We just signed.

combatbengal

For a more serious answer, the Bengals do not traditionally sign anyone until the (big money) smoke clears, which usually takes just under a week

So no, I don't see any signings early on, although - supposedly we have a very small window to sign Dhani Jones, due to some obscure rule about resigning vested veterans coming off a one year contract....and oddly, I haven't heard anything about this fairly important matter - he is arguably (I like Landon a bit more) the most important FA we should try to retain - since it was originally mentioned by Hobson a week or two back. Hobson I recall sorta dismissed it along the lines of "he intends to sign as soon as the special period starts" - but I haven't heard of any such signing!

Just FYI, Curnutte has the numbers on both deals...combined cap hit for this year would be a smidge over $2m.

Defensive end Jonathan Fanene has shown the Bengals something. Thanks to agents Andy Simms and Dave Lee of PlayersRep Sports, Fanene will earn $2 million in the first year of his three-year contract signed Tuesday.

Fanene received $750,000 to sign and can earn a $50,000 workout bonus and $300,000 reporting bonus. His base salary for 2008 is $900,000.

His size, 295 pounds, and quickness make his a potential end in the 3-4 defensive scheme that appears to be the future for the Bengals.

In his second and third years, Fanene's base salaries will be $1,150,000 with $50,000 workout bonuses.

Fanene, who will be a fourth-year player this season, played in 14 games (no starts) for the Bengals in 2007, recording six tackles, one sack, one fumble recovery and two passes broken-up. Slowed by hamstring injuries, Fanene had played in just seven games his first two seasons. He was the Bengals' seventh-round draft pick (233 overall) in 2005.

Friday, during an interview at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he is looking for Fanene and third-year end Frostee Rucker to compete for playing time and contribute in 2008.

The money the Bengals have invested in Fanene suggests they're looking for a great deal of production from him.

The other contract signed Tuesday by a Bengals player was wide receiver Antonio Chatman's two-year deal. He will get $620,000 base salaries in 2008 and 2009. His signing bonus is $200,000. Chatman's workout bonuses will be $20,000 this year and $25,000 in 2009.