Saints admit they want to move up

Kazkal

SAINTS ADMIT THAT THEY’RE LOOKING TO MOVE UP

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2008, 7:38 a.m.

Amid reports that the Saints have talked to the Rams about a trade up to No. 2 and the Falcons about a move to No. 3, G.M. Mickey Loomis admitted on Tuesday that the team has talked to multiple other franchises regarding such a deal.

“We’ve talked to a number of teams in front of us about the possibility of moving forward,” Loomis said. “It’s all preliminary discussion — you know, nothing concrete. We’ve just expressed a desire to talk about it with a number of teams.”

The Saints are believed to be targeting LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

So why would Loomis go public with this? It might be that the team wants to make it clear that they’re in the market to move, so that maybe the calls will start coming in to them.

The key question for any team that might move down is whether the team thinks that a coveted player will be on the board at No. 10, which is the Saints’ current first-round slot. The Saints will also have to present a sufficient package of additional picks and/or players to make it happen.

Hmmm If the falcons would trade down and let the saints take dorsey that would be super.....

I am betting the Saints go up but not up high enough to get dorsey but high enough to steal ellis. Leaving us with nothing but players in positions that we have no immediate need for.

This always happens to the bengals, and when they do go up and ensure that they get their man, their man ends up being horrible ... Ki-jana Carter.

For all of us "TRADE DOWN" fans, this could be great news:

If Atlanta trades down to #10, AND

Matt Ryan is still on the board, then

our 9th pick becomes a HOT commodity - Carolina, Chicago, and maybe KC (17th) & Tampa Bay could be interested

St. Louis Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz says it looks like the Rams will keep the pick and take Dorsey.

Rams Pick? Looks Like Dorsey

By Bernie Miklasz

04/24/2008 1:59 pm

Good afternoon from Rams Park…

Rams fans should get used to the idea of LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey being the team’s No. 1 choice (and second overall) in Saturday’s NFL Draft. Earlier in the week, I rated the probability of the pick being Dorsey at about 60, 65 percent.

Now I’d say it’s closer to 80 percent now.

Three things could scotch the Dorsey-STL connection:

1. If the Rams had any last-minute second thoughts about Dorsey’s medical issues (namely a stress fracture of his lower leg). But on Thursday, Rams VP of Personnel Billy Devaney reiterated the team’s confidence in Dorsey’s viability and reminded reporters that the team had done of thorough job of investigating Dorsey’s injury history. “We exhausted eveything,” Devaney said. “And we signed off on everything about Glenn Dorsey.” Coach Scott Linehan added that the Rams wouldn’t have a problem in playing last year’s No. 1 pick, Adam Carriker, at defensive end if they had to. Linehan pointed out that Carriker was an All-American DE at Nebraska. Carriker took most of his Rams’ rookie snaps at DT, but did see time at DE down the stretch.

2. If Rams president John Shaw insisted that the team draft another player, namely Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. Shaw likes McFadden, but isn’t going to push for Devaney, the scouts and the coaches to go with McFadden over Dorsey.

And Dorsey is the No. 1 name on the Rams’ draft board.

3. Of course, the Rams could be blown away by a late offer for the No. 2 overall choice… but Devaney and coach Scott Linehan each say the offer would have to be something extraordinary to get them to move off No. 2. Devaney said he’d especially be apprehensive about sliding down as far as No. 10, where New Orleans picks. The Saints have expressed interest in the Rams’ pick. But so far, nothing close has emerged that would give the Rams second thoughts about keeping the pick and opting for Dorsey. The dream scenario of Atlanta giving the Rams a second-round pick to move up a spot (with the Rams sliding down to No. 3 overall) seems to be a longshot.

Nothing is ever definite until the name is called out Saturday in NY… and ’tis is the season of the smokescreen.

But all signs for now point to Dorsey.

If anything changes, I’ll pass it along…

–B

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-e...ks-like-dorsey/

Ug......I hope they're wrong..... :(

I really thought the rams would go for pass rush because carriker is far from one.

The Rams were thrilled with Carricker, but from the moment they drafted him claimed he would be primarily used as a DT who could be kicked outside occasionally. And they weren't lying, as Carricker took more than 70% of his rookie snaps inside. Then, after the season, they asked him to bulk up and he's done just that....now tipping the scales at 310. Personally, I don't see the Rams shifting Carricker outside anymore as he's clearly outgrown the DE position.

If the Rams do select Dorsey I think they'll bookend him with Carricker....a move that stunts the growth of the suprisingly good Clifton Ryan. But that's justifiable if it makes room for Dorsey, the highest rated player on their board. Granted, you're still as weak at DE as any team in the entire NFL, but it gives the Rams three very young and very good interior DL to build around.

Saints keep plugging away...per Prisco they are now offering LT Jamaal Brown as part of the deal...

Wow.

I've never understood or believed the rumors claiming the Saints would pay a ransom just to move up a few slots for Sedrick Ellis. Under that scenario I've always believed the Saints would stay put and select a CB. And moving up to select Dorsey makes far more sense due to his popularity in the state. But trading away a 3rd year player who was the 13th selection in the '05 draft......to a division rival?

Wow.

Saints keep plugging away...per Prisco they are now offering LT Jamaal Brown as part of the deal...

Wow.

I've never understood or believed the rumors claiming the Saints would pay a ransom just to move up a few slots for Sedrick Ellis. Under that scenario I've always believed the Saints would stay put and select a CB. And moving up to select Dorsey makes far more sense due to his popularity in the state. But trading away a 3rd year player who was the 13th selection in the '05 draft......to a division rival?

Wow.

I think you mean conference rival (Rams are in the West).

Clayton says the Rams won't trade down to the 10 hole.

Rams unlikely to trade spots: The Rams have all but ruled out a trade-down scenario with the Saints because it would be too far of a drop to go from the second pick to No. 10. Now, the Saints must concentrate their efforts to get a defensive tackle by trying to move to get USC's Sedrick Ellis. They might be able to swing a trade with the Patriots at No. 7 or Ravens at No. 8 to get him.

I have to think that if NO waves Brown at KC it would have to be tempting, especially if Long is gone. Get a good young LT, drop to the 10 spot and take, say, Harvey, and then at 17 you can probably have your pick of the second-tier QBs or another o-lineman or Balmer...pick a spot, any spot.

In any event, it looks like our chances of landing Ellis are rapidly fading, unless Mikey is willing to get into a bidding war with NO.

Good news?

Shockey traded? A deal might be in place with Saints

PFW believes that Giants TE Jeremy Shockey has been traded to the Saints for multiple draft picks, including the team's second-rounder (No. 40). We'll try to confirm this as soon as we can.

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/Arou...l_might_be.html

Saints could still move up but would basically burn all their top picks...