Adam Schecter on NFL Network and Chad Johnson

GregCook

The fun is just beginning. Schecter reported today that 85 has big unresolved issues with the Bengals. He reported Chad will be unhappy if TJ gets an extension without one of his own. Reiterated that the Bengals are firm that 85 isn't going anywhere.

Schecter is the resident gossip monger on NFL Networks, so consider the source. But what are the odds that 85's agent is reaching out anonymously to Schecter to start his campaign for a new Ocho Cinco contract? Cien%

Here's the story as reported on their site:

Two prominent receivers expected to seek trades

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

The next two could be coming out of Cincinnati and Denver, where Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson and Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker are expected to try to seek trades.

Cincinnati sounds far less open to dealing its wide receiver than Denver.

Since last season, when the grumblings about Johnson’s future first began, the Bengals have been adamant about refusing to trade the receiver who set the franchise record this season for receiving yardage.

However, a showdown is looming in Cincinnati, where few of the Bengals are happy with the way this past season went and some, including Johnson, could opt to seek their exit.

For starters, Johnson and Palmer did not connect the way they did in other seasons. Also, the Bengals are expected to try to retain Pro Bowl wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who has one year remaining on his contract. Should the two sides come to the agreement that many expect, it could send Johnson back to the bargaining table to rework a six-year, $35.5 million contract extension he signed in April 2006.

However it plays out, sources close to the situation insist that the Bengals have not heard the last from Johnson this off-season. The story is just beginning.

chad if he has a problem with the bengals resigning TJ, a player that has out played him then he need to go. the last thing we need is for chad to get pissed because we resign other players. chad got his deal redone, to me his play since his last deal does not deserve a raise. so what is his major problem?

chad if he has a problem with the bengals resigning TJ, a player that has out played him then he need to go. the last thing we need is for chad to get pissed because we resign other players. chad got his deal redone, to me his play since his last deal does not deserve a raise. so what is his major problem?

As close as TJ and Chad are, I think this is coming more from Chad's A$$hole agent than it is from Chad...though there is a lot of things I wouldn't put past Chad to say, this is not one of them. Why would a guy get mad for the Bengals extending the contract of one of his best friends and teammate? A guy that takes heat off of him so he isn't double covered every play? A guy that rode in the ambulance to the hospital with him? Drew Rosenhous is an idiot...I think you all know that by now.

This is a question of how dumb/smart Chad Johnson is. If he truly wants to go to a winning team, just what winning team would trade for what the Bengals would ask for? No smart team would. The Pats got Randy for a 4th rnder. The Bengals wouldn't do that, so Chad has to ask himself does he want to go to the Dolphins, Falcons or Raiders? He is luck to play for one of the best QB's in the game. If he thinks that he'll have the same stats with Kyle Orton he's nuts. As bad as the 7-9 Bengals were, and this year was bad. Chad set a record for the most receiving yards, and TJ had the most receptions. That is possible because of Carson Palmer. The Colts and Pats won't make an offer.

As close as TJ and Chad are, I think this is coming more from Chad's A$$hole agent than it is from Chad...though there is a lot of things I wouldn't put past Chad to say, this is not one of them. Why would a guy get mad for the Bengals extending the contract of one of his best friends and teammate? A guy that takes heat off of him so he isn't double covered every play? A guy that rode in the ambulance to the hospital with him? Drew Rosenhous is an idiot...I think you all know that by now.

Yeah, I get the same vibe.

This is a question of how dumb/smart Chad Johnson is. If he truly wants to go to a winning team, just what winning team would trade for what the Bengals would ask for? No smart team would. The Pats got Randy for a 4th rnder. The Bengals wouldn't do that, so Chad has to ask himself does he want to go to the Dolphins, Falcons or Raiders? He is luck to play for one of the best QB's in the game. If he thinks that he'll have the same stats with Kyle Orton he's nuts. As bad as the 7-9 Bengals were, and this year was bad. Chad set a record for the most receiving yards, and TJ had the most receptions. That is possible because of Carson Palmer. The Colts and Pats won't make an offer.

Very well said...

I think it is moot to listen to chatter by Chad right now. If he's still bitching when it gets to April then I would be concerned. He needs to chill for a while and enjoy his success over the last 6 years and get his mind set to have a great year next year.

The fun is just beginning. Schecter reported today that 85 has big unresolved issues with the Bengals. He reported Chad will be unhappy if TJ gets an extension without one of his own. Reiterated that the Bengals are firm that 85 isn't going anywhere.

Schecter is the resident gossip monger on NFL Networks, so consider the source. But what are the odds that 85's agent is reaching out anonymously to Schecter to start his campaign for a new Ocho Cinco contract? Cien%

I'll be surprised if this story has merit. First I think that Chad is the prime reason for TJ's success on the field. Since he is perpetually double covered this loosens the coverages on TJ and Henry. I'm sure that TJ must know that. On the other side of the issue TJ's success should loosen the coverages on Chad too. and I suspect that Chad should know that as well.

Financially Chad should be paid like a #1 receiver and TJ as the #2 receiver. Unless Chad is absolutely crazy I think that he be insane to force the issue. What he needs to do is to come back this season and lead the league in yardage again.

What is the number the Bengals are looking at in regards to the cap hit they would take for letting Chad go ?? I think that, coupled with the fact that a 3rd rounder isn't near what they would want keeps him here. Well, that and he keeps producing... As much as Chad pisses me off, I think I would be hot if they only got a 3rd for him. That would piss me off more !!!

Package Chad our first and second to the Dolphins for their #1 and select Glenn Dorsey !!! YEAH RIGHT !!!

WHODEY !!!

UUUUUgh. I am so f**king tired of buying a jersey and the a**h*** leaves the next year. The only jersey I own were the player stayed put it Shaun Alexander. After the year he had it wouldn't surprise me to see him get traded and Morris move up to #1 in Seattle.

The Bengals won't trade him anyways because he sells tickets. Greed will always outweigh intellect. :blowup2:

Drew works for Chad, so if this is the case, Chad should man up and put an end to it... We just signed him to a big 6-year deal in 2006, he has a questionable 2007 and now this, I am so sick of Chad period - I hope he and his selfish 12-year-old attitude go away...

Hate to sound like a broken record but I still see no concrete evidence of Chad being THAT much of a distraction. EVERY thing I've heard so far hinges on how you interpret someone's comments or body language.

There is absolutely no comparing him to TO when he was with the Igles. That...my friends...is a distraction.

In my mind Chad is just a moderate pain in the ass right now - that's it.

Here's the story as reported on their site:

However it plays out, sources close to the situation insist that the Bengals have not heard the last from Johnson this off-season. The story is just beginning.

Yeah, whateva Adam. Fornicate yourself hard you smirking nutsack. You have a degree in Journalism and that's it? That's your trite little ending? You wasted your time and everyone else's apparently for those 4 years.

Anyhoo, Chad is under contract and barring a great offer of a bujillion picks for the next five years he's here next season. I hope. Or we'll just have to go with our mighty running game instead. :rolleyes:

What is the number the Bengals are looking at in regards to the cap hit they would take for letting Chad go ??

WHODEY !!!

Trading Chad would cost 8.8 mil next year in signing bonus acceleration. He's already on the books for 6.3 mil so the net cost would be 2.5 mil to make a deal. The cap isn't the problem, it's replacing his production or getting full value for him in trade.

Cap numbers from Phatcat's excellent salary cap page at:

http://cap.go-bengals.com/