The schedule

walzav29

Do we want to open with the Colts? Basically do we want to open against a tough team or a weak team? Road/Home? I hate Monday night games, but I'll take a Thursday. This is going to be a brutal schedule. I hope the Bye isn't to early and we open with a tomato can opponent.

Here it is:

Sun., Sept. 7, at Baltimore, 1 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 14, TENNESSEE, 1 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 21, at N.Y. Giants, 1 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 28, CLEVELAND, 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 5, at Dallas, 4:15 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 12, at N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 19, PITTSBURGH, 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 26, (BYE)

Sun., Nov. 2, JACKSONVILLE, 1 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 9, at Houston, 1 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 16, PHILADELPHIA*, 1 p.m.

Thurs., Nov. 20, at Pittsburgh (NFL NETWORK), 8:15 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 30, BALTIMORE*, 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 7, at Indianapolis*, 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 14, WASHINGTON*, 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 21, at Cleveland*, 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 28, KANSAS CITY*, 1 p.m.

First impressions...not bad at all...plenty of tough games but no real killer runs...definitely better than last years' 1/2 killer, 1/2 powder puff sked...bye nicely placed at midseason...last 2-3 games ought to be in the winnable category...no prime time except for nfl network sucks.

I hate the Monday nighters as well. For one it messes up my Sunday. I can't enjoy other games. 2. The Monday night announcers suck. 3. Chad needs his head ti swell down a little. This team isn't ready for the big leagues yet and a little humbling will do it good.

As for the Browns, I'm glad they're on Monday night. They aren't sneaking up on anyone and I think they suck. Now they can deal with the ego's, fame, and high expectations that ruin a team. Enjoy hotshots.

Do we want to open with the Colts? Basically do we want to open against a tough team or a weak team? Road/Home? I hate Monday night games, but I'll take a Thursday. This is going to be a brutal schedule. I hope the Bye isn't to early and we open with a tomato can opponent.

1 prime time game....browns 5.................... -_-

Steelers sked:

http://news.steelers.com/article/88377/

Ow. They take it in the balls before and after that Thursday night game against us. The host the Colts and the Chargers the two weeks before, then have us Thursday night, then travel to Foxboro three days later to play the Pats, and then come home to greet Dallas.

Stains sked:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/gameday/schedule.php

Not bad. 3 out of the last 4 on the road, tho, which could hurt if they are in the hunt. And they open against Dallas, followed by three straight division games. They better be on the ball early or they could dig themselves a hole.

Ravens:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/gameday/schedule.php

Like us they have to trvel to play a lot of good teams -- Cowpokes, Giants, Colts. They do get the Dolphins and Raiders, tho.

As a season ticket holder, I prefer 1:00 pm Sunday games. Although the players like the national exposure, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff prefers a more regular schedule as well - getting into a (winning) rythm can be vital for a young team.

Steelers sked:

http://news.steelers.com/article/88377/

Ow. They take it in the balls before and after that Thursday night game against us. The host the Colts and the Chargers the two weeks before, then have us Thursday night, then travel to Foxboro three days later to play the Pats, and then come home to greet Dallas.

Actually, even though the opponents are VERY HARD for the Steelers, I think they were given a great hand in terms of scheduling. I'm not surprised ... this happens most every year (you know me ... I still think this is aided by the Rooney/Goodell thing). Anyway, first, they get 3 home games in a row. Does any other team get that? Also, they play the Patriots 10 days after us ... not 3. That is a BIG advantage for them. Goodell cannot determine the schedule to help his Steelers ... but he sure has input in giving them the best possible scenario under the circumstances. And ... once again ... they get 3 Primetime Games ... with the majority being at home. Happens all the time.

Also, they play the Patriots 10 days after us ... not 3.

Ah, my bad. But I still think that's a nasty stretch, and a lousy place to have to face us, especially in Pitt since we seem to trade away wins a lot. As for the 3-game homestand, yeah, that happens. Bengals don't get one this season, but they do get home games before and after the bye, which is almost as nice. They also play 4 of the first 6 away, but then have 6 home games and a bye over the last 11 weeks.

I don't share the optimism. Whenever a schedule is released the very first thing I look for is the opportunity for a team to start fast. On that front, the Bengals start the season on the road, play four of their first six on the road, and both home games are against 10-win teams. That's hardly a recipe for starting fast, and if the Bengals can't manage that trick there's a strong risk this team will follow Chad Johnson down the drain.

My first blush guess of 10 wins was based on this:

I think they can be 2-2 out of the gate and 4-3 heading into the bye.

if that, then I think they can be 8-5 heading into the last three and take two out of three from there for 10-6.

Yeah, mark me down for 10-6.

Still too early for season predictions IMO but breaking down the sked...

Sun., Sept. 7, at Baltimore, 1 p.m. -- swept Balti last season, Ravens didn't do anything in FA, Ogden probably gone and will either start a rookie QB or the 5,000-year-old McNair

Sun., Sept. 14, TENNESSEE, 1 p.m. -- beat these guys like a drum last year and Titans have done nothing but bleed talent in the offseason.

Sun., Sept. 21, at N.Y. Giants, 1 p.m. -- must give champs their due, but NYG were up and down last year until the playoffs, have lost some players, will have the super bowl hangover, we'll see how they come out.

