Pollack will decide soon

oldschooler

Pollack will decide soon

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

MASON – David Pollack this morning referred to Feb. 8 as “D-Day” in terms of his possible return to the NFL as a player.

“I should have all the details that I need to make an informed decision,” said Pollack, who last played football Sept. 17, 2006, for the Bengals against Cleveland.

That afternoon, Pollack suffered a C6 vertebra fracture. He underwent surgery Jan. 3, 2007 to repair the neck fracture.

Dr. Anthony Guanciale, director of orthopedic spine surgery at University of Cincinnati Hospital, has treated Pollack from the day of his injury and will meet with him next month.

In the meantime, Pollack, whose weight is back up to his listed playing weight of 250-255 pounds, is working as a trainer at the Ignition training group in Mason. He is working with 11 NFL hopefuls, including four players from the University of Cincinnati, and leading Bible study for them on Wednesday nights at his home.

Pollack, now 25, was the 17th overall draft pick by the Bengals in 2005 from the University of Georgia. He has played in 16 games with six starts in three NFL seasons.

After the injury, he was fitted with a protective halo and then a neck brace.

Today he bounced around the facility, performing strength and speed drills with the college players who are preparing for the NFL scouting combine of their pro-day workouts.

“I always hoped I would be stronger than where I am now,” Pollack said during a break in his workout at Ignition. “The day I got out of the neck brace I did (bench pressed) 135 (pounds) seven times. I think I went into full-body seizure, contracting, dying, but since I’ve been up here at Ignition I’ve done 225 (pounds) 22 times (repetitions). It’s coming along. It’s not where I’d like it to be. I’m working as hard as I can. I’ve got these young bucks up here training, so it makes it more fun to work out with them.”

As a public figure whose injury and upcoming decision are well known, Pollack receives plenty of advice.

“People send me letters and talk to me all the time, `You shouldn’t play. You shouldn’t play.’ But if you’re cleared to play I don’t see why you shouldn’t play,” he said. “It’s like saying you’re cleared to do your work but shouldn’t.

“If I get the OK from the doctor, it’s definitely something I would want to pursue. I’ve been playing football since I was 6, and I love everything about it. One way or another, I will always be a part of it.”

Pollack worked as a commentator on the CBS network pre-game show for Southeastern Conference football broadcasts.

“I love to talk,” he said. “I’ve always loved to talk. … I don’t need (to play) football. A lot of people don’t need a coat when you go outside to walk to you car, but you want one. I definitely want football in my life. I can see why people would say I should just walk away.

"Then I have people in my life who say get out there. I can pray about it and seek what God would want me to do. If it’s time to hang ‘em up it’s time to hang ‘em up. But if it’s time to go forward, it’s time to go forward. One way or another it’s not going to make or break my life. I might be in another situation, but it’s not life. It’s football.”

If he returns to playing, Pollack wants to play defensive end – not outside linebacker. He played both in college and was able to put on the extra weight to play on the line.

“Hands down, absolutely,” he said. “At linebacker, you have a lot of 5-yard collisions, where the fullback has a head start and a head-on collision. If you’re at defensive end, very rarely do you have a hard collision. You’re 6 inches in front of your target and firing off and hitting your target right there. I’ve made that pretty clear. Special teams would be something I wouldn’t be able to do.

“There are things that, if I get to come back, would be limitations. Defensive end definitely makes a lot more sense.”

Pollack and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis remain close personally and in constant contact.

“We were (text-messaging) this morning for about 5 minutes,” Pollack said. “I’ve told him that from the beginning. I have talked about that with him. He is a phenomenal guy. I love Coach Lewis.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0057/1066/rss07

Great! Just what we need - a light, weak DE to get pancaked every rushing play. Oh, well - it's pretty close to Jon Hayes dream lineman . . . William Wallace!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Lance McAlister had Clif Marshall Director of Ignition Performance on his show yesterday. He runs a national NFL combine program here in Cincinnati for draft prospects. He talked at length on the fact that David Pollack has been working out with them and I believe he is also on the staff for Ignition.

He mentioned that Pollack beat all of the trainees in one of the speed and agility drills recently. When asked if Pollack has mentioned what he wants to do, the guy said he didn't know.

He's done. These types of Limitations and NFL don't combine... Sad... Seriously, if he's worried about contact with a FB that has a full head of steam, he's obviously worried about contact to a certain degree. This contact could seriously injure David. I don't care if your on the line or your playing LB, you can't avoid contact in the NFL!

Good luck David.

He's done. These types of Limitations and NFL don't combine... Sad... Seriously, if he's worried about contact with a FB that has a full head of steam, he's obviously worried about contact to a certain degree. This contact could seriously injure David. I don't care if your on the line or your playing LB, you can't avoid contact in the NFL!

Good luck David.

We can't have someone on defense that is looking to avoid contact, I can understand why but that's not going to work.

