11-5 can get you fired....but not 4-11-1?

GregCook

From PFT, a successful team, made the playoffs still isn't satisfied and throws one to the fishes. Yet here we are, 2 weeks into our annual postseason funk and no changes on the horizon. Un--F##Ken believable. I have to wonder what goes thru a players head when they see nobody is held accountable for a crappy, lousy, forgettable season? Does the thought enter their head that giving less than 100% is alright in Bengaldom? Then throw in Chad dogging it during the season and he's still making his dough? Could make for a miserable 2009 season.

REPORT: DOLPHINS FIRE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

Posted by Josh Alper on January 14, 2009, 3:49 p.m.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Dolphins fired offensive line coach Mike Maser on Wednesday. If true, Maser’s firing would be the first change to the staff following Miami’s surprising 11-5 season and AFC East title.

Maser was the first assistant hired by Tony Sparano, a former offensive line coach himself, after Sparano got the job last year. H e’d previously worked for the Panthers, Jaguars, and Boston College.

Mortensen didn’t elaborate on reasons for the firing. The Dolphins finished 11th in the league in rushing during the regular season and finished 12th according to Football Outsiders‘ adjusted sack rate.

From PFT, a successful team, made the playoffs still isn't satisfied and throws one to the fishes. Yet here we are, 2 weeks into our annual postseason funk and no changes on the horizon. Un--F##Ken believable. I have to wonder what goes thru a players head when they see nobody is held accountable for a crappy, lousy, forgettable season? Does the thought enter their head that giving less than 100% is alright in Bengaldom? Then throw in Chad dogging it during the season and he's still making his dough? Could make for a miserable 2009 season.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Dolphins fired offensive line coach Mike Maser on Wednesday. If true, Maser’s firing would be the first change to the staff following Miami’s surprising 11-5 season and AFC East title.

Maser was the first assistant hired by Tony Sparano, a former offensive line coach himself, after Sparano got the job last year. H e’d previously worked for the Panthers, Jaguars, and Boston College.

Mortensen didn’t elaborate on reasons for the firing. The Dolphins finished 11th in the league in rushing during the regular season and finished 12th according to Football Outsiders‘ adjusted sack rate.

You can't just fire someone everytime they have a down season. Things happen and unless you got an excellent GM it is tough to stay on top. Everytime you switch coaches, you switch coordinators and you mess up the chemistry of the team. Why do you think the 49ers and the Redskins are always so dysfunctional, because they have been switching coaches every year.

Generally position coaches aren't axed because of a team's record, unless used as an excuse to save the head coach's face. Furthermore, Miami had the 11th best rushing offense, 11th best yards-per-rush, and the pass protection was 10th best. Football outsiders ranked Miami with the 12th best offense, rushing and passing.

Me thinks it's something beyond football. Me thinks this was a philosophical difference.

I've just accepted the fact there aren't going to be any changes. I accepted that a couple weeks back. I mean does it really do any good to discuss it ?? Not that it's not a correct thought process, just a waste of time to put thought to. All of our coaches are coming back and there is nothing any of us can do about it except move on to what comes next.

Senior Bowl

Free Agency

The Draft

You can't just fire someone everytime they have a down season. Things happen and unless you got an excellent GM it is tough to stay on top. Everytime you switch coaches, you switch coordinators and you mess up the chemistry of the team. Why do you think the 49ers and the Redskins are always so dysfunctional, because they have been switching coaches every year.

Then explain to us why the Bengals have been so disfunctional for years. Your plan is to keep all the coaches and players and stay the course? Will that help us improve? Denver won a couple of SB's and fired their HC. Can yoy explain that decision?

Yes, Brat's offense has been stale since 2006. I thought for sure that he would go this offseason but it looks as if I was wrong. Brat must have more years on his contract, or at least be signed through 2009. Mike Brown will not let a coach go if his contract is still valid.

The sad part is that CP alluded to needed changes in the coaching staff after 2007 for this team to be successful. Does keeping the O-Coordinator in charge of the league's 32nd ranked offense spark confidence in the players? I would think not.

Then explain to us why the Bengals have been so disfunctional for years. Your plan is to keep all the coaches and players and stay the course? Will that help us improve? Denver won a couple of SB's and fired their HC. Can yoy explain that decision?

We haven't been that dysfunctional since Marvin got here. We improved immediately when he got here, then we made the playoffs by winning the division. We lost Carson to injury, Steinbeck to FA, our center retired, Willie got old, and Levi got hurt. That was the demise of our team. If you remember in 2006 we had to win one of our last three games and we would have been in the playoffs, but we choked, especially our special teams. As for 2007 we regressed because basically our entire 2005 draft washed out for one reason or another which will cripple any team and in 2008 we had a rediculous schedule against some of the best defensive teams in the league and our FRANCHISE QB was out for pretty much the entire season. Marvin has done a great job at least giving us hope, and those that forget that need to think back to the Akili Smith and Blake days when we sucked even worse and their was no chance of even talking about playoffs.

