Looks Like the Sky's the Limit Again

HoosierCat

For anyone looking for signs of what this year's FA period will be like, here's one: per PFT, the Jags (another broke, small market club that can't even fill its stadium) just paid $3.4 million a year for a fullback.

POSTED 11:07 a.m. EST, February 13, 2008

JAGS MAKE JONES HIGHEST-PAID FULLBACK IN LEAGUE HISTORY

The Jacksonville Jaguars have announced that a new contract has been reached with fullback Greg Jones. An NFLPA source tells us that it's a five-year, $17.4 million deal, which includes up to $3 million incentives. (We've been unable to reach agent Drew Rosenhaus to confirm these numbers.)

Per the source, Jones will receive $4.5 million in bonus money, in the form of a $2.5 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2008 league year, and a $500,000 roster bonus due in 2009.

In each year of the deal, Jones gets a per-game roster bonus worth a total of $50,000, and a workout bonus in the amount of $50,000.

The base salary in year one is $525,000. In 2009, it goes to $2.48 million. For 2010, the base salary is $3 million. In 2011, it's $3.1 million. For 2012, it moves to $3.4 million.

The base deal averages $3.4 million over five years, $400,000 per year more than the six-year, $18 million deal signed last year by Ovie Mughelli, who moved from the Ravens to the Falcons.

Jones would have been eligible to reach free agency on February 29.

That suggests this year's FA period is going to look a lot like last year's -- tons o' cash for even marginal players, never mind what potential young starters like Landon, Justin or Madieu will draw, or a guy like Justin.

Can't say I'm surprised. Some really bad deals came out last year after some teams found themselves with more cash than expected when the cap bumped after the new CBA.

I'll say this - and I'll point Hair at this post next time he accuses me of having some pathological hatred for Mikey - but the 30 owners who voted for the new CBA are making Mike Brown (and Ralph Wilson) look like geniuses right now. The owners took it in the can on the last negotiation.

All true DC. Bowlen in Denver is freaking out, saying the owners may want to void the CBA after next season. He seems to think the owners gave away too large a revenue share to the players.

Bowlen also seems to think the owners need protection from... themselves, I guess. The Broncos have been very active in free agency. It's his own fault, and the fault of any owner who throws caution and fiscal restraint to the wind and overpays for good, not great, players.

It's all but done that the owners will exercise their option to void the "new" CBA next year and try to get some give-backs from the players union. Even Cowboys owner Jerry Jones admitted that recently. So essentially the threat of an uncapped year (2010, I think) is already back.

Can't say I'm surprised. Some really bad deals came out last year after some teams found themselves with more cash than expected when the cap bumped after the new CBA.

It is what it is. The highest paid players at most positons aren't the most talented...just the most recently signed, and what seems like a bad deal today usually doesn't seem so bad two or three years down the road. Plus, teams will always be more willing to make a free agent the highest paid at his position if that player toils in a marginalized role like FB...as we all learned a few years ago when the Bengals made the same type of splash. In short, an extra 500k or a measly million bucks here or there all but guarantee that you can retain the services of important role players like Jones, but it's just a single drop in a very big bucket at nearly every other position.

I'll say this - and I'll point Hair at this post next time he accuses me of having some pathological hatred for Mikey - but the 30 owners who voted for the new CBA are making Mike Brown (and Ralph Wilson) look like geniuses right now. The owners took it in the can on the last negotiation.

Did you just call Mike Brown a genius?

Perhaps we should all pause and reflect on what we've just witnessed.

pauses/reflects/strokes chin beard

For the record, Denver Bronco owner Pat Bowlen was the latest NFL owner to admit what a terrible deal the last CBA has been for NFL owners, joining the growing ranks of about seven or eight other owners who have since come forward to complain loudly and publically. In fact, I read an article recently about Bowlen being so outraged about a horrible deal being foisted upon the owners at the last minute that he led a group of owners who blocked Paul Tagliabue from joining the Hall of Fame.

It's all but done that the owners will exercise their option to void the "new" CBA next year and try to get some give-backs from the players union. Even Cowboys owner Jerry Jones admitted that recently. So essentially the threat of an uncapped year (2010, I think) is already back.

And Gene Upshaw has said if they do that they can forget about ever seeing a salary cap again. I'd say if Goodell and Upshaw don't get cozy soon, the chances of a strike in a couple of years is looking pretty good.

These idiots need to recall what happened to baseball in 1994.

And Gene Upshaw has said if they do that they can forget about ever seeing a salary cap again.

Which is not necessarily the worst thing that could happen. Remember, the players would end up shooting themselves in the foot here, too. No salary cap also means no salary floor -- players would no longer get any guaranteed chunk of the revenues. Yes, a few teams, such as Dallas, NE and DC would have an advantage over the rest of the league, but the cap has been a running joke in places like DC for years, and they haven't been able to buy a championship. And football isn't baseball: the season is short and all it takes is a bad call, a bit of bad luck, or one Kimo von Kneecapper moment and the best-financed plans of millionaires go down the tube.