Wave bye bye to Gholston

DuffMan

I just watched Gholston bench 225lb 37 times at the combine...if he has a remotely fast 40 I'm thinking our chances of getting him are vanishing quickly.

Ellis did 34.

Harvey was 6-5 291...wow...

Rivers was 241.

E. Henderson was 244.

K. Philips was 6-2 212.

Oh, and McFadden ran 4.27/4.33, so maybe we won't have to worry about him. Mendenhall also ran mid 4.3ish.

Haha, d*mn you nfl network...well 271 is still decent size for a 4-3 DE if we stay there.

Yeah, he's Justin Smith with a few more pass rush moves (tho some talk about him being a rush OLB in the Willie McGinest mold, but he seems much more suited to 4-3 end to me). No. 9 is still a bit high for him -- not a lot, but "Levi Jones high," i.e. 3-5 slots. Enough to get Kiper grousing, in other words.

Barring anything unforeseen happening in the top 8 I have him pencilled in to the No. 9 slot now. Other possibilities:

Calais Campbell: was a popular pick for us early, has slipped down the boards for no real reason, weighs in at 290 with a wingspan that rivals Rodan's. Could play inside in a 4-3 or as an end in a 3-4.

Keith Rivers: could be the first LB off the board. Instant replacement & upgrade for Landon on the weak side.

Dan Connor: if they have no faith in Odell or he blows up between now and April, guy is tailor-made for the middle.

Kentwan Balmer: would be another reach but after him DT quality falls off drastically. Says he could play and did play in college some 3-4 but is probably best as a 4-3 DT.

I think you can bank on it being one of those five guys.

Harvey also put up 31 on the bench, I see his stock going up and maybe peeking into the top-10 and maybe bengals territory. He certainly would be the best fit position-wise, especially is he does well in drills standing up. Trevor Laws was impressive too with 35 reps, wouldn't rule him out in the 2nd if his stock keeps going up.

Hoosier, you are assuming both Sedrick Ellis -AND- Glenn Dorsey are gone by 9?

I think we all are, since Ellis appears to be going nowhere but up and Dorsey has injury concerns, but he played all last season with a stress fracture and doesn't seem to be too bothered by it. I heard some interesting analysis that after the Giants SB win teams are really recognizing the value of good linemen who can get in the backfield.

Miami, St. Louis, Oakland, NY, and NE could all look at the top DLinemen, opening up the possibility for us getting screwed.

Hoosier, you are assuming both Sedrick Ellis -AND- Glenn Dorsey are gone by 9?

I think we all are, since Ellis appears to be going nowhere but up and Dorsey has injury concerns, but he played all last season with a stress fracture and doesn't seem to be too bothered by it. I heard some interesting analysis that after the Giants SB win teams are really recognizing the value of good linemen who can get in the backfield.

Miami, St. Louis, Oakland, NY, and NE could all look at the top DLinemen, opening up the possibility for us getting screwed.

Ditto.

I dunno.

The injury/fracture/whatever appears to have occurred in 2006, and he played at a high level for all of 2007.

I think this is a case of some team wanting to draft him, but lacking a sufficiently high pick, doing what they can to drum up fear in other teams ahead of them so he will slide....to them

Being sent to the hospital for further testing seems a bit more than some low-ranking team wanting to blow some smoke. Either it turns out to be nothing and he still goes before us (my bet), or it's a problem and we should look elsewhere. We'll know soon enough.

Yeah, he's Justin Smith with a few more pass rush moves (tho some talk about him being a rush OLB in the Willie McGinest mold, but he seems much more suited to 4-3 end to me). No. 9 is still a bit high for him -- not a lot, but "Levi Jones high," i.e. 3-5 slots. Enough to get Kiper grousing, in other words.

Screw Kiper. In his world there's rarely justification for reaching, even if it's just a few spots, because there's always a team willing to trade up or down. In reality that rarely happens. As for Harvey, I've been really cool on the idea of drafting him at #9, and I still don't like that option as well as others. However, the weight gain eased my concerns somewhat....because unlike other prospects his pass rush skills are a given.

Calais Campbell: was a popular pick for us early, has slipped down the boards for no real reason, weighs in at 290 with a wingspan that rivals Rodan's. Could play inside in a 4-3 or as an end in a 3-4.

I'd say there are plenty of real reasons...not the least being the fact that he's more prospect than player right now. With that body it's fair to say he's got more upside than almost any prospect who might go at #9. That said, IMHO there's also more bust risk.

Keith Rivers: could be the first LB off the board. Instant replacement & upgrade for Landon on the weak side.

The upside probably isn't as high as you'd like, but he just might be the safest pick the Bengals could make.

Kentwan Balmer: would be another reach but after him DT quality falls off drastically. Says he could play and did play in college some 3-4 but is probably best as a 4-3 DT.