As far as Mike S goes, he is a brilliant coach and a football genius. The owner knows that, everybody knows that. He won 2 superbowls which is great, but Football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport and he has only won one playoff game in the last ten years. He is persecuted because he has had the talent and they have made the playoffs. The same rule applied to Schottenheimer in San Diego, when he got fired his team was 14-2. All that matters is wins in the playoffs, and that alone can change the perception of a team and it's coaches and Mike just didn't get it done. Need an example of that? Look at Eli, he was a bum and being called soft and sackless his whole career, but he has three good games and all the sudden he is better than his brother? Look at the Cardinals, everyone was talking s**t about them the last month of the season, but I guarantee if they beat the Eagles then they will be the talk of the town and everyone will be on their bandwagon. So to give you a definitive answer, if you have a hopeless franchise and you make them compete your job is safer than a guy who has a built, established franchised who can't win playoff games.

We haven't been that dysfunctional since Marvin got here. We improved immediately when he got here, then we made the playoffs by winning the division. We lost Carson to injury, Steinbeck to FA, our center retired, Willie got old, and Levi got hurt. That was the demise of our team. If you remember in 2006 we had to win one of our last three games and we would have been in the playoffs, but we choked, especially our special teams. As for 2007 we regressed because basically our entire 2005 draft washed out for one reason or another which will cripple any team and in 2008 we had a rediculous schedule against some of the best defensive teams in the league and our FRANCHISE QB was out for pretty much the entire season. Marvin has done a great job at least giving us hope, and those that forget that need to think back to the Akili Smith and Blake days when we sucked even worse and their was no chance of even talking about playoffs.

As far as Mike S goes, he is a brilliant coach and a football genius. The owner knows that, everybody knows that. He won 2 superbowls which is great, but Football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport and he has only won one playoff game in the last ten years. He is persecuted because he has had the talent and they have made the playoffs. The same rule applied to Schottenheimer in San Diego, when he got fired his team was 14-2. All that matters is wins in the playoffs, and that alone can change the perception of a team and it's coaches and Mike just didn't get it done. Need an example of that? Look at Eli, he was a bum and being called soft and sackless his whole career, but he has three good games and all the sudden he is better than his brother? Look at the Cardinals, everyone was talking s**t about them the last month of the season, but I guarantee if they beat the Eagles then they will be the talk of the town and everyone will be on their bandwagon. So to give you a definitive answer, if you have a hopeless franchise and you make them compete your job is safer than a guy who has a built, established franchised who can't win playoff games.

So I guess to you dysfunctional doesn't include all the arrests and suspensions in the Marvin Lewis era? Losing players for months of the season due to drugs and alcohol abuse?

Having the two start wideouts boycott team training last year? Having Chad call out ownership and coaching for being incompetent?

For awhile, if I recall correctly, the Bengals lead the league in arrests.

Very normal. Just like most big families.

I don't get why the title is deceptive, sure I'm venting, but isn't that why we have message boards?

So I guess to you dysfunctional doesn't include all the arrests and suspensions in the Marvin Lewis era? Losing players for months of the season due to drugs and alcohol abuse?

Really? The Bengals had problems with players? I must have missed it the first ten thousand times ESPN mentioned it.

That stuff is pretty far in the past, and lots of other teams have overtaken us as the poster child for NFL misbehavior. Pardon me, I mean lot of other teams should have overtaken us. Oddly, we still get a bad rap.

I don't know Mike Maser, I have never heard of Mike Maser......

But even though you know nothing.....you want the guy, right?

Abso-FREAKING-lutely. Some dude name Albert once said the the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If I was on the 2nd floor of a building that was about to explode, I'd dive out the window, even though I have no idea what is waiting for me on the ground. But hey, it probably beats the heck out of the alternative.

We haven't been that dysfunctional since Marvin got here. We improved immediately when he got here, then we made the playoffs by winning the division.

So I guess to you dysfunctional doesn't include all the arrests and suspensions in the Marvin Lewis era? Losing players for months of the season due to drugs and alcohol abuse? Having the two start wideouts boycott team training last year? Having Chad call out ownership and coaching for being incompetent?

Well, you're both right. The Bengals were far less dysfunctional from 2003 through 2005. Then, starting in 2006 we get all the crap End cites.

Again, this reflects what Lewis was talking about at the end of the season. That the 03-05 team was something of a mirage. Guys weren't "screwed down tight enough." When the first bit of real adversity hit in the playoff game, the team shattered like cheap crystal.

Contrast that with last year's team. It had nothing but tough times all year. Yet they hung together and kept playing hard. Having followed all the faction-ridden, whiner-filled losing clubs of the last 18 or so years, that was a welcome change.

Jesus Christ, take a look at the other teams that have had MORE troubled kids than the Bengals over the past two seasons and move the F*CK on already. Did those times have a negative affect on the team ?? Of course, but they have moved on from that. Yeah, Chris Henry is a dumbf*ck, but he's not the be all and end all of this team either.

You want a direction to look in regards to a negative affect ?? Look at losing two top draft picks from the defensive side of the ball in Pollack and Thurman. We have NOTHING in return for those two picks and future picks could have gone into another position of need. It takes a lot for a team to recover from something that most give no consideration to...