We need to look at a RB in round 2

icehole3

If for nothing else our Kick off return team needs someone back there as a threat and I think this year you can get a decent running back in round 2. We've got questions galore with the backs we got on the team right now. I like Watson but he's a backup, Dorsey's fumbles make you worry a little, Rudi even if he gets those legs together is on downhill side. Here's some guys that should be sitting there at round 2 and theyre all very very good.

Felix Jones, Arkansas

Height/Weight: 5'10/207

College Experience: Third-year junior

Combine Results: 4.47 forty, 8 X 225 lbs, 33" vertical, 10.4' broad jump, 4.19 short shuttle

Comparison: Laurence Maroney

Draft Projection: Late first to early second round

2007 Statistics: 133-1162-8.7-11 Tds, 16-176-11.0-0 Tds

Positives: Jones is a highly elusive outside runner. He scored four times in three years as a kickoff returner and averaged 31.3 yards per KR as a junior. Having playing behind Darren McFadden since 2005, Jones' legs are fresh. He makes one cut and gets vertical in a hurry. Jones flashed soft hands, good route running, and homerun ability after the catch at Arkansas.

Negatives: Jones is inexperienced as an every-down back and is not developed physically. He is small and could be run over by blitzing linebackers and strong safeties in the pros. Jones is a gambler and can be streaky as a ball carrier.

Verdict: Jones measured in at the Combine two inches shorter than his college listing. While there's little means to guage how he might fare as a future starter, his lack of an ideal build to fill out is discouraging. It's not out of the question that he will be something more, but the odds favor Jones having a career as a complementary piece, not a lead back.

Chris Johnson, East Carolina

Height/Weight: 5'11/197

College Experience: Fourth-year senior

Combine Results: 4.24 forty, 35" vertical, 10.1' broad jump

Comparison: Leon Washington

Draft Projection: Late second to mid-third round

2007 Statistics: 236-1423-6.0-17 Tds, 37-528-14.3-6 Tds

Positives/Negatives: From a straight-line standpoint, Johnson may be the fastest player in the NFL as a rookie. The four-year starter was used often as a slot receiver at ECU and catches the ball exceptionally well downfield. Few, if any, NFL defenders will tackle him from behind. A game breaking kick returner, Johnson led the nation in all-purpose yards per game as a senior (227.7). However, he had neck surgery in spring 2006 and missed a start that year with turf toe. He lacks good strength and is not an inside runner. Johnson is considered poor in pass protection and put the ball on the ground too much in college.

Verdict: He has a stringbean frame and isn't as elusive as Reggie Bush, who's failed as an every-down back in the pros. Johnson can be used in a number of ways, which increases his value, but is unlikely to ever be a full-time starter. Durability is a big concern. Johnson can be an explosive weapon, but his lack of ideal size and strength makes him no more than a change-of-pace/return prospect.

Jamaal Charles, Texas

Height/Weight: 5'11/200

College Experience: Third-year junior

Combine Results: 4.38 forty, 30" vertical, 4.22 short shuttle

Comparison: Jerious Norwood

Draft Projection: Late second to mid-third round

2007 Statistics: 258-1619-6.3-18 Tds, 17-199-11.7-0 Tds

Positives/Negatives: Charles can be a dancer behind the line of scrimmage, especially in short-yardage situations. He had fumbling issues throughout his Longhorns career and they cost him a chance to start in 2006. Charles has elite, galloping speed and burst, but isn't a punisher. His lean frame and high running style can leave Charles susceptible to big hits. He was an All Academic Big 12 honoree, so intelligence isn't an issue.

Verdict: Charles gave up track and improved markedly as a junior, but there are question marks about his ball security, size, and staying power in the NFL after an up-and-down college career. Somewhat like Chris Henry in 2007, Charles appears to be a boom-or-bust prospect that may never see the field consistently if he puts the ball on the ground in practice as a pro

HappyWave.gif

Perry was healthy at the end of the year but I think the kid is cursed, someone has a voodoo spell on him. Irons from what I saw was probably going to be still nursing that knee by the time training camp gets here, Marvin will probably put him on the pup list. Theyve got 10-11 picks this year this is the year to grab one IMO.

