Adam Schefter reports Houshmandzadeh won't get tagged.

BengalszoneBilly

I just don't get the thought process here.

Report: T.J. won't get tagged

By Jeff Tindall • jtindall@enquirer.com • December 26, 2008

Schefter says Cincinnati will instead try to sign Houshmandzadeh to an extension before his contract expires in late February.

Offensive tackle Stacy Andrews was last season's franchise tag recipient, netting him a $7.455 million salary.

But Andrews injured his knee in the Browns game Sunday, so the Bengals probably won't re-tag him this year because the injury will diminish his attractiveness on the market, Schefter said.

"Don't look for Andrews' tag to go on Houshmandzadeh," Schefter said on his NFL.com blog, citing "a league source."

Houshmandzadeh, 31 years old, has rebuffed previous attempts by the Bengals to sign him to a long-term deal.

Schefter's blog entry: http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/24/bengals-fa...houshmandzadeh/

Well, so far me, kirk, Florio, TJ and Marvin have all called bullsh*t on this, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Could they be trying to save the franchise tag for another player, and if so, whom?

John Thornton???

IMHO, the only other player who might be in the running for the franchise tag is Opie

Of course, you realize that Girlcheck is eligible to be tagged :-)

That would be a double whammy of epic proportions. <_<

Well, so far me, kirk, Florio, TJ and Marvin have all called bullsh*t on this, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Could they be trying to save the franchise tag for another player, and if so, whom?

Cedric Benson? RB is alot cheaper then WR.

Not really. WR was $7.8m this season, RB $6.5 million. We'll see how they shake out in '09.

But could I see a bonehead move like: let TJ go and franchise Benson? Yeah, sadly, I could. I mean, what do we need experienced wideouts for in a pass-oriented offense, right?