Justin a Niner?

HoosierCat

From da site...

NINERS FOR NO. 90? An NFC source said Sunday he expects Bengals right end Justin Smith to go to the 49ers in free agency ("They were working on the deal last night," the source said), but he's shocked Mike Nolan is going to make Smith a 3-4 end, as well as drop him in coverage.

At 270 pounds, Smith has been relentless and good against the run during his seven seasons in Cincinnati but this source has some doubt he can hold up in a 3-4. Still, Smith is going to give surpreme effort wherever he plays and that can overcome plenty.

Justin a 3-4 end? Don't see it but whatever...

From da site...

NINERS FOR NO. 90? An NFC source said Sunday he expects Bengals right end Justin Smith to go to the 49ers in free agency ("They were working on the deal last night," the source said), but he's shocked Mike Nolan is going to make Smith a 3-4 end, as well as drop him in coverage.

At 270 pounds, Smith has been relentless and good against the run during his seven seasons in Cincinnati but this source has some doubt he can hold up in a 3-4. Still, Smith is going to give surpreme effort wherever he plays and that can overcome plenty.

Me either. Depends which side - weak side would be a little odd, but strong side wouldn't make any sense at all.

From da site...

No doubt he's gone. Kind of unfortunate as it would be nice to keep JSmith and draft a super stud like JStewart, all 235 lb and 4.4 speed of him, to replace Rudi.

Madieu will be gone.

Landon will be gone.

Anybody doubt this will be a defensive heavy draft in rounds 1-3 as we replace 3 starters? So far Marvin is keeping his promise to blow things up.

From da site...

Anybody doubt this will be a defensive heavy draft in rounds 1-3 as we replace 3 starters? So far Marvin is keeping his promise to blow things up.

I hope an O-lineman is taken with one of first three picks. Nice dpeth this year. But year, it will be and should a defense heavy draft early on, IMO. Not in terms of safety or LB either but linemen hopefully.

This could be greatly helped by dipping into the FA market in something approaching a meaningful way too. But let's take it one step at a time.

Let's at least have a stab at trying to make an average to middling defense before it's time to completely rebuild the offense again.

Is there a bidding war brewing for Justin? Draftdaddy.com reports from the combine...

Look for defensive end Jevon Kearse too get a lot of action when he's released by Philadelphia, but he is not going to get much money from anyone. Jacksonville and Tennessee keep getting mentioned because most think his agent Drew Rosenhaus knows that is where all the cap money lies this year. Both teams need defensive ends, but we have heard Justin Smith is the guy they both really want.

Justin getting more play than Jevon? :huh:

Justin will go sign with another team and probably make the Pro Bowl.

If he gets 4 or 5 sacks this year (wherever he's playing) he could certainly be a contender for the comeback player of the year.

IMHO all Justin needs is another DL player capable of putting pressure on the opposing QB along side of him, and he will shine.

Justin will go sign with another team and probably make the Pro Bowl.

If he gets 4 or 5 sacks this year (wherever he's playing) he could certainly be a contender for the comeback player of the year.

IMHO all Justin needs is another DL player capable of putting pressure on the opposing QB along side of him, and he will shine.

Hey no doubt. This year, what 8 weeks without a decent linebacker? Neither JSmith nor Geathers did much this season, because no heat was ever coming from the LB's, so pinch off the ends and have a nice day.

In SF there is Patrick Willis. Together they can get some sacks.

Um. Until the Bengals get rid of Thornton and Robinson, Geathers and/or Smith will struggle. I'm fairly certain that the consistent problem is with the DL, not the LBs. When is the last time the Bengals had a dominant force on the DL? Krumrie?

Actually, the Bengals' LB's and their system and coach stunk too. Justin Smith was Cincinnati fan's "white hustle guy" and some of them have a hard time letting go. But even 2 sacks and hardly any TFL and only 2 turnover related plays has the die hards easing up on their boners for him. Joe Pong thinks he'll go to the Pro Bowl for the Niners. I would like to put money on that.

They do need a disruptive DT in the worst way, but also a stud LB or two, and now a DE, just as badly.

Um. Until the Bengals get rid of Thornton and Robinson, Geathers and/or Smith will struggle. I'm fairly certain that the consistent problem is with the DL, not the LBs. When is the last time the Bengals had a dominant force on the DL? Krumrie?

Actually, the Bengals' LB's and their system and coach stunk too. Justin Smith was Cincinnati fan's "white hustle guy" and some of them have a hard time letting go. But even 2 sacks and hardly any TFL and only 2 turnover related plays has the die hards easing up on their boners for him. Joe Pong thinks he'll go to the Pro Bowl for the Niners. I would like to put money on that.

They do need a disruptive DT in the worst way, but also a stud LB or two, and now a DE, just as badly.