mobile.gif

Perry was healthy at the end of the year but I think the kid is cursed, someone has a voodoo spell on him. Irons from what I saw was probably going to be still nursing that knee by the time training camp gets here, Marvin will probably put him on the pup list. Theyve got 10-11 picks this year this is the year to grab one IMO.

mobile.gif

WOW, I didnt' realize they had that many picks this year. I agree then that this would be the year to grab one; but not for just a kick returner, but for a future every down back. I don't know that I would want to spend higher than a 3rd on one unless a stud was sitting there at there 2nd round pick, not with all the needs this team has on there d and o line.

with dede, rudi , watson , perry, and irons all on the roster. we can be productive from that position without drafting any RB's. there is just way to many holes in the front seven of our defense to pick any RB's that high. this defense is in real bad shape. the only LB's we have healthy are jones and some fodders. brooks, odell are question marks. we have really nothing there. the d-line also needs some help the only thing we have there is odom and geathers. peko is ok at best and thorton is just a waist of space. we need alot of help there too. just way way to many holes on defense to waist a pick on a RB unless it is mcfadden. no mcfadden no RB'S picked in the first 4 rounds.

with dede, rudi , watson , perry, and irons all on the roster. we can be productive from that position without drafting any RB's. there is just way to many holes in the front seven of our defense to pick any RB's that high. this defense is in real bad shape. the only LB's we have healthy are jones and some fodders. brooks, odell are question marks. we have really nothing there. the d-line also needs some help the only thing we have there is odom and geathers. peko is ok at best and thorton is just a waist of space. we need alot of help there too. just way way to many holes on defense to waist a pick on a RB unless it is mcfadden. no mcfadden no RB'S picked in the first 4 rounds.

We do have lots of bodies at RB, but not one that will concern an opponent as they will use their safeties to take away the pass and force us to win on the ground, you know, the way we were played last season. We need new blood at RB that can force defenses to play man to man, a RB that has speed and a threat to rip a few 30 yard gains in a game if the safeties are deep. The best weapon our defense will have this season is controlling the clock on O and limit the time the D is on the field. A game changing RB will do that. There are a few available in the draft, Stewart and Mendenhall are obvious, but its a deep draft at RB so we should help ourselves to one. Still if one of the top studs are available at DT in rd #1, take him. Rd #2 seems right for a RB.

I only like the drafting of a running back if we're cutting a few of the guys we already have. Irons probably won't be ready to play, but he ain't going anywhere. If Perry and Rudi are cut, we obviously need to draft someone. But other than that, I don't know if they'd add anything. DeDe's not ready to be a workhorse, but he provides a huge spark, and makes Perry very expendable.

Perry has been expendable since the moment they called his name in 2004

They need to stop acting like it all depends on Rudi, and start splitting the carries between he, Watson, and Dede evenly to keep everyone fresh.

I too was hoping that Irons would be ready for 2008 but it doesn't look like this will happen.

I think Dede and Watson can help as kickoff returners, tho I'd like to see Tab signed to a reasonable contract and then given the opportunity to claim the KR role he excelled at in 2005. If he can't do it....go with Holt and Dede/Watson.

I believe you'll see the Bengal draft a RB, but it'll be second day, and hopefully.....it'll be a fellow who has excellent measurables and has been productive when given the chance, but will have limited experience....in essence, a Shawn Andrews type

I agree we need to look at an RB, but I don't think it needs to be at any certain spot. It all depends on who is available at the time and what would be our best pick at that time.

I would not be too upset with a RB at round 2, but I think it can wait until a touch later. I am thinking I may like to see a WR come off the board for us a first. Especially if there is more to the Cj thing than we (the fans) think. We may also have a littel trouble extending TJ if he has another great year.

thought about WR, but the two guys Jackson and Kelley I dont know, Jackson is to little and Kelly is almost as big as a TE while the RBs McFadden and Mendenhall are big fast go the distance types. I love Mendenhall he's a bigger version of Parker for the Steelers. McFadden is a little smaller version of Peterson but he's a tough dude too, Ive seen him just absolutely throw CBs and safeties to the ground.

There is good RB value all the way down in r5-7. I'd take a guy like Tony Temple in r5 or r6 before I'd burn a high pick on these guys when we have desperate need for LB/DT/DE/OL depth.

