Carson Palmer

DDOGG

TDS--26

INT--20

YDS--4,131

RTG--86.7

Even with Palmer's record setting yards in a season he still is doing pretty bad for a 2002 Heisman trophy winner, and Chad Johnson wasnt helping him much throughout the season either.

What are your thoughts on this?

and Chad Johnson wasnt helping him much throughout the season either.

Hate to break this to you CBF, but Carson threw passes to Chad for 1440 yards. More yardage than any other Bengals receiver last season. If that ain't help, I don't know what is.

His down year still produced better stats than the majority of the league and better than any heisman trophy winning QB in the league. Just think, he did this behind a new offensive line and no running game for the majority of the season. I know he is the golden boy and we expect top 3 stats every year but I'll take top ten any year. Carson wasn't our problem. He had to try and win evrything by himself because he didn't have a running game,defense, or special teams to give him any help which made him force more passes than normal.

Don't worry though. It's just a matter of time before bengal fans turn on Carson Palmer and try to run him out of town just like they do with every other top player we have ever had...

You're right Joe. I remember the HUGE uprisings we had against Kenny Anderson, Bill Bergey, Boobie Clark, David Fulcher, Issac Curtis, Ickey Woods, Cris Collinsworth, Tim Kumrie, Anthony Munoz, Mike Reid, Boomer Esiason, the list goes on... :rolleyes:

Jesus...when did you jump on the Bengals bandwagon? Probably 10 years ago is my guess.

Don't worry though. It's just a matter of time before bengal fans turn on Carson Palmer and try to run him out of town just like they do with every other top player we have ever had...

You're right Joe. I remember the HUGE uprisings we had against Kenny Anderson, Bill Bergey, Boobie Clark, David Fulcher, Issac Curtis, Ickey Woods, Cris Collinsworth, Tim Kumrie, Anthony Munoz, Mike Reid, Boomer Esiason, the list goes on... :rolleyes:

Jesus...when did you jump on the Bengals bandwagon? Probably 10 years ago is my guess.

This is a new day and age Billy were fair weathers loom the streets of Cincinnati, just wait for the Reds season to start (I missed maybe a dozen games last year that were on FSN)... I have to say, Joe's got the right idea. I really hope they turn this around next year and get back to the playoffs or this team will likely implode.

Hate to break this to you CBF, but Carson threw passes to Chad for 1440 yards. More yardage than any other Bengals receiver last season. If that ain't help, I don't know what is.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Carson was throwing more than ever to everybody, but that's because the defense and running game sucked. Chad's still a great receiver when he wants to be - but from watching the games, you have to admit there was too many drops, wrong routes, etc.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Carson was throwing more than ever to everybody, but that's because the defense and running game sucked. Chad's still a great receiver when he wants to be - but from watching the games, you have to admit there was too many drops, wrong routes, etc.

Agreed, but in fairness, Palmer had overthrown, underthrow, and just plain missed way more passes than say his glory season of 2005. The mechanics were off, for whatever reasons. Still had a good year, not great, and can fine tune it and be the 'third-best quarterback' everyone still regards him as.

Agreed, but in fairness, Palmer had overthrown, underthrow, and just plain missed way more passes than say his glory season of 2005. The mechanics were off, for whatever reasons. Still had a good year, not great, and can fine tune it and be the 'third-best quarterback' everyone still regards him as.

Palmer touched on that during the Mike Tirico interview. He praised the play of the offensive line but admitted the offense underperformed, and mentioned poor timing and miscommunication between himself and his receivers. He went on to say that he was busy reviewing all of last seasons games and mentioned the need to find better checkdown options for the coming season. And he admitted that his mechanics weren't as good as they've been...though he didn't offer a reason for the decline.

My advice? Since Chad is going to pout regardless of what Palmer does....stop forcing the ball his way.

I think his biggest problem was the oline not blocking for him. Sacks were down but he was constantly harassed from all sides. Every QB in the league has a bad day with the kind of blocking he had all season. Look at Brady's playoff game against the chargers. They kept the pressure on and he had a bad day.

Miscommunications with his receivers were probably the second biggest thing, followed by trying to overcompensate for the defense.

I think his biggest problem was the oline not blocking for him. Sacks were down but he was constantly harassed from all sides.

That's exactly what I saw happening last year. Not only that, but the offensive line was weak at opening up running lanes. That's why I'm all for drafting LINEMEN!

BTW "00bengals00", welcome to Bengalszone.

...........................He had a bad year he tryed to hard but he was also getting rid of the ball way too early...Ya we had record season for sacks allowed only because carson was getting rid of the ball quickly.

It was rather obvious that this was the problem. It seems that getting hit more than any other quarterback in the league in '06 while recovering from the knee surgery was a factor in Carson's play this past year. This, perhaps combined with the pressure he must have felt every time the offense had the ball (knowing that the defense nor the running game could be counted on), led to his inconsistency. He was never relaxed, rushed practically all of his throws, and seemed to predetermine where the ball was going to be thrown on most plays (as was frustratingly pointed out so many times during the Saturday night game by Deion Sanders). He just seemed content to launch the ball as soon as he finished his drop. Now whether this is because he was so concerned about not taking the sack or because he was concerned about not taking the hit is a mystery. In any event Carson needs to start believing in his protection (even if it's not there) so that he stops hurrying his throws.

And as for the interceptions, I'm sure Carson would be the first to tell you he made some bad decisions/throws, but I think we can all agree that he had reason to be forcing a lot of passes that he otherwise might not if the rest of the team played worth a damn. Also, the Arizona and 2nd Pittsburgh games were the only times that Carson was really holding the team back instead of vice versa. Also, I'm sure there will be truer tests, but I think it's silly to question Carson's clutchness at this point. No one really seemed to make a mention, but that throw to Chad at the end of the 49ers game was absolutely on the money, he didn't even get the ball against Seattle, there wasn't sufficient time left against Cleveland, etc.

2005: 3,836 yards, 32 TD, 12 INT

2006: 4,035 yards, 28 TD, 13 INT

2007: 4,131 yards, 26 TD, 20 INT

Yeah, he sucks. Guess it's time to draft Brian Brohm at #9 at cut our losses. :P