My favorite darkhorse. Had he not been injured during Senior Bowl weekend I think he'd really be making some noise right now.

The upside probably isn't as high as you'd like, but he just might be the safest pick the Bengals could make.

Agreed, and that's probably why I've been warming to the idea of Rivers. I don't love it, at least not yet, but baring injury I don't see any way he busts. And there ought to be a few good DE and DT prospects the Bengals could grab in the second (Lawrence Jackson? Red Bryant?) especially if they are willing to do as you suggest elsewhere and part with their 4th to scoot up a few picks.

Agreed, and that's probably why I've been warming to the idea of Rivers. I don't love it, at least not yet, but baring injury I don't see any way he busts. And there ought to be a few good DE and DT prospects the Bengals could grab in the second (Lawrence Jackson? Red Bryant?) especially if they are willing to do as you suggest elsewhere and part with their 4th to scoot up a few picks.

WHAT !!! :blowup2:

Please . . . say it ain't so....in the best year in ages for DL, and arguably the worst in a decade for LB, you guys would pick a LB???

Patrick Willis was the 11th pick last year, and his measurables blew Rivers (& Connors) away.

If we get a LB in the 1st 50 picks, it needs to be a guy who played DE in college - Gholston or Harvey in the 1st, Henderson or Groves in the 2nd, etc.)

If we need a LB, we can get Mayo or Lofton or Wheeler in the 3rd.

Please . . . say it ain't so....in the best year in ages for DL, and arguably the worst in a decade for LB, you guys would pick a LB???

It's exactly because it's the best year in ages for DL that LB opens up. Rivers is a sure solid 10-year starter, minimum, while the blue-chip DEs and DTs look to be gone by 9. But because the DL class is deep there's still quality to be had in the second round. Meanwhile, if you need backers, and we clearly do, this is a year in which it's a case of, the earlier the better.

I'm actually not that worried about our linebacker situation at this point. Jeanty, Brooks, and Jones look likely to start. The question marks would be re-signing Dhani, which shouldn't be too hard, and Ahmad's health which is a question mark but he's been working out. Landon will probably leave, along with Caleb. We might bring back Wilkins for teams. We should know if Pollack is returning before the draft and maybe have a decision on Odell by then.

A corps of Jeanty, Brooks, Jones, Henderson, Thurman, Schlegel, Pollack, Wilkins, and a rookie doesn't look bad. Pollack might be a DE if he comes back at all. The rookie could be a second day pick for depth. Heck Lemar Marshall played well before getting hurt and deserves a chance if he's healthy. Worse comes to worse, bring in a vet like Al Wilson on a 1 year cheap deal.

I think Rivers is the best LB in this draft by far, but I haven't pimped him. All I said is he's probably the safest pick the Bengals could make. In fact, I'd put his chances of busting somewhere around zero.

I think Rivers is the best LB in this draft by far, but I haven't pimped him. All I said is he's probably the safest pick the Bengals could make. In fact, I'd put his chances of busting somewhere around zero.

And that's the case for Rivers in a nutshell. He's like walking out of Let's Make A Deal with $500 in your pocket because you didn't take Monty's double-or-nothing dare. Yeah, you could have hit the jackpot -- OTOH you walk away ahead of the house.

And that's the case for Rivers in a nutshell. He's like walking out of Let's Make A Deal with $500 in your pocket because you didn't take Monty's double-or-nothing dare. Yeah, you could have hit the jackpot -- OTOH you walk away ahead of the house.

Sorry, gentle-beings, but I beg to differ. If we keep the 9th overall pick, and spend the kind of (guaranteed) money a top ten pick will command - we need a DIFFERENCE MAKER. Rivers may be a 'safe' pick, but he's NOT a top ten talent - a 40 time north of 4.7, and a bothersome ankle drop him to the end of round 1. The NFL teams who's rosters are filled with "safe picks" are more likely to be picking in the top ten year after year.

If the 5 linemen this forum covets (Long, Long, Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston) are all gone, then we must get an impact player - any position but QB. We can always get a DE / OLB in the 2nd or 3rd, or a project in the 4th - 5th.

NOTE: (From Walter Cheripinski) -

Glenn Dorsey, LSU

Height: 6-1. Weight: 297.

Glenn Dorsey did not work out. In fact, he was rushed to the hospital so doctors could perform tests on his knees. This isn't anything new. This didn't just happen. Dorsey has had knee problems the past two years. I know he managed to play through the pain, but who's to say his knees won't get any worse? If you're a team in the top five, and you're thinking about taking Dorsey, and two or three other prospects, the former's knees will probably be the tie-breaker. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dorsey dropped all the way down to No. 9.

Now there's a differnce maker !!!