Kenny, DeDe will be very productive if the OL is healthy. To think different is asinine.

this is a dumb thread.

There is good RB value all the way down in r5-7. I'd take a guy like Tony Temple in r5 or r6 before I'd burn a high pick on these guys when we have desperate need for LB/DT/DE/OL depth.

Kenny, DeDe will be very productive if the OL is healthy. To think different is asinine.

this is a dumb thread.

I have to agree. All these folks wanting a RB are forgetting the linemen are losing the war on the LOS. NO RB will succeed under this scenario!

I don't disagree, Billy - rather i am saying it would not be a bad idea to take a RB in later rounds, probably no earlier than r5.....as opposed to the OP's contention we should take one early.

Are you and Kingwilly suggesting we not take a RB at all, in any round? I think that'd be foolish considering the many uncertainties at this spot

I don't disagree, Billy - rather i am saying it would not be a bad idea to take a RB in later rounds, probably no earlier than r5.....as opposed to the OP's contention we should take one early.

Are you and Kingwilly suggesting we not take a RB at all, in any round? I think that'd be foolish considering the many uncertainties at this spot

NOT in the 1st 5 picks, but I like what Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey did last year given the circumstances. I have few qualms with who we have at this position.

this is a dumb thread.

I would take Tony Temple, that guy was a stud for MO though most people don't know that due to Chase Daniels at QB for them. I also really like Martin Rucker at TE, if he was there at one of the Bengals picks in Rounds 3 or 4 I would definitely want us to draft him!

If Matt Forte is there at the end of round 3 - grab him. Otherwise, grab Mike Hart, who blew up at the combine, in round 5.

I would really rather we didn't draft Mike Hart at all, wasn't impressed with him in college and seemed injury prone, something this team doesn't need at RB.

seemed injury prone, something this team doesn't need at RB.

True. We already have Chris Perry filling that role.

and unfortunately seemingly Kenny Irons already as well.

Irons gets a pass from me for now. If he spends the same amount of time on the injured list as Chrissy has, I'll rescind it, but that would be hard to do.

seemed injury prone, something this team doesn't need at RB.

True. We already have Chris Perry filling that role.

and unfortunately seemingly Kenny Irons already as well.

Irons gets a pass from me for now. If he spends the same amount of time on the injured list as Chrissy has, I'll rescind it, but that would be hard to do.

I just don't like it when players get hurt there rookie year; are out all year, then still not ready for training camp. That's why I had to label him injury prone as well. yeah it would be hard to spend as much time on there as Perry though, I really wish they would just release Perry.

I would have to agree with Bengalszone Billy, draft O-Line, D-Line and LBs all freaking draft day. Many RB's today are not the big names but the unknowns. I mean you get enough Beef on the O-Line and get the cohesive as a group any free agent can run behind him. We have plenty of potential at RB now, why not get more on the O-Line and D-Line and let them win the battle in the trenches.

Giants showed how a battle in the trenches could dictate a game in the Superbowl. The Browns invested over 100 mil on their D-Line. The division is going to be filled with big boys on the line, the Bengals should beef it up and forget about drafting any one under 230.

Just one mans opinion however.

I would have to agree with Bengalszone Billy, draft O-Line, D-Line and LBs all freaking draft day. Many RB's today are not the big names but the unknowns. I mean you get enough Beef on the O-Line and get the cohesive as a group any free agent can run behind him. We have plenty of potential at RB now, why not get more on the O-Line and D-Line and let them win the battle in the trenches.

Giants showed how a battle in the trenches could dictate a game in the Superbowl. The Browns invested over 100 mil on their D-Line. The division is going to be filled with big boys on the line, the Bengals should beef it up and forget about drafting any one under 230.

Just one mans opinion however.

Oh, I agree with this, however, this is a RB heavy draft, and I do feel we need to draft one to be our feature back in the near future, just with a late 2nd or later pick

I'd rather become a Championship team but that's just me. If that means using every draft pick this year for defense to beef it up so be it. There'll be superstar RB's next year or the year after, until then what we have will do.

'08 build a monster defense.

'09 Get a new OC and upgrade Offense.

2010 emerge as a serious team once again.