well. They really just need to be done with that sad sack of a pick and move on.

I sincerely believe that the Bengals intentionally select players against common thinking, believing they can use their remarkable coaching skills to develop players that will perform at levels higher than they project. That's my only rational excuse for why we have so many misses, especially in early rounds and so many projects later in the draft.

They should just hire Charlie Casserly and be donw with it.

SexyRex is coming in for visit tommorow. I personally would love to have him as a backup, and not because of his nickname. I think he is a peice of dustch but he is a good QB

F*CK Rex Grossman. I really don't like him whatsoever...

Love him or hate him I would much rather have him than go down that Anthony Wright road, or have some bum like Jared Lorenzen or Joey Harrington come in here. I wouldn't mind seeing LP Losman in stripes, he has a bad attitude, but the guy has some talent!

Ok, here we go...

The Bengals are bringing in 3 QB's to consider for the backup role.

Rex Grossman

JT O'Sullivan

JP Losman

Obviously Rowe and Palmer 2.0 aren't going to be considered right away, so leave them out. WHO DO YOU WANT OUT OF THOSE THREE ??

I'm not happy with any of those options and could only hope and pray Carson doesn't go down. If I HAD to pick one ??

What the hell, gimme O'Sullivan...

I lean towards Grossman. He's a spaz, I admit it, but he's also a streaky player who sometimes plays out of his head. Many backup QB dreams are made from such stuff, ehhh?

Ehhh. Although I have to say the only dreams backup QB's have are of those becoming a starting QB. Can't fault them for that.

Bengals expected to sign former 49ers QB O’Sullivan

Posted: March 4th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, J.T. O'Sullivan, Laveranues Coles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Quarterback signings heated up Wednesday and it is likely to continue Thursday. The Bengals are expected to reach agreement with former 49ers starting quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan, who would take the place of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who signed with Buffalo.

It also would mark the second straight day Cincinnati has found a free-agent replacement for another player it lost.

After former Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh signed with Seattle, Cincinnati lured in Laveraneus Coles (as an aside, can the Bengals find a wideout whose name is easy to spell?) Now O’Sullivan could be next.

Posted: March 4th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, J.T. O'Sullivan, Laveranues Coles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Quarterback signings heated up Wednesday and it is likely to continue Thursday. The Bengals are expected to reach agreement with former 49ers starting quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan, who would take the place of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who signed with Buffalo.

It also would mark the second straight day Cincinnati has found a free-agent replacement for another player it lost.

After former Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh signed with Seattle, Cincinnati lured in Laveraneus Coles (as an aside, can the Bengals find a wideout whose name is easy to spell?) Now O’Sullivan could be next.

11 INTs and 11 fumbles in 8 starts.

11 INTs and 11 fumbles in 8 starts.

So you are saying he has small hands...small hands...I believe the Bengals once had a QB with small hands that disappointed fans over and over with his late game fumbles and dead duck interceptions....hmmm you know what they say about guys with small hands...

They sign smaller contracts! So now we know what Mike Brown looks at first time he meets a potential free agent...the size of his... :lol: