So much for Dansby

TJJackson

He was just franchise tagged by the Cardinals

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...y.ap/index.html

And is why I went into a meltdown during that draft! So many better players than the Porcelain Princess were available, yet we took the King of the IR list. <_<

Demorrio appears to be a lot like (small-ish, lots of tackles, weakside guy) another NFL linebacker named Landon Johnson. You may have heard of him :) Both are UFAs, obviously. Frankly, I'd rather (re)sign Landon - but if Landon signs elsewhere, yeah, Demorrio would appear to be a solid replacement. Even better, I'd like to see us sign Dhani to a 3-5 year contract for the weakside starting spot

Calvin Pace came into his own this past season as a 3-4 outside linebacker, where he had been previously playing (with less success) a 4-3 DE. Unless you are in the "we're definitely going to be a 3-4 team" camp, this is not a UFA you covet for the Bengals. So are you a 3-4 guy, sweetie?

That said, if you're only using these two as examples of above average quality players who will cost a lot less - the kind that New England especially has made their fortune acquiring - then yeah, I'm excited about them as well.

Dansby is a special case.....he is IMHO the one that "got away" when the Bengals decided on "Balsa Boy" Perry instead.

So are you a 3-4 guy, sweetie?

In a word, no. But as I've written about previously, when you consider the players the Bengals have lost to injury, and add the ones they're likely to lose in free agency this year AND the next, then the timing couldn't be better for a change. So I have no problem with the idea that the Bengals are considering a switch and will let the type of players available determine whether they change or not.

That said, one of the things that outraged me the most during the dark days was the way the Bengals endlessly flopped back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes...repeatedly casting off players who suddenly didn't fit the system, and the idea that they may be about to repeat that folly once again is a nagging thought that tickles at my brainpan. In short, it's disturbing to think about how little defensive identity this franchise has always had, and how the problem still remains 5 years into to the Marvin Lewis era.

Who are we?

All I'll add is if the Bengals do switch to a 3-4, well......how about committing to it for at least a decade or two?

All I'll add is if the Bengals do switch to a 3-4, well......how about committing to it for at least a decade or two?

And all I'll add is this question about the 3-4 mumbo-jumbo talk going on here. WHO WILL PLAY NOSE TACKLE!?! :wacko:

And all I'll add is this question about the 3-4 mumbo-jumbo talk going on here. WHO WILL PLAY NOSE TACKLE!?! :wacko:

Peko. Now shaddup.

Seriously, anyone here give me one reason to stick with the 4-3. Not that the 3-4 guarantees big improvements, but show me the good 4-3 we have had the last five years? Show me the front office commitment to the two top-shelf DTs you need to make a 4-3 work. At least a 3-4 only needs one top DT (NT) to work, right? And we do have LBs in excess and a dearth of d-linemen, right?

Sheesh. All people can do is b*tch about a NT when we have ZERO defensive linemen that can play a 4-3...[seinfeld]what's up with that?[/seinfeld]

Peko. Now shaddup.

Peko!?! He's never taken a snap at NT in any level! I'd prefer a move in the FA market here.

Read your own signature line. (Draft lineman, lineman, and more lineman!)

Thank you Hair. IMHO the Bengals currently have no player that will excel here. Demato is good, but should remain at tackle/guard if the 3-4 does occur. Bring in an impact player to line up at NT, and I'd be in heaven! ;)