How does Rogers affect the draft?

mgi

Now that we have a DT signed for the next three years (currently--Hobson mentioned the Bengals are willing to renegotiate), how does this affect the draft? We lose our 3rd and 5th round picks.

So would it be a tragedy if we took McFadden if he fell? Then LB in the 2nd?

But now without Madeiu, is White ready to take over? I am interested in what people think will happen at safety between now and then.

Now that we have a DT signed for the next three years (currently--Hobson mentioned the Bengals are willing to renegotiate), how does this affect the draft? We lose our 3rd and 5th round picks.

But now without Madeiu, is White ready to take over? I am interested in what people think will happen at safety between now and then.

The Bengals are going to receive some compensatory picks hopefully a 3rd for Steinbech plus a few others. Ndukwe is going to be playing long before White is. What the Rodgers pick up does is hopefully take a little of the gamble out of retooling the defense, and gives the Bengals more leeway as to who they can draft and not have to reach for.

I think first, you decide if you have the guy you will develop to be the NT of the future, for whenever Rogers gets permanently suspended or his contract balloons out of control, whichever comes first.

The top candidate for that spot right now, I think is Peko. If so, you're set and you can focus the draft on other spots. You do start delivering free pizzas with extra cheese to Peko's house every night, though.

If they decide Peko ain't it, you have to figure on drafting the NT of the future. Because you have Rogers, you expect that gives you the luxury of developing a guy for a year or more, which means you can draft a guy who has all the athleticism and other qualities but lacks a few things, all of which are develop-able during the time you have Rogers. I think this means you can draft your future NT as late as r3 with the remaining compensatory pick, or r4 if you don't get the expected r3 compensatory pick

It does shift the focus at pick 9 to DE, OT, or LB.....with an outside chance of taking a S

I was thinking we take Kenny Phillips in the first if Vernon Gholston is gone and then Xavier Adibi in the second?????

I was thinking we take Kenny Phillips in the first if Vernon Gholston is gone and then Xavier Adibi in the second?????

I was definitely thinking Phillips if Gholston or Ellis is gone at 9. Maybe even trading down a little bit and we would most likely still be able to grab Phillips?

If I'm not mistaken (and some fellow poster with more time or a better memory can research this) teams are only allowed 11 draft picks....period.

The bungles were therefor up against the numbers and couldn't have traded down from the #9 pick and picked up additional picks without trading away some they already had.

Thus, a #3 and a #5 for Rogers and now the path is cleared should they decide to trade down if Ellis, Ghoulston, Dorsey etc... are gone when we come up. ;)

I was definitely thinking Phillips if Gholston or Ellis is gone at 9. Maybe even trading down a little bit and we would most likely still be able to grab Phillips?

Yeah we could trade down. For maybe a third?

Only impact I see on the draft is that, if Ellis and Dorsey are gone at 9, the Bengals don't have to reach for Balmer (sorry, Hair). But if either of the big two DTs are there, I happily take them and team them with Rogers.

No apologies needed, and I agree with you about Ellis and Dorsey. If they fall to #9 I'd make 'em Bengals in a heartbeat...then cut John Thornton before the next beat had sounded....and use his cap space somewhere else.

As for Kenny Phillips, no....I'm still not interested in him at #9.

If I'm not mistaken (and some fellow poster with more time or a better memory can research this) teams are only allowed 11 draft picks....period.

The bungles were therefor up against the numbers and couldn't have traded down from the #9 pick and picked up additional picks without trading away some they already had.

Thus, a #3 and a #5 for Rogers and now the path is cleared should they decide to trade down if Ellis, Ghoulston, Dorsey etc... are gone when we come up. ;)

Only thing I can find is that there is only 32 compensatory draft picks awarded each year. If things turn out right, the Bengals should end up with ATLEAST 3...I am guessing a 3rd, a 5th, and a 7th

Hopefully one of the two DTs is still there - get one! If not, DE/LB/tweener is fine with me. I'll leave it upto others to debate which one to get out of the plethora that seem to be available.

