Madieu gone

Variety

Finally, i guess. Go underachieve somewhere else. He will sign a contract with the Vikings (6yrs, 33 mil.).

The four-year veteran safety has agreed on parameters on a six-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings and is on a plane now headed to Minneapolis, agent Kenny Zuckerman said late this morning.

Let the Ndukwe + White era begin! B)

Finally, i guess. Go underachieve somewhere else. He will sign a contract with the Vikings (6yrs, 33 mil.).

The four-year veteran safety has agreed on parameters on a six-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings and is on a plane now headed to Minneapolis, agent Kenny Zuckerman said late this morning.

Let the Ndukwe + White era begin! B)

One good year out of Madieu. Injury plagued the rest - Not worth that kind of money IMO. Good Luck Madieu.

For whatever it might be worth, a poster on GoBengals said he had spoken to someone working for Madieu's charity foundation, and that person claimed the Bengals had made it pretty clear to Williams that they weren't seriously interested in retaining him. As I had come to the same conclusion somewhere around week 4 of last season I wasn't very disappointed. In fact, it's hard to remember the last time I was really impressed with Madieu's play.

Last point. Anyone who has lived through the Bengals previous adventures of flipping back and forth between defensive schemes should be familiar with the way they signal a change is in the works by casting off their starting safeties like so much dead skin. In fact, I can still recall the way the Bengals defended their decision to let Darryl Williams walk away in his prime by stating..."You can't pay millions of dollars to a FS who'll always be lined up 20 yards behind the LOS."

I have no problem with letting Madieu walk or Justin Smith for that matter. Both have largely underacheived while wearing stripes imo.

The point is that both are going to have to be replaced on our roster. We're going to need another Safety and soon we'll no doubt need another DE. Where are these players going to come from? FA? doubtful.

With the kind of money teams like the Raiders, Fins and Vikings are throwing around any decent player who can start will demand mega-contracts like these teams are dooling out.

And we already know SoP doesn't play that game.

It's gonna' be another long off-season bungle fans, leading to another 7-9 campaign or worse next year. Ain't we got fun? :rolleyes:

Hobson has some numbers:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6665

$13 million in guaranteed coin, $17 million over the 1st 3 years.

Wow. Six years, 34 million. That's a 5.6 million dollar per season average.

Am I wrong or is the cost to franchise tag a safety for a season is a million dollars less than that?

Sheesh.

Okay, I'm over it. I've shrugged my shoulders.

Time to move on.

So, we're looking at a 4th round comp pick for next years draft, right?

I have no problem with letting Madieu walk or Justin Smith for that matter. Both have largely underacheived while wearing stripes imo.

The point is that both are going to have to be replaced on our roster. We're going to need another Safety and soon we'll no doubt need another DE. Where are these players going to come from? FA? doubtful.

Well, some of the loudest criticism leveled at the Bengals in the recent past has to do with their history of overpaying for their own underachieving talent. Should they look the other direction as Madieu, Justin, and Landon all leave for greener pastures the Bengals could very easily find themselves with three comp picks in next years draft.

Just for arguments sake I'd say you could pencil in extra picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.

It's sad that there isn't one player on defense that is worth keeping, but at least the Bengals seem to realize it. This is going to be a very defensive draft. Smith and Williams never really did anything. Hopefully a young secondary can be built around.

Its a Rebuilding year, at least on defense. Losing 3 starters before the preseason injuries start.

I see them as a rebuilding franchise for the next 2 years. But at least they will have lots of extra draft picks to use. That is some genius, the compensatory draft picks. Getting paid to let your vets go, what an idea.

Well, some of the loudest criticism leveled at the Bengals in the recent past has to do with their history of overpaying for their own underachieving talent. Should they look the other direction as Madieu, Justin, and Landon all leave for greener pastures the Bengals could very easily find themselves with three comp picks in next years draft.

Just for arguments sake I'd say you could pencil in extra picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.

Agreed, which as I say, is why I don't mind seeing these guys leave. What bothers me is that we won't find decent, veterans to fill their spots. We'll either be forced to spend valuable draft picks in these areas or simply go without for another season until someone else comes along. Using draft picks means rookies with the usual learning curves attached. We're not likely to go from 30th in defense to 20th or better adding several rookie defensive players to our current defensive line-up.

SoP simply won't pay for young, proven veterans to compliment his team. The bungles seem to be stuck in a perpetual rebuilding phase especially when it comes to our defense. It would just be nice to see him break out the ole' check book and sign one or two really good free agents and then draft somebody with the #9 pick and go into next season with a reasonable chance to improve our team is all. :bengal:

That is some genius, the compensatory draft picks. Getting paid to let your vets go, what an idea.

It's hardly ideal, but over the last couple of seasons it's been fairly common for teams like the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots to pocket multiple comp picks in exactly the same manner. And since the value of comp picks is based upon contract size, not productivity, the strategy begins to look even more attractive now that marginal players routinely break the bank in free agency

Its a Rebuilding year, at least on defense.

I see them as a rebuilding franchise for the next 2 years.

Aside from 2005, when have the Bengals NOT been rebuilding?

We're not likely to go from 30th in defense to 20th or better adding several rookie defensive players to our current defensive line-up.

It is what it is. If the Bengals really do pocket three comp picks next season they could easily find themselves with 19 or 20 draft picks spread over this year and the next. That's not a bad thing for a team intent on blowing things up OR possibly switching schemes. As for turning things around quickly, it doesn't happen often but some teams manage the trick. For example, the Packers blew up their roster two years ago and quickly became one of the NFL's best and youngest teams.

It would just be nice to see him break out the ole' check book and sign one or two really good free agents and then draft somebody with the #9 pick and go into next season with a reasonable chance to improve our team is all.

I don't disagree. That said, I can't shake my feeling that shopping in free agency is a tactic of last resort.

Nice to know you Madieu, your a good dude and a leader (who is setting a great example for his little brother, Madieu has custody of him). I'm happy for Williams getting paid and I'm happy that the Bengals are moving on...

Maybe we starting thinking about drafting a safety at #9. The Bengals haven't spent a #1 pick on a safety in as long as I can remember???

I don't disagree. That said, I can't shake my feeling that shopping in free agency is a tactic of last resort.

The problem is for the bungles it not a resort at all.

I'd have more confidence in this team and it's efforts to rebuild itself once again if it had a half-way decent player personel dept. :rolleyes:

The rebuild won't take as long. If you have a great QB, it makes everything easier.

Tell that to Dan Marino.