TJ staying for cheaper? **EDIT**

Clackwoods

Well,

With the recent releases of Laverneus Coles and Marvin Harrison the WR pool is starting to get deeper which could affect TJ's ability to get the big contract he wants. He was originally going to be a thoroughbred running with ponies, but all the sudden he is surrounded by some talented wideouts. Coles especially could affect his ability to get a massive contract and could make it more likely that he returns to Cincy.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

With the recent releases of Laverneus Coles and Marvin Harrison the WR pool is starting to get deeper which could affect TJ's ability to get the big contract he wants. He was originally going to be a thoroughbred running with ponies, but all the sudden he is surrounded by some talented wideouts. Coles especially could affect his ability to get a massive contract and could make it more likely that he returns to Cincy.

IMO more big name WR's will be added to this list before the draft.

Coles ?? Harrison ?? Would you want either of them over TJ at this point ?? My answer is no and if your answer is the same as mine, there is no reason to think TJ isn't going to get paid. Add to that each team was given another 4 million to their cap and there are some teams that have been making big moves to free up space and you have all the signs of TJ getting what he thinks he's worth.

Side note: It won't be the Bengals...

Coles ?? Harrison ?? Would you want either of them over TJ at this point ?? My answer is no and if your answer is the same as mine, there is no reason to think TJ isn't going to get paid. Add to that each team was given another 4 million to their cap and there are some teams that have been making big moves to free up space and you have all the signs of TJ getting what he thinks he's worth.

TJ is gone, the Bengals are cheap unless it's the quarterback position so there is not a chance in hell that we are going to out bid the market to sign him.

Both Harrison and Coles have been the number 1 receivers for their teams in the past and put up big numbers doing it. For all intensive purposes TJ has always been a number two. This is why TJ won't get the huge contract he wants. He hasn't proven himself to put up huge numbers without Chad absorbing all the coverage. He had 4 TD's in 08 with 900 yards, versus Coles' 7 TDs with 800 yards and Marvin's 5 TDs for 700 yards. I just can't see a team like Seattle or Minnesota throwing 12 mill at TJ hoping hell be great on his own.

Both Harrison and Coles have been the number 1 receivers for their teams in the past and put up big numbers doing it. For all intensive purposes TJ has always been a number two. This is why TJ won't get the huge contract he wants. He hasn't proven himself to put up huge numbers without Chad absorbing all the coverage. He had 4 TD's in 08 with 900 yards, versus Coles' 7 TDs with 800 yards and Marvin's 5 TDs for 700 yards. I just can't see a team like Seattle or Minnesota throwing 12 mill at TJ hoping hell be great on his own.

Good point,

The reason I see his sell ability decreasing is because you can now get proven number 1's who have had similar numbers or better at a cheaper price. I wouldn't mind seeing Coles come to Cincy to replace TJ.

He's for sure gone, but the only teams I can see that would spend foolishly on a #2 WO are the Redskins, and Raiders.

I think Al Davis is going to be hesitant to spend wildly, especially after his horrible failure last year. Maybe Washington will do it, but I think they might make another play for Chad!

Well, I'm thinking TJ gets paid and it won't be from the Bengals. Agree to disagree at this point, but I don't think teams are looking at TJ to bring what a #1 WR will. I think they will want him for the same reason the Bengals will and will be willing to spend to get it. A possession receiver who has great hands and has been near the top or at it not only in receptions, but receptions for 3rd down conversions is nothing to turn your nose up at. I wish TJ well, but it won't be with the Bengals.

I also saw where the Falcons released Warrick Dunn. Seems Benson would appear to be near the top of the RB free agent list though...

Marvin still thinks he can get TJ back, but I'm still not envisioning that happening. I just don't really think TJ wants to be here.

The chance to do something different in a new place would be to much of a draw, even outside the money.

Another question is who is going to sign Cedric Benson. We're going to go from TJ and Ced to Kevin Jones and Devery henderson. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhh Discount!

I wouldn't mind seeing Devery Henderson come here, I have already come to terms with the fact that TJ is leaving. Also, I really don't see Cedric Benson not coming back, we gave him his chance and he WILL BE a number one bell cow back here. He needs to stop playing around or we will sign someone else and he will be left out in the street again.

Does anyone have a glimmer of hope that we can get Brown? That would rejuvenate me

it looks like the people we would be bidding against are the skins, dolphins and bills. we all know what the skins do, although they are rumored to be in the bidding for haynesworth, in miami parcells will get what he wants and buffalo just cut dockery maybe to make room for brown. it does not look good. we'll end up paying saturday 6 million for how good he used to be.

Does anyone have a glimmer of hope that we can get Brown? That would rejuvenate me

it looks like the people we would be bidding against are the skins, dolphins and bills. we all know what the skins do, although they are rumored to be in the bidding for haynesworth, in miami parcells will get what he wants and buffalo just cut dockery maybe to make room for brown. it does not look good. we'll end up paying saturday 6 million for how good he used to be.

With all of these teams releasing players, there is going to be PLENTY of cap room available. The NFL Network reported that the Bucs saved over 10 million in salary cao space in purging their roster yesterday. I expect T.J. to get a 3 year deal that averages about 5-6 million per year (10 to 12 million guaranteed). He's also a candiate to get one of those Gibril Wilson front loaded deals, in which he'll be a FA again in 2010, if he doesn't produce.

the sad fact is, this is not a team most players want to play for. this is a place for players at the end of their career or, player that are desperate. take benson and crocker, saying they would like to came back. now they have some value in the market and neither has signed here. we see it every year. we get excited about it only to watch all the top guys sign else where. the second wave comes we start talking about this player that player. only to watch them sign else where, then we get pissed and start cussing mikey and end up with whats left. i would love to see this change and i not one who wants unreal bs. one top free agent every now and again is not to much to expect.

the sad fact is, this is not a team most players want to play for. this is a place for players at the end of their career or, player that are desperate. take benson and crocker, saying they would like to came back. now they have some value in the market and neither has signed here. we see it every year. we get excited about it only to watch all the top guys sign else where. the second wave comes we start talking about this player that player. only to watch them sign else where, then we get pissed and start cussing mikey and end up with whats left. i would love to see this change and i not one who wants unreal bs. one top free agent every now and again is not to much to expect.

Cincinnati is a cold-weather city, has poor ownership and has been to one playoff game in the last 20 or so years. We will always have to grossly overpay to get quality FA's, unless at least one of those factors change.

Cincinnati is a cold-weather city, has poor ownership and has been to one playoff game in the last 20 or so years. We will always have to grossly overpay to get quality FA's, unless at least one of those factors change.

Don't forget the small town atmosphere and tendency to be somewhat socially conservative - not bad things in my opinion, but puts Cincinnati up there with the Utah Jazz in attempting to attract FAs I'm sure.

That's one good reason why teams that are historical losers need to build from within. You have to change perception first before you can attract talent.

Do note, however, there was a time when no self-respecting FA on the planet would go to New England. Now they're practically lining up outside the door. It is possible.