Bengals D-Line Observations

rwjcgc

Chick Ludwig (Dayton Daily News) recently wrote that the best Bengals defensive line player is

not as good as the worst Giants D-Line player. To paraphrase, no Bengals D-Lineman could

make the Giants roster.

If true, that is a very sad commentary. It speaks volumes to Brown, Lewis, & Co.'s inability to

properly evaluate and sign talent.

I would be curious to hear how Brown justifies to himself the inability of this team to succeed. Does he even

care, or is he satisfied to be mediocre and make loads of money off the city and fans?

I would be curious to hear how Brown justifies to himself the inability of this team to succeed. Does he even

care, or is he satisfied to be mediocre and make loads of money off the city and fans?

i'm guessing brown would point west and say, 'look, it's al davis! he's beating lane kiffin!' and while your attention was diverted he'd put a cardboard cutout of boomer in his place and slink away. in short, i think you answered your own question.

And... I would disagree with Ludwig.

Peko and Odom make that team, no problem.

They might make the team, but they don't start. Odom sits behind Tuck and Umenyiora, and Kiwanuka is the top backup at DE. Odom or Geathers might be fourth up after a healthy McDougle (who unfortunately is rarely healthy). Peko might be the top back up DT, although the Giants have a similar talent in Jay Alford already.

I'll admit, I'm a Giants fan. But I live in Cincinnati, root for you guys to do well (except this week :D ), and probably watch more Bengals football than that of my hometown boys. And I just dont understand how year after year, going on seven seasons now, I've seen the Bengals DL play like such garbage while the front office sits on their hands and does nothing about it. Thats the reason this team goes nowhere. Defensively, it all starts on the DL, and Mike Brown & co. somehow hasn't figured that out even though the rest of the NFL has known for decades.

It's not just the DL. They have no one who can rush the passer. They blitzed A LOT today, and rarely got to Manning. I think they hit him twice. Even when we blitzed, Manning had all day to throw. So either our guys suck at rushing the passer, Zimmer's blitzes are to complex for them to execute, or Zimmer draws up s**tty blitzes.

It's disheartening to see seven or eight guys rush the QB and none of them get there.

It's not just the DL. They have no one who can rush the passer. They blitzed A LOT today, and rarely got to Manning. I think they hit him twice. Even when we blitzed, Manning had all day to throw. So either our guys suck at rushing the passer, Zimmer's blitzes are to complex for them to execute, or Zimmer draws up s**tty blitzes.

It's disheartening to see seven or eight guys rush the QB and none of them get there.

Everybody is a Marvin guy too. Drafted or signed via FA by Marvin, Defensive Genius, Lewis.

I don't blame the dline for the losses though, I think they've played well enough to win. Even the secondary played much better than I expected. I thought the Bengals would lose ugly yesterday, especially in the secondary...but they didn't.

Its the Oline that is the cause for the losses. Yesterday's 6 sacks just underlined the problem. Carson will get murdered sooner or later this season. Does Levi Jones even try anymore?

theyre getting no rush because the guys in the middle apply no push, fix that then the double teams go away from the DEs

Exactly if the interior DTs required double teams the DEs would get single on the outside making the blitzes more effective. We need a dominant DT probably two, but we will never know because John Thornton is the man on the dline. Why not probowler John Thornton making the Giants? Lol! He would be the hole in the Giants line. I think when players get older like JT has, the Bengals should see if any other team would give anything for him. Now if no other team wants to trade for JT then it pretty much signals that he sucks and they don't need him anymore. Why couldn't the Bengals use this type strategy of figuring out if a player stinks? They clearly don't watch any game film to evaluate JT's play. Maybe they don't want to admit that JT was a mistake and they are going to live and die with him. It really is a sad sight to see the Bengals D worn out in the 4th quarter because they don't use an effective DT rotation. They stick with the tired guys, but hey that's all they got because the rookies aren't ready yet. Don't know what that means for our DTs. I mean playing DT isn't that complicated and to coach a player up that is a DT isn't that hard. Just be disruptive and play with good leverage. That is pretty much it.

theyre getting no rush because the guys in the middle apply no push, fix that then the double teams go away from the DEs

Seeing 7 guys run at Eli, and watching him drop back while it looks like a pile of orange jerseys, easily 6 or 7 all in a group and 5 oline holding them makes me sick as a bengals fan and as a linebacker. i mean s**t even if they'd cut block me if i blitzed it should still leave atleast someone to rush the hole.

Geathers - Overrated

Peko - Solid, but not spectacular

Thornton - No Comment

Odom - As advertised

Rucker - Greatly improved

Fanene - Overrated

Hariis - Fringe/Developmental player

Shirley - Developmental player

Sims - No grade (injured most of camp and the season so far)

That said, we have a C- line, at best. Only Odom and maybe Peko could start for more than half of the teams in the NFL right now. I also believe that next year will be a better indicator, as most of these players are under their 4th season the the league. Most D-lineman start to turn the corner between their 3-4 seasons, for some reason, especially interior D-lineman. The best T's in the game, minus maybe Tommie Hariis, have taken a few seasons. The best T in the game right now, Albert Haynesworth, didn't become dominant until last season. As far as the DE's go, I think that Rucker is developing into a very solid player. He has been the most improved player on the team this year and a major part of their improved run D on 1st and 2nd downs. Odom, after missing all of camp, has been good with some big plays in basically 2 games. He should get better as his conditioning improves. Geathers has not been the same player to me as he was in '05 and '06, but he did play LB most of last season that may have stalled his development some. Peko is a good, young DT that needs to play next to a DT that teams actually have to gameplan for. Shirley or Sims should be that player....but maybe not until next year. Harris and Fanene have not shown much, which is surprising considering Fanene's extension he signed this year.

This D-line is just terrible. Its amazing anyone could be this bad. The best player we have is at best mediocre, and thats Peko. Peko would be better, as in the good to great range, but he plays beside John Thornton who is a great tackling dummy. Odom is ridiculously overrated, and Geathers WAS good last year at DE but seems to be just as bad at LB as he is at DE this year. You want results you get Pollacks ass back in uniform and put him at DE, put Geathers at tackle with Peko and put Blackstock at the other end. forget about Odom, he was only good because teams had to stop the monster known as Haynesworth, AND Van Den Bosch. both can handle the double team. This defense is an embaressment. I could go on for days about why they're terrible, but ill stop here.

I don't think Odom has been all that impressive, but he'd at least have a chance at making the Giants' roster. Peko is one of the better DTs in the division, IMO.

Where are the turnovers from this defense?

No sacks

No hurries

Still, the defense is the strength of the club this year, for the first time in what, a decade? They are keeping games as close as they've been. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

I just don't see much more than 3 wins from this offense and defense.

Peko is one of the better dt's in the division?....first of all there is ngata, hamton, rodgers, and corey williams is all better and dont forget kelly gregg who we released is better......second of all what has he done?...Do you watch, he gets pushed around constantly and gets no penatration....when is the last time you have seen a bengals dlineman break through the line and stop for a loss..i cant think of one either...peko is a backup player.....they need dt's because there is no push up the middle so the qb can just step up any where he wants to in the pocket and avoid the outside rushers....our dt's are the worst in the leauge