Lance Briggs

DuffMan

What do you guys think the Bengals chances of landing Lance Briggs are? I've been reading that it is almost certain that he will leave Chicago. Granted Briggs would demand a lot of money, but he is arguably one of the best LBs in the NFL and would at least bring some stability to the LB corps. I think he plays weak side so resigning Landon would probably be out of the question.

He does have character issues though...

It is why, Pidge, I am ambivelent about simply "drafting D" in the other thread. It's not that simple. What ails the Bengals on D will NOT be fixed from the 2008 draft. Free agents are the quicker answer to dealing with those issues. It's just that I don't see the team breaking from its general approach to impact free agents.

It is why, Pidge, I am ambivelent about simply "drafting D" in the other thread. It's not that simple. What ails the Bengals on D will NOT be fixed from the 2008 draft. Free agents are the quicker answer to dealing with those issues. It's just that I don't see the team breaking from its general approach to impact free agents.

Yep. I'm up to speed with you about that. The FA thing really stiffles us.

Overrated. Never get the guy (Briggs) who plays next to the best guy (Urlacher). I'm certain he'll get far more than he's worth, and won't look half as good as he does now playing next to Urlacher in a variant of the Cover 2.

Call it the Alvin Harper Syndrome....

Call it the Alvin Harper Syndrome....

;) Exactly. I almost mentioned him, but I didn't want to open the WR can of worms, but there is such a long line of #2 WRs who think they're #1s. Harper, Peerless Price..hopefully not TJ.

You also see it with overrated RBs running behind awesome O-lines (anybody from Denver not named Portis) as well as #2 DEs who don't face double teams.

Talking of FA pick ups. Would Max Starks be a decent pick up for the OL or not?

I don't see much difference between him and Stacey, albeit Starks would probably command more $$$ since he has more starting experience.

I agree that Dansby might be the better choice, but I see Arizona locking him up. The problem with Suggs is if you sign him, where does Geathers go? LE full time? I've never been that enamoured with his play against the run. Also, its a little late to swap the D to 3-4, where Suggs has played for a while. That being said, we need a pass rush desperately and dropping big bucks on a defense player who might not be a full time starter isnt that big of a deal if he is productive. Hell, Frostee and Fanaenae could probably do J. Smith's job on running downs. Geathers and Suggs together makes your DBs look that much better.

What do you guys think the Bengals chances of landing Lance Briggs are? I've been reading that it is almost certain that he will leave Chicago.

1. Granted Briggs would demand a lot of money, but he is arguably one of the best LBs in the NFL

2. and would at least bring some stability to the LB corps.

3. He does have character issues though...

1. C'mon this is the Bengals - a FA getting paid a lot of money? Not here matey.

2. Providing the Curse of the Bengals does not strike him down with injury

3. I think we already have our fair share of potential convicts