Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch on probation

BengalszoneBilly

This is getting good really QUICK! :P

Stewart, Busch on probation

February 12, 2008

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- NASCAR has decided on a punishment for Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch.

NASCAR placed Stewart and Busch on probation Tuesday for six races, beginning with Sunday's Daytona 500.

The penalties stemmed from a bumping incident during last Friday's practice session for Saturday's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona International Speedway.

After the on-track incident, the two former series champions carried their disagreement into the NASCAR officials' trailer - where Stewart reportedly punched Busch.

NASCAR, however, said the probation stems solely from the on-track portion of their incident.

When teams and crew members arrived at Daytona for Saturday morning's practice, Busch was wearing sunglasses to cover up his apparent wound.

However, at an appearance for Gillette later on Saturday, Busch's sunglasses were off - and there were no signs of a bruise from an altercation.

Neither side, nor NASCAR officials, will confirm if that actually occurred.

Jonathan Gibson, vice president of Penske Performance, Inc., issued a statement on behalf of Busch's team.

"We acknowledge NASCAR's decision with regard to the incident that occurred on the track during practice on Friday evening," the statement read. "Kurt and the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge team are now squarely focused on the Gatorade Duels and with winning the Daytona 500."

Friday's incident on the race track developed when Busch tried to block Stewart's Toyota in practice. Stewart rammed into the back of Busch's Dodge, triggering the crash.

On the way back to the pit area, Busch began to ram his car into the side of Stewart's as both continued onto pit road.

Stewart and Busch also were also ordered to another meeting in the NASCAR hauler Saturday morning, where they were told to stay away from each other on the race track to avoid future incidents.

The same drivers were involved in a similar incident in last June's race at Dover, Delaware. After the two cars crashed, Busch rammed his car into Stewart's while it was being repaired in the pits.

Busch was parked for the remainder of that race by NASCAR officials, fined $100,000 and docked 100 points in the championship.

I'm not a knowledgable NASCAR fan. I read the above article, and Kurt Busch has rammed his car into Stewart's car twice, both times when they weren't racing, but after racing. Shouldn't they kick this guy out or something? During the race is one thing, but after the racing is over, please stop driving your car into the other guy's car.

I'm not a knowledgable NASCAR fan. I read the above article, and Kurt Busch has rammed his car into Stewart's car twice, both times when they weren't racing, but after racing. Shouldn't they kick this guy out or something? During the race is one thing, but after the racing is over, please stop driving your car into the other guy's car.

Glad to see a football/golf fans interest in motorsports. Here's my explanation of what happened. Both of these guys are past Cup Champions, and there is a long time rivalry involved here. Sort of like Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, or your revered Vijay Singh. One driver/golfer will not take the slightest (what they consider) disrespect from the other lightly. Long story short, Nascar will put up with things that the officials in the PGA would abhor.

I'm a horrible golfer, and I realize comparing top PGA players rivalries to Nascar slugfests is beyond even apples and oranges, but I hope it give you an insight into this sport I've loved for as long as you have probably loved teeing up that little white ball and sent it screaming down the fairway. That's where our two spots meet, because then it becomes all about speed and accuracy.