Enquirer Mock Draft-04/13/2008

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0436/1078/COL02

Curnutte has the Bengals selecting Sedrick Ellis at No. 9.

"9. Cincinnati Bengals Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal

A harmonic convergence of sorts, where the Bengals' biggest need meets the best player available in Ellis, who shed 11 pounds and showed added speed for his pro day workout. Bringing in such a defensive tackle far outweighs any need for a wide receiver after Chris Henry's release.

(Previous: Ellis)"

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0436/1078/COL02

Curnutte has the Bengals selecting Sedrick Ellis at No. 9.

"9. Cincinnati Bengals Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal

A harmonic convergence of sorts, where the Bengals' biggest need meets the best player available in Ellis, who shed 11 pounds and showed added speed for his pro day workout. Bringing in such a defensive tackle far outweighs any need for a wide receiver after Chris Henry's release.

(Previous: Ellis)"

Be patient. t1_ellis.jpg He will come. :bengal:

Call me cynical, but just like Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson, something last minute will pop up and not let this happen. Most likely another team trading up to grab him. And it'll be someone on the schedule they have to play this year and he has a monster game reminding us all that when push comes to shove, the Bengals didn't do what was necessary to secure what they needed most.

Call me cynical, but just like Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson, something last minute will pop up and not let this happen. Most likely another team trading up to grab him. And it'll be someone on the schedule they have to play this year and he has a monster game reminding us all that when push comes to shove, the Bengals didn't do what was necessary to secure what they needed most.

Are you suggesting it will be the Bengals fault if Ellis is taken before the #9 pick? It would be idiotic for the Bengals to trade up to get a player that has a very real chance of dropping to them anyway.

Besides... as much as I want Ellis, it has been clearly demonstrated that the only position more likely to be a bust than a DT is a QB (and LB's are one of the least likely to be busts). If the Bengals don't get Ellis, they'll get someone else... possibly with a better likelihood of success.

It would be idiotic for the Bengals to trade up to get a player that has a very real chance of dropping to them anyway.

It depends on how you define "very real chance." I have a very real chance of being hit by lightning during a thunderstorm, but that very real chance is also very small. And I think the chance of Ellis being there at 9 is in the same league. If the Bengals decide to wheel and deal up on draft day to ensure Ellis lands in stripes, they've got my full support.