Perry's days numbered as a Bengal?

BengalszoneBilly

About 3 years to late for me, but I'll take it..

Sunday’s NFL regular-season finale against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs could mark tailback Chris Perry’s final game in a Cincinnati Bengals’ uniform.

After five turbulent seasons, the club appears ready to cut ties with its No. 1 draft pick from 2004.

Perry’s contract runs through 2009, but his $1 million base salary next season doesn’t equal his production (104 carries, 269 yards, 2 TDs) from this year.

Look for him to become a salary cap casualty.

A series of injuries haunted Perry for four years. This season, ball security was his downfall.

He won the starting job with a strong training camp and preseason, but five fumbles (three lost) cost the team two victories and triggered a search for answers.

Cedric Benson, who was signed on Sept. 30, has responded with 636 rushing yards in 11 games with nine starts.

Benson needs 39 rushing yards to reach 675, a career high.

He has only five career fumbles (4 lost) in 609 carries over 46 games in four seasons.

Against Cleveland, non-drafted rookie James Johnson (Kansas State) accounted for 37 all-purpose yards (10 rushing, 27 receiving).

Perry was activated, but did not play. That’s further proof he’s on his way out.

About 3 years to late for me, but I'll take it..

Sunday’s NFL regular-season finale against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs could mark tailback Chris Perry’s final game in a Cincinnati Bengals’ uniform.

After five turbulent seasons, the club appears ready to cut ties with its No. 1 draft pick from 2004.

Perry’s contract runs through 2009, but his $1 million base salary next season doesn’t equal his production (104 carries, 269 yards, 2 TDs) from this year.

Look for him to become a salary cap casualty.

A series of injuries haunted Perry for four years. This season, ball security was his downfall.

He won the starting job with a strong training camp and preseason, but five fumbles (three lost) cost the team two victories and triggered a search for answers.

Cedric Benson, who was signed on Sept. 30, has responded with 636 rushing yards in 11 games with nine starts.

Benson needs 39 rushing yards to reach 675, a career high.

He has only five career fumbles (4 lost) in 609 carries over 46 games in four seasons.

Against Cleveland, non-drafted rookie James Johnson (Kansas State) accounted for 37 all-purpose yards (10 rushing, 27 receiving).

Perry was activated, but did not play. That’s further proof he’s on his way out.

And to think... Perry held out his rookie season because he wanted a 4 year contract and the Bengals wouldn't budge on their 5 year deal.

Chick demonstrates a virtuoso mastery of the obvious here...I await his next opus, "Does Stacy's Injury Mean the Bengals Won't Tag Him Again?"

Why do you think they won't franchise Andrews? Is he definitely out all next year? Will a "tag" allow them to extend negotiations?

I am constantly amazed by the pervasive believe that the Bengal's primary motivation is to act intelligently and/or win games.

Actually, winning may be the top motivation for the coaching staff (or a close 2nd to job security). It is probably the top motivation to some of the players (except for those looking for job security and, of course, Chad).

It most definititely is NOT the number one aim of the front office - it's not even in the top 7.

All decisions by idiot-Mikey & the FO are based on the following criteria:

1) Minimizing expenses

2) Family and loyalty

3) Maximizing revenue

4) Justifying past actions (or inactions) - includes whining about our 'small market'

5) Accounts Receivables (all season ticket holders are well aware of this one!)

6) Proving to outsiders that in-house football expertise does exist

7) Putting a "competitive" product on the field

I think these are listed in the order of importance, based on the last 20 years of decision-making. "WINNING" isn't even on the list. Actually, although "WINNING" would help numbers 3 thru 7, it could negatively impact #1.

If you're going to franchise somebody, why not an OT who should be motivated to grab a deal a.s.a.p.?

HOOSIER: Quit thinking like an intelligent, win-hungry football fan and start thinking like a Brown. You don't know how hard it is to run an NFL franchise!

Perry cannot be gone soon enough

Heck, he's barely been here his whole career. His "going" this upcoming offseason is little more than a formality.

Other guys I see moving on include:

Andrews (at best he get a minimum contract to rehab)

Dexter Jackson (hello, Chris Crocker)

John Thornton (has been some talk of bringing him back as a backup but I think the Bengals will use that slot for a draft pick)

Antonio Chatman (can't stay healthy)

Glenn Holt (Caldwell or James Johnson takes over returning kicks)

Eric Ghaicuic (duh)

Kenny Watson (getting older, more banged up)

Guys who may go:

Levi (he seems to be literally falling apart in front of our eyes)

Chad (tough to figure. Does he revert to Ocho Bozo after this weekend? Do the Bengals honor their wink-and-a-handshake deal to re-examine his contract even after his down year? What's his trade value this time around? And we still don't have a proven replacement. In the end I think he stays but maybe not.)

Guys who stay:

Crocker (Bengals seem intent on getting this done)

Benson (Bengals will overpay)

TJ (I don't care what Schefter says, they will tag him if necessary)

Heck, he's barely been here his whole career. His "going" this upcoming offseason is little more than a formality.

Not exactly correct....his presence has impacted the salary cap and has also prevented them from moving on to a new bellcow RB. Yes, even if I count the unfortunate Irons situation.

Well, if that's the way the Bengals feel, I'd argue it's a cop-out. Remember, Perry was a low first round pick. His rookie deal was 5 years for $7 million. They probably could have cut him any time since about '06 and at least broken even. Certainly last year or this year they would have gained space. The only thing preventing them from moving on is this franchise's habit of falling prey to the sunk costs fallacy.

ZIPPITY DOO DAA... ZIPPITY AAAA.... MY OH MY WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!

PLENTY OF SUNSHINE ... HEADING MY WAY.... ZIPPITY DOO DAH.. ZIPPITY AAAAA...

MR. BLUE BIRDS ON MY SHOULDER .. ... AND IF THE TRUTH IS FACTUAL...

EVERYTHING IS SATISFACTUAL...

ZIPPPITY DOO DA... ZIPPPITY AAAA.. WONDERFUL FEELING .......

WONDERFULLLLLLL DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: