Utech signed!

Spor_tees

Utecht signed

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 14, 2008

RSS

3:50 p.m.

The Bengals are finally going to the pass-catching tight end but they may not know for a week if they've got a completion for the Colts' Ben Utecht.

His agent confirmed the club's agreement with the 6-6, 251-pound Utecht Friday, but as a restricted free agent he has to wait to see if Indianapolis matches the offer in the next seven days.

Not only would the Bengals get a tight end that has exceeded the numbers of any tight end they've had this decade, but it would mean they don't have to give up a draft pick for compensation or use a draft pick next month to draft one.

Utecht, who turns 27 before the season, caught 31 balls last year and 37 in 2006 and would form a formidable 1-2 combo with Reggie Kelly. Kelly, a blocking ace, has been the starter the last five seasons in which his best receiving years have been the last two with 21 in 2006 and 20 last season.

The Bengals haven't had a 30-catch season from a tight end since Tony McGee had 34 in 1997. While starting 13 games as the Colts' in-line blocking tight end this past season, Utecht also had a touchdown.

Christopher Murray, Utecht's agent, said last week that his client had been drawn to Cincinnati in large measure because of the presence of quarterback Carson Palmer. Palmer, no doubt, is going to welcome the big target in Utecht with the hope he'll be able to make hay underneath and force teams to get out of the deep zones that blanket wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmadzadeh.

Since running back Chris Perry's injuries robbed Palmer of his best underneath threat, his 2005 completion percentage of 67.8 percent dipped to 62.3 in 2006 and 64.9 in 2007.

Utecht, a restricted free agent out of Minnesota, has made 30 starts and played in 41 games in the shadow of Colts Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark.

Utech signed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utecht signed

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 14, 2008

RSS

3:50 p.m.

The Bengals are finally going to the pass-catching tight end but they may not know for a week if they've got a completion for the Colts' Ben Utecht.

His agent confirmed the club's agreement with the 6-6, 251-pound Utecht Friday, but as a restricted free agent he has to wait to see if Indianapolis matches the offer in the next seven days.

Not only would the Bengals get a tight end that has exceeded the numbers of any tight end they've had this decade, but it would mean they don't have to give up a draft pick for compensation or use a draft pick next month to draft one.

Utecht, who turns 27 before the season, caught 31 balls last year and 37 in 2006 and would form a formidable 1-2 combo with Reggie Kelly. Kelly, a blocking ace, has been the starter the last five seasons in which his best receiving years have been the last two with 21 in 2006 and 20 last season.

The Bengals haven't had a 30-catch season from a tight end since Tony McGee had 34 in 1997. While starting 13 games as the Colts' in-line blocking tight end this past season, Utecht also had a touchdown.

Christopher Murray, Utecht's agent, said last week that his client had been drawn to Cincinnati in large measure because of the presence of quarterback Carson Palmer. Palmer, no doubt, is going to welcome the big target in Utecht with the hope he'll be able to make hay underneath and force teams to get out of the deep zones that blanket wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmadzadeh.

Since running back Chris Perry's injuries robbed Palmer of his best underneath threat, his 2005 completion percentage of 67.8 percent dipped to 62.3 in 2006 and 64.9 in 2007.

Utecht, a restricted free agent out of Minnesota, has made 30 starts and played in 41 games in the shadow of Colts Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark.

Utech signed

That would be a great sign if it goes through.

Anyword if the Colts R going to match?

I would say no since they have Clark, I doubt they'd want to pay him anything above back-up money, but with the luck we're having this off-season, it wouldn't surprise me.

Not a bad pick up, the draft just keeps opening up

That was my first thought as well. As for Ben, he's an upgrade over Kelly IMO, but not an elite kind of guy. Still, he has the potential to be the best TE the Bengals have fielded in quite some time. Overall, good move.

I solid move if the Colt's don't match the offer. Not only does it further free up the draft, but Palmer admitted in post season interviews his interceptions were up last season due to injuries reducing the number of checkdown options available. Utech would immediately upgrade the move TE position, and with any luck Chatman can finally fill the slot role as planned.

I solid move if the Colt's don't match the offer. Not only does it further free up the draft, but Palmer admitted in post season interviews his interceptions were up last season due to injuries reducing the number of checkdown options available. Utech would immediately upgrade the move TE position, and with any luck Chatman can finally fill the slot role as planned.
Imagine another threat in the RedZone besides TJ!! Good pick-up if it works!!

Utecht signs offer sheet with Bengals

Today, March 14, 2008, 9 minutes ago | Mark

By Mark Curnutte

mcurnutte@enquirer.com

The Bengals today signed Colts tight end Ben Utecht to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent.

It is for a multi-year contract. Agent Chris Murray would not reveal the dollar amount. But there's another step in the process before Utecht would be a Bengal.

Indianapolis gave him a $967,000 one-year qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, which gives them one week to decide whether to match the offer sheet.

Utecht had 31 receptions for 364 yards (11.7-yard average) and one touchdown in 2007.

Career, he has 71 receptions and an 11.3-yard average with three touchdowns; 41 of his career receptions have resulted in first downs.

"We're very excited about it," Murray said of the Bengals' offer sheet. "It's what we consider above market for where he’s at. He has the potential to be a Dallas Clark-type player for Carson Palmer."

Clark is the Colts’ starting tight end and one of quarterback Peyton Manning’s favorite receivers.

With the Bengals, Utecht would provide a pass-receiving threat at tight end, complementing blocking-oriented starter Reggie Kelly.

The Bengals have two other tight ends under contract, Daniel Coats and Nate Lawrie.

Last month, in an interview with The Enquirer, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said the team was interested in finally drafting a receiving-oriented tight end. If the Colts chose not to match, the Bengals would not have to invest a draft pick in a tight end.

In 2007, Bengals tight ends combined for 32 receptions (Kelly, 20; Coats, 12) and no touchdowns.

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who tied for the NFL lead with 112 receptions, often ran routes similar to what many tight ends perform – short and over the middle.

The Colts already have received official documents of the Bengals' offer sheet for Utecht, Murray said.

There is no way the Colts can match this offer after having dumped big money on Dallas Clark, they will not tie up another 3 million on a backup TE. This allows us to focus heavily on the Defensive side of the ball, and allows us to draft for depth at RB,OL,WR on the offensive side of the ball on day 2 of the draft. This allows our first 4-5 picks to be defensive!

I actually like this signing even at 3mil per. The reason I say this the contract is reasonable in time (3yrs) and money when you consider what most starting good TE's are getting these days plus I think Ben can be a very good TE given the chance. (We didn't change OC, so I'm not sure he'll get the chance, unfortunately).

There is no way the Colts can match this offer after having dumped big money on Dallas Clark, they will not tie up another 3 million on a backup TE. This allows us to focus heavily on the Defensive side of the ball, and allows us to draft for depth at RB,OL,WR on the offensive side of the ball on day 2 of the draft. This allows our first 4-5 picks to be defensive!

Getting a young, proven TE via FA beats drafting one in the 3rd-7th round any day. This is a decent move by the Bengals and along with the Odom signing, a nice FA class for 2008. If this deal goes through, the draft is going to be more about upgrades than filling holes.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6687

Not a bad pick up, the draft just keeps opening up

That it does HT! My mind is boggled by the strides Cincinnati is taking this off season. It seems they are actually intent on addressing team needs! :o That being said, Indy still has the chance to kill this with a matching offer, but it still bodes well.

I cannot WAIT until draft day! :bengal:

"It's what we consider above market for where he’s at.

Yeah, I caught that, too. Don't worry, tho, I'm sure the Mikey-is-a-cheapskate crowd will find some way to wave it away. (My bet: "So he overspent once in 20 years on an average TE, big deal.")

The bit that interested me, from Hobs, was this:

I wonder if this spells the end for Perry. As we talked about long ago, there's only so many balls to go around. If you have a TE who can be relied on to catch the ball...

I wonder if this spells the end for Perry.

We can only hope to erase this draft day infamy with kicking his butt to the curb. Besides, it frees up a ton of space on the IR.

Get rid of Crystal Perry? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! but then who will keep the whirl pools occupied all season long? Then they will have to lay off medical staff for lack of work....it will all snowball from there....all with just getting rid of Crystal Perry

I wonder if this spells the end for Perry.

We can only hope to erase this draft day infamy with kicking his butt to the curb. Besides, it frees up a ton of space on the IR.

Get rid of Crystal Perry? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! but then who will keep the whirl pools occupied all season long? Then they will have to lay off medical staff personnel for lack of work....it will all snowball from there....all with getting rid of Crystal Perry

:lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

Love the signing as I definitely saw the TE position being addressed on day one and "IF" this goes unmatched, that is another day one pick that can be spent on the defensive overhaul !!! I will be looking forward (Hopefully) to seeing him in stripes. Sounds like he will be a good leader in the locker room as well...

WHODEY !!!