Sun., Sept. 28, CLEVELAND, 1 p.m. -- split with them last season, year the got Rogers but lost Chad-killer Bodden and don't have a draft pick until the 4th round.

Sun., Oct. 5, at Dallas, 4:15 p.m. -- first big test of how good (or bad) the '08 Bengals are?

Sun., Oct. 12, at N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m. -- not likely to be a very good team this year.

Sun., Oct. 19, PITTSBURGH, 1 p.m. -- it's at PBS so we probably lose.

Sun., Oct. 26, (BYE)

Sun., Nov. 2, JACKSONVILLE, 1 p.m. -- at least we get them at home. Well see if Garrard is worth $60 million.

Sun., Nov. 9, at Houston, 1 p.m. -- I don't think they've beat us yet, so we got that going for us.

Sun., Nov. 16, PHILADELPHIA*, 1 p.m. -- Not sold on this team being any good this year.

Thurs., Nov. 20, at Pittsburgh (NFL NETWORK), 8:15 p.m. -- Heinz Field, prime time, Bengals are a lock.

Sun., Nov. 30, BALTIMORE*, 1 p.m. -- see week one.

Sun., Dec. 7, at Indianapolis*, 1 p.m. -- probably not.

Sun., Dec. 14, WASHINGTON*, 1 p.m. -- another overrated team.

Sun., Dec. 21, at Cleveland*, 1 p.m. -- see week 4.

Sun., Dec. 28, KANSAS CITY*, 1 p.m. -- again? probably depends on whether either team has anything to play for.

Unless Marvin can somehow gain control of the team and get them to play disciplined football, I see another 8-8, maybe 7-9 year. Somehow this team always loses one or two during the year that they just shouldn't lose.

Still too early for season predictions IMO but breaking down the sked...

Sun., Sept. 7, at Baltimore, 1 p.m. -- swept Balti last season, Ravens didn't do anything in FA, Ogden probably gone and will either start a rookie QB or the 5,000-year-old McNair

New Head coach, QB situation still in flux, good for us

Sun., Sept. 14, TENNESSEE, 1 p.m. -- beat these guys like a drum last year and Titans have done nothing but bleed talent in the offseason.

ditto

Sun., Sept. 21, at N.Y. Giants, 1 p.m. -- must give champs their due, but NYG were up and down last year until the playoffs, have lost some players, will have the super bowl hangover, we'll see how they come out.

Catching them early may be a benefit while they are still on the speaker's circuit

Sun., Sept. 28, CLEVELAND, 1 p.m. -- split with them last season, year the got Rogers but lost Chad-killer Bodden and don't have a draft pick until the 4th round.

Ditto Lee Bodden. Remember Ocho Cinco is always open unless your name is Lee Bodden. Wonder if Chad is happy?

Sun., Oct. 5, at Dallas, 4:15 p.m. -- first big test of how good (or bad) the '08 Bengals are?

Good test for certain and hopefully they are healthier after the first four than they have been the last couple of years. The TO/Chad yap-fest may eclipse anything we've seen before though.

Sun., Oct. 12, at N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m. -- not likely to be a very good team this year.

We probably don't need any video tape to beat this group.

Sun., Oct. 19, PITTSBURGH, 1 p.m. -- it's at PBS so we probably lose.

Critical game heading into the bye. A win at home would be nice and give the group some confidence heading into the BYE week. It's only happened once vs. Steelers since PBS opened.

Sun., Oct. 26, (BYE)

Well placed in middle of season instead of after fourth game.

Sun., Nov. 2, JACKSONVILLE, 1 p.m. -- at least we get them at home. Well see if Garrard is worth $60 million. Home game gives us advantage but run defense better be ready. Another measuring stick game.

Sun., Nov. 9, at Houston, 1 p.m. -- I don't think they've beat us yet, so we got that going for us.

There's always that first time. This looks like a trap game to me.

Sun., Nov. 16, PHILADELPHIA*, 1 p.m. -- Not sold on this team being any good this year.

Not sure what to expect from Eagles this year.

Thurs., Nov. 20, at Pittsburgh (NFL NETWORK), 8:15 p.m. -- Heinz Field, prime time, Bengals are a lock.

Just played them five weeks earlier but I don't like the short week.

Sun., Nov. 30, BALTIMORE*, 1 p.m. -- see week one. Maybe Troy Smith will be running the O by then.

Sun., Dec. 7, at Indianapolis*, 1 p.m. -- probably not. We are due against these guys but I don't think we are in their class.

Sun., Dec. 14, WASHINGTON*, 1 p.m. -- another overrated team. Jim Zorn as HC? Was this guy even a coordinator before getting this job?

Sun., Dec. 21, at Cleveland*, 1 p.m. -- see week 4. Cleveland in December. Brings back some memories to the PB days. Who's the contender and who is the pretender at this point?

Sun., Dec. 28, KANSAS CITY*, 1 p.m. -- again? probably depends on whether either team has anything to play for. Have we played Kansas City every year for the last decade? Sure seems that way. Maybe they'll bring Vermeil out to cry before the game or something. Hopefully we'll be getting ready for the next week entering this one.

Other observations: The furthest west that we travel this year is Dallas. I think that is a big deal since we went to SF and Seattle last year.