True. It says alot about the state of the defense when Dhani Jones could come in and be one of the best players. I would just like to see the Bengals blow up the defense beginning with the DL. And as much as I like and respect Landon Johnson and Madieu Williams, if letting them go means change...I'm all for it. Justin Smith? Great "motor" or whatever...just let him go. I don't care if he does become an all-pro somewhere else, the point is that he will not achieve anything greater than what he has already done with the Bengals.

Justin Smith in the Pro Bowl I have heard it all now, he's a hustle guy so he gets tackles there not in the backfield but they are tackles. Now Justin is suffering because he has inferior linemen around him, I agree the linemen are not that impressive but he is one of them, he's not beating the one on one block basically you are telling me that he has to be unblocked because they are trying to stop someone else from getting in for him to get to the quarterback consistently. Every defensive end in the league could get to the quarterback if he was unblocked, these guys will see a highlight of him making a sack and will be on the board saying I told you so. I say Justin will have six sacks at the most next year, getting to the quarterback is just not his thing.

Justin Smith in the Pro Bowl I have heard it all now, he's a hustle guy so he gets tackles there not in the backfield but they are tackles. Now Justin is suffering because he has inferior linemen around him, I agree the linemen are not that impressive but he is one of them, he's not beating the one on one block basically you are telling me that he has to be unblocked because they are trying to stop someone else from getting in for him to get to the quarterback consistently. Every defensive end in the league could get to the quarterback if he was unblocked, these guys will see a highlight of him making a sack and will be on the board saying I told you so. I say Justin will have six sacks at the most next year, getting to the quarterback is just not his thing.

I agree that Justin is not JUST struggling because of the players around him. My point was based on his production dropping during years the defense has struggled as a whole. The years the Bengals defense has played better as a whole are the years Smith has produced more, 2001, 2005. The Bengals problems start up upfront with the DTs. They are MORE of a problem than Justin Smith. Justin has more talent than Thornton or Robinson. Make improvements to the DTs and Justin will have a better year but it still won't be enough to give this defense the help it needs. That being said, he needs to go regardless of what the Bengals do with the defense.

Justin is what he is, and I agree with Hair's assessment that we'll miss him more than we think. That said, it's time to move on. The lesson to learn is that one good defensive lineman doesn't make a good defensive line. Hopefully the Bengals have finally figured that out.

I agree that Justin is not JUST struggling because of the players around him. My point was based on his production dropping during years the defense has struggled as a whole. The years the Bengals defense has played better as a whole are the years Smith has produced more, 2001, 2005. The Bengals problems start up upfront with the DTs. They are MORE of a problem than Justin Smith. Justin has more talent than Thornton or Robinson. Make improvements to the DTs and Justin will have a better year but it still won't be enough to give this defense the help it needs. That being said, he needs to go regardless of what the Bengals do with the defense.

I'm fairly confident that the guys who sign the paychecks know alot more about talent than the ShulaSteakhouses of the world.

Bottom Line: Justin Smith is about to break the bank again, and for good reason.

The same experts that are allegedly about the sign Justin drafted Alex garbage Smith number one in the draft too, but I'm sorry they are experts they know talent. They also signed a decent at best cornerback that did not make the pro bowl to a 80 million dollar contract, no but they are experts and never make mistakes. What you are saying does not have any validity if what you said made since then there would never be any busts in the draft because the guys signing checks would always know what they are talking about.

I'm fairly confident that the guys who sign the paychecks know alot more about talent than the ShulaSteakhouses of the world.

Bottom Line: Justin Smith is about to break the bank again, and for good reason.

The same experts that are allegedly about the sign Justin drafted Alex garbage Smith number one in the draft too, but I'm sorry they are experts they know talent. They also signed a decent at best cornerback that did not make the pro bowl to a 80 million dollar contract, no but they are experts and never make mistakes. What you are saying does not have any validity if what you said made since then there would never be any busts in the draft because the guys signing checks would always know what they are talking about.

Sorry, let me clarify things for you. Unless you're willing to claim that Smith won't break the bank as a free agent your claims that he can't beat a double team or only makes tackles 7 yards past the LOS aren't worth anything. It's just a bunch of worthless yammering.

Frankly, we know how highly the Bengals have valued Justin Smith, and armed with years and years worth of film to study we're now about to find out what other NFL teams think about his worth.

I say he breaks the bank.

I say he breaks the bank.

Not that I dilike Justin in any way, he gives his best every game and frankly that's all any of us can ask, but for the talent he posseses that doesn't tally. So good luck to him but we can use our cap elsewhere. His departure just opens up another hole for us to fill on defense.

I'll miss his effort but we need some genuine "break the bank" production to go along with that.

Remember when Warren Sapp went to a 3-4 defense? Didn't work too well.

Personnel execs **** up all the time. They probably know more than Shula about talent, but they're also under a whole lot more pressure and are forced to make moves that don't make sense because they want to make a splash with a big name. Crap, look at the NBA - I'm pretty sure the average fan would do a better job than Isiah.