Trade down after that. If DMAC is there at #9. I still think JJ would be interested. One thing though, if we, for some reason, do go with a RB I hope for Mendenhall or Stewart above DMAC.

Just my horribly uninformed opinion....

Depends on whether we fill the RDE spot. Currently we'd probably put Geathers there and Fanene at LDE. Hopefully we can sign Odom at RDE, then draft Dorsey or Ellis at 9. Gholston would be fine if he's available too and we switched to a 3-4. Assuming those players are gone, I'd look to trade down a bit, gaining a 2nd rounder. If we drop to the 14-16 area, we might get Phillips, Connor, maybe the 3rd RB.

I wrote the following on Jan. 1 in a "what is the Bengals draft pick" thread:

Army, you are underestimating how glaring the need on offense is.

This will be an unusual off-season on this board for me as it appears Hoosier and I are in the same general area on philosophy with regard to what the approach of the team should be to the draft.

I underscore what I wrote above and echo Hoosier's sentiment above scooter's post.

Army, just drafting front 7 on defense will NOT help this team back to the playoffs in 2008. Figure some development time for the youngsters, and you are once again pouring time and effort into a side of the ball that has been WELL attended to in the last four drafts while praying for dividends that have been slow to show up. And if the offense continues to suffer because of the lack of attention? What then?

Best course of action are strategic free agent signings on the d-line and LB to bolster the years of draft picks and see if that cannot help them continue to improve (as we saw late in the year) and load up on offense in the draft where we can get a far more immediate impact from the picks.

To continue to ignore the offense and its needs is absolute folly. Madness.

ETA: If a stud d-tackle and d-end is available at #9, the Bengals should go that route, IMO. But if they are gone? I sure as hell hope they don't reach for one and pass up prime talent that fits the slot. And, if the Bengals do address the d-line in the first round? Then I will be begging them to unload on offense the rest of the first day of the draft.

Yup. Def stand by what I wrote then. Got their stud DT in free agency? Check. By all means, turn their attention back to offense then, if the right player is there in the first round. 100%.

I wrote the following on Jan. 1 is a "what is the Bengals draft pick" thread:

Army, you are underestimating how glaring the need on offense is.

This will be an unusual off-season on this board for me as it appears Hoosier and I are in the same general area on philosophy with regard to what the approach of the team should be to the draft.

I underscore what I wrote above and echo Hoosier's sentiment above scooter's post.

Army, just drafting front 7 on defense will NOT help this team back to the playoffs in 2008. Figure some development time for the youngsters, and you are once again pouring time and effort into a side of the ball that has been WELL attended to in the last four drafts while praying for dividends that have been slow to show up. And if the offense continues to suffer because of the lack of attention? What then?

Best course of action are strategic free agent signings on the d-line and LB to bolster the years of draft picks and see if that cannot help them continue to improve (as we saw late in the year) and load up on offense in the draft where we can get a far more immediate impact from the picks.

To continue to ignore the offense and its needs is absolute folly. Madness.

ETA: If a stud d-tackle and d-end is available at #9, the Bengals should go that route, IMO. But if they are gone? I sure as hell hope they don't reach for one and pass up prime talent that fits the slot. And, if the Bengals do address the d-line in the first round? Then I will be begging them to unload on offense the rest of the first day of the draft.

Yup. Def stand by what I wrote then. Got their stud DT in free agency? Check. By all means, turn their attention back to offense then, if the right player is there in the first round. 100%.

You are an Oracle...my props.

I would put it slightly different though, and I think I have over the last few days. This pickup underlines their draft is all about BPA, Best Player Available, other than QB, at #9.

In this draft I think they'll find the BPA in OT, RB and DE, just depends on what happens in picks 1-8. If they cannot sign Stacy longterm, then it kind of forces them to look hard at OT in every round.

Incidentally, if I remember right, Marvin said he won't address RB in FA. He also said upgrading RB is a big need, so the draft is it.