He was better at DE anyways. Seems like, given he's bench pressing near his combine reps and weight, gained the weight back on and still has the quickness, it's the mental aspect that might prevent him from returning. Of course the doctors might still nix the whole thing anyway.

He was better at DE anyways. Seems like, given he's bench pressing near his combine reps and weight, gained the weight back on and still has the quickness, it's the mental aspect that might prevent him from returning. Of course the doctors might still nix the whole thing anyway.

Mike Brown will have to decide if paying him 1st round money to be a situational player is the way to go. Or David may agree to redo his contract. But the man is really delusional to think that playing DE will be safer than LB given that his neck was broken.

His wife needs to throw a few wifey haymakers at him to see if 1. She can knock some sense in him and 2. if his neck is really ready.

It doesn't sound good when you talk of avoiding contact. In this case, it seems he is talking about avoiding collisions of a certain degree. At least he's honest. He's a stand up guy that is telling it like it is. Hell, he may come back cleared to play and realize he's better off than he thought. Who knows?

The good side is that he is a good leader and an example for the defense, he's genuine, on top of that he's physically back to where he was (give or take the neck). If he does come back I think that he's worth the risk and from everything we've been speculating up to date, this article is great news.

I've seen crazier sh*t in my life happen. Let's hope for the best for him.

He won't be back. Yes, end would be safer, but his arms are too short. He was a great college player, but his career is done.

He and his medical staff has that say. Not us. My money is on he'll be back in stripes because the fire still burns bright. Whether or not that's a sound decision remains to be seen.

Mike Brown will have to decide if paying him 1st round money to be a situational player is the way to go. Or David may agree to redo his contract. But the man is really delusional to think that playing DE will be safer than LB given that his neck was broken.

It doesn't sound good when you talk of avoiding contact. In this case, it seems he is talking about avoiding collisions of a certain degree. At least he's honest. He's a stand up guy that is telling it like it is. Hell, he may come back cleared to play and realize he's better off than he thought. Who knows?

The good side is that he is a good leader and an example for the defense, he's genuine, on top of that he's physically back to where he was (give or take the neck). If he does come back I think that he's worth the risk and from everything we've been speculating up to date, this article is great news.

Agreed. Plenty of situational players can help their teams win games. None are on 1st round money though. Just hope he makes the right decision for himself and his family.

All I know is Pollack was suppose to be something special when we drafted him. We only got to see minor glimpses of that in his rookie year, and then he was hurt early in his second year. I say if the doctors give him the ok to play, and he wants to play DE, Marvin should give him a chance. Hell, he can't be any worse than Justin Smith, and will surely be alot cheaper. :rolleyes:

I know what you are saying about the contact, but he does have a point regarding the fact that linebackers are involved in violent collisions several times a game. That is far different than the contact a DE is subjected to.

As long as he is safe, I hope he makes it back. They sure could use the leadership.

I know what you are saying about the contact, but he does have a point regarding the fact that linebackers are involved in violent collisions several times a game. That is far different than the contact a DE is subjected to.

As long as he is safe, I hope he makes it back. They sure could use the leadership.

Right. I'd like to think what he is thinking is this: Feb 8th comes and the doc says he's cleared to play at ANY position. The doctor says the risk factor for another injury is a 1 at DE. For LB and ST it is a 2. Neither will paralyze or kill him, there is just a greater risk of injury at LB.

That's what I hope happens. Pollack does have a point though, LB is one of the most violent positions on the field. Whether or not he is mentally ready is something we'll have to see but it has to come after the Bengals commit to keeping him on the roster. I think it's worth the risk and I would think Pollack would restructure his deal in a heartbeat to get on the field again.

Hobson has a Pollack piece up now. I thought this was telling:

The decision whether to play or retire, he says, is going to come shortly after his Feb. 8 appointment with a neck expert in Los Angeles.

"Then I'll pray about it," he says. "I'll seek God, make sure I'm not relying on me just to make the decision, and then see what He's got for me.

"The toughest thing is that no doctor we've met with has been able to give us a percentage," Pollack says. "Trust me. I'm not going to do anything stupid. If someone said there was a 50-percent chance I'd break my neck again, I promise I wouldn't go anywhere near a field again. We'll see."

The toughest thing is that no doctor we've met with has been able to give us a percentage. That makes it tough, indeed...

Well on TV last night he was working out pretty hard and looked good - basically beating the pants off the guys he was sprinting with.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's pretty serious about coming back at this point, and is looking for a vote of confidence from his doctor.

He's up to 255 - about 10 pounds lighter than he wants to be he said. Sounds like he's got most of his strength back too.

I also agree he should be used as he has in college - as a DE - where the collisions aren't in the open field and he isn't doing things he's not used to as a LB. I always thought he'd be best used as a Mike Vrabel type, and have that kind of career.