Bringing back Hue for OC?

AGrizzlyBaer

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav..._in_demand.html

If the Ravens lose today to Pittsburgh, don't be surprised if defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is named the new New York Jets coach Monday or Tuesday. Ryan and the Jets are reportedly close to a deal, but nothing is definite. If Ryan leaves, look for him to take several Ravens coaches with him, including linebacker's coach Mike Pettine, who would become the Jets' defensive coordinator. Ryan also likes Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who would become the Jets' offensive coordinator. The only problem is that Jackson is also being approached by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to become the Bengals' offensive coordinator.

Jackson was once the Bengals' wide receivers coach, and tutored Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in college.

Ryan is supposed be on his way to newyork and planned to sign asap,Can a team block a position coach from upgrading to coordinator for another team?

Because I remember Cinci giving permission for him to leave for the Falcons but I doubt Ravens would let him walk to division foe making the reunion even less likely : (

I want to keep Brat. I like being able to what the play call is on every down. In this crazy world, having that sort of predictability in my life makes me feel secure. ;)

In all seriousness...bring Hue back!

Oh, and Kaz - yes, a team can block a coach from being a coordinator, though it's generally frowned upon as being sort of a dick move unless he's looking to jump to a division rival, which isn't the case here. The only thing they can't block would be a head coach offer.

Grizzly, let me first say thank you. Thank you for posting something other than what I was expecting to be another "What do you think about (name your coach) being the OC when we fire Brat ??" type of thread. Thank you for including a link as well...

I think the move would be a good one for many reasons, but they should all be to obvious for me to go on about, so I will leave it at that...

Please God, please God, please God !!!

Grizzly, let me first say thank you. Thank you for posting something other than what I was expecting to be another "What do you think about (name your coach) being the OC when we fire Brat ??" type of thread. Thank you for including a link as well...

I think the move would be a good one for many reasons, but they should all be to obvious for me to go on about, so I will leave it at that...

Please God, please God, please God !!!

Now that is Change we can believe in. Nice to have it announced on Jan 20. But the Bengals will have to compete with $$ to get him. He's sure to be in high demand. One thing obvious to anyone watching last nights game is Baltimore's entire team came prepared to do whatever it took physically to win. While Baltimore made too many mistakes, they beat the hell out of each other last night and either team would whoop Arizona. Good coaching job for both teams.

Anybody follow the Baltimore Sun links to this little buried nugget?

[Hines] Ward also talked about how he enjoys getting on the Ravens' nerves and how he tries to break Baltimore's concentration. Ward is a tenacious blocker and he is occasionally criticized for taking cheap shots. Earlier in the season, he broke the jaw of Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers. Ward was not penalized on the play.

"You’re hearing the guys, ‘Oh you’re not going to break my jaw.’ Or you’re running around and they’re looking at you," Ward said referring to how he distracts the Ravens.

<_<

INCOMPLETE REPORTS FUEL RUMORS OF HUE TO CINCINNATI

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2009, 12:54 p.m. EST

Facing the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” reality of the new media, newspapers are mimicking web sites and blogs.

In many respects, it’s good.

In some respects, it isn’t.

Because newspapers still carry a certain amount of weight (and maybe they shouldn’t), the stuff they say gets repeated and magnified and often taken as fact.

Case in point: We’ve received plenty of e-mails this morning regarding “reports” of former Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson returning to Cincinnati as offensive coordinator.

The last we checked, however, the Bengals have an offensive coordinator, Bob Bratkowski.

So what the hell is going on?

Well, it started with Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun suggesting in a Sunday blog entry that “Jackson is . . . being approached by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to become Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator.” Preston offered no details or citations to support the notion that Lewis would be firing or demoting Bratkowski and bringing Jackson back to town.

Enter the Cincinnati Enquirer, which seized on this single sentence and converted it into a full-blown article.

And so, because it’s now appearing in the Enquirer, it’s being regarded as the truth.

It remains to be seen whether there’s any actual accuracy to these reports. And that’s fine; plenty of stuff that appears here and on other web sites and blogs are couched as rumor and possibility, not fact and certainty.

The lesson is that it requires the readers to have a more discerning eye when it comes to reading this

From cinci enq

Lewis eyeing Jackson

Bengals could replace offensive coordinator

PITTSBURGH - Marvin Lewis' offseason hints about changes in the Bengals offense might include one other thing - a new coordinator.

Advertisement

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that Lewis is interested in pursuing Ravens quarterbacks coach and former Bengals assistant Hue Jackson to rejoin the team as offensive coordinator. Jackson is also being sought by current Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan to join him if he becomes head coach of the Jets.

Depending on how the Ravens fared against the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game, the Jets could name Ryan head coach this week if Baltimore is eliminated.

Jackson was wide receivers coach with the Bengals from 2004-06 and is credited with the continued development of Chad Ocho Cinco and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Under Jackson, Ocho Cinco led the AFC in receiving yards all three seasons. Jackson also has a history with quarterback Carson Palmer. He served as the offensive coordinator at Southern Cal from 1997-2000 and recruited Palmer.

Jackson and Lewis were also on the Washington Redskins staff in 2002, when Lewis was defensive coordinator and Jackson the running backs coach. Jackson was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2003. After leaving the Bengals, Jackson was offensive coordinator in Atlanta in 2007 before going to Baltimore this season

Facing the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” reality of the new media, newspapers are mimicking web sites and blogs.

The local paper in Licking County is a daily from the county seat. They have an online version, and allow readers to post comments after the articles.

The comments are usually better than the articles. A local title agency owner gets charged with embezzlement, and the comments are along the lines of, "I know her, she's got a fat ass," and "I guess now we all know how she afforded that mercedes." Stuff like that, which appeals to those of us with a sophomoric sense of humor.

So in this case, the paper isn't mimicking web sites and blogs, it's become a web site and it hosts blogs by readers. Most of the blogs are boring, mostly frustrated writers who choose to display exactly why they never made it as writers. But those comments are awesome.

This seems almost too good to be true.

Good call. The source of the rumor, Mike Preston, has been linked to a number of Bengal-related rumors in the past and none that I can think of have ever proven true.

As for the idea itself, sure.

Lewis has openly challenged Bratkowski to rebuild the offense around the running game and other statements give further credence to either an overall erosion of confidence in his top offensive assistant or just as likely....an ever widening gap in rebuilding strategies. And obviously, since leaving Cincy Hue Jackson has gained additional experience as a coordinator, and as a result is more qualified to design gameplans and call plays, but is also better prepared to lead a rebuilding effort.

Last point. Hue Jackson would also give the Bengals a well respected already known calming influence on problem children like Chad and Henry, and his return might prove helpful in getting TJ to stay. Not to mention what his presence might mean in regards to the futures of Simpson and Calwell.

I know it's only January, but reading a Mike Florio post in which he enjoins readers to have a "more discerning eye" regarding stuff they read on the web might be the funniest thing you'll read on the 'tubes all year.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Beat me to it. :lol:

Still, it does point out yet again how lazy the folks at the Enquirer have become.

The time for the Bengals to make a change would be after the Senior Bowl. Hue Jackson could be what the offense has been missing. He works well with our 3 best offensive players and did a great job with Flacco this year. Did a good job in Atlanta, all things considered, too. I like the fact he could help with the young receivers and he is a commanding influence in the locker room, by all accounts.

Since he would be promoted from QB coach, the Ravens could not block a move to the Bengals. Would the Bengals consider making him the assistant head coach, removing the title from Anderson, to get Hue?? I think it would be a good move and enough to entice Jackson, especially considering that he would be the first in line to assume HC responsibilities, if Marvin resigns/